Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:53 pm It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:53 pm

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Super Noob RV Questions for a potential RV Rental 
Wanee Lover

Post Super Noob RV Questions for a potential RV Rental
My plans for SR are still very up in the air, ranging from not making it at all, all the way up to arriving Thursday evening for the entire fest. And one thing on the table is potential renting an RV. First off, has anyone on here ever rented an RV, for example from Cruise America or something similar? If so how was it?

Also, some questions about the process. Apologize in advance for my noob-ness.

First, Cruise American RV's come with generators, and seem to even come with "full water tanks"? As such is there even a benefit/need to getting W/E? What about full hook up? My understanding is full hook up is just W/E plus sewer. So is there actually a sewer hook up that connects right to your RV that allows you to flush toilet/shower drain directly, or are you just right by a dump station and have to "manually" do that?

I've also heard that big box RV rental places include, for lack of a better work, free dumping (tehehe) when you return, if true it seems like there might not be any difference between W/E and full hook up if only gonna be there 2-3 days?

If you don't have W/E, can you still flush toilet/shower from the water tank reserve?

I'm sure more questions will come up. These probably sound really stupid to anyone who has even the remotest experience with RVs, but it all new to me! Thanks!

PS, TONS of RV sites still available, almost everyone at the park except right around the lake.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:02 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

Post Re: Super Noob RV Questions for a potential RV Rental
Hi, I've never rented an RV, but have many friends who have. I might be able to help with some answers though...
As far as the Full hook up sites go, they are W/E and sewer meaning you don't have to travel to the dump station to empty your tanks after the fest. The price is only a few bucks more than regular W/E sites so it's convenient.

Yes, you can run on your generator, but I believe you have to park in the generator area which is kind of far out AND recently people have been reporting that the park is charging $25 to bring in an RV even if it's in primitive camping... If you are camping with full water tank, you can still shower/flush the toilet using the generator to run the water pump. Just be careful, when boondocking, those waste tanks can fill fast.

Like I said, I haven't rented an RV before, but many friends have for Wanee and Lockn, I haven't heard any horror stories so I think going with Reserve America is a safe bet. I think you have to return it with an empty tank with them or pay a fee for them to dump for you.

Speaking as someone who tent camped for many many years, but now is too old for ground sleeping, I love the convenience of an RV, plus set up is a breeze! Hope this helps!.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:13 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
My plans for SR are still very up in the air, ranging from not making it at all, all the way up to arriving Thursday evening for the entire fest. And one thing on the table is potential renting an RV. First off, has anyone on here ever rented an RV, for example from Cruise America or something similar? If so how was it?

We did a couple times form private parties via the internet. More $$ than we expected, but allowed us to try a couple different sizes before we bought our 24 footer. Overall pleasant experience.

Also, some questions about the process. Apologize in advance for my noob-ness.

First, Cruise American RV's come with generators, and seem to even come with "full water tanks"? As such is there even a benefit/need to getting W/E? What about full hook up? My understanding is full hook up is just W/E plus sewer. So is there actually a sewer hook up that connects right to your RV that allows you to flush toilet/shower drain directly, or are you just right by a dump station and have to "manually" do that?

LOL... on ours we travel with only a 1/4 tank of water to cut weight. (40 gal tank = 320 pounds full!)
W/E vs full hookup.. The water pump on board should run fine off a 12v battery in the coach. No need for starting generator just for water. You will need it for AC, microwave, etc. however.
A lot of the W/E sites are VERY off level, that can be an issue when camping in an RV for showers and frige.
I would either do full hookup or 'boondock' (generator camp). Especially if the price difference is negligible. You are paying $$$$ for a house on wheels... ENJOY IT. Full hookup will allow for long showers, all power on full time, and much more comfort.

I've also heard that big box RV rental places include, for lack of a better work, free dumping (tehehe) when you return, if true it seems like there might not be any difference between W/E and full hook up if only gonna be there 2-3 days?

As far as dumping, if boondocking or w/e, you can either use the one by horse camp, or when leaving. OR.. if there is a line just go to any empty slot in the loop (or anywhere..) and dump there in the sewer. Goes to the same spot, but saves a trip in line.

If you don't have W/E, can you still flush toilet/shower from the water tank reserve?

See above. YES.

I'm sure more questions will come up. These probably sound really stupid to anyone who has even the remotest experience with RVs, but it all new to me! Thanks!

Ask away. easy to forget stuff!

Like... see if the camper is a 50A or 30A service. Our 50A at the park had only a 50A receptacle, so you need an adapter to plug in 30A. I bet the general store sells them, I happen to carry an extra. Suck to arrive and you cant plug in. :!: :mrgreen:
Make sure you have a fresh water hose with you! We do NOT use our RV water to drink or cook out of caution. We carry a 5 gal jug for cooking/drinking and use the RV water for all other uses. A short hose is nice to use for cleanup after dumping. The dump station has one, but if you are dumping elsewhere you will need it.

PS, TONS of RV sites still available, almost everyone at the park except right around the lake.

If you rent the RV, cry once and get a full hookup. EASY setup, all the comforts of home. Easy departure, no waiting to dump tanks. We are arriving Monday, and dont care about rain like when we bus/tent camped. We can pull in, have a drink, relax and even take a nap if weather is foul. Yes, it costs more. But...you get more. Enjoy it.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:17 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Thanks to you both, very helpful!

I’d just assume primitive camp it, especially for a short festival when the weather should be good. Hell i get about as good of rest in my hammock tent as i do my bed at home, but my fiancé may come and she’s not exactly a rough it with camping type of person haha.

Appreciate the advice!

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:50 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

You might call the park and ask.....
but they have probably 25-30 rv's out by the fence. I don't know why or if they are there to be rented. They are obviously there for a reason!

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:06 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Those rvs are in storage for park members.

The trick to renting an rv is to rent it nearby to avoid the mileage charge. Thats where they get you.

Yes, you have no worries.....rent it. Park in the field where generators are allowed. Youll run the ac for a few hours in the afternoon and then wont need it. The rv has water and a pump and tanks and as long as you dont over use it you will be fine. Theres a free dump station by the loop

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:37 am Profile WWW
Wanee Mushroom

Oh yea the best part..... your fridge will run off propane. Also your water heater

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:38 am Profile WWW
Wanee Wizard

Thejainhand wrote:

The trick to renting an rv is to rent it nearby to avoid the mileage charge. Thats where they get you.

I think you and rivernole are referring to different campers/rv's.

Members do have a storage area up by the loop. The group of camp trailers 'Nole is referring to are in a row in the festival entrance field. There are MANY there, all in a row, and all appear to be the same make/model. (I did a quick 'drive by' count, thought there were 50!)

We rented our last one for OBJ flat rate, mileage was not a concern. (Outdoorsy? RVshare? forget what we used. )

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Hell i get about as good of rest in my hammock tent as i do my bed at home, but my fiancé may come and she’s not exactly a rough it with camping type of person haha.

Sir, you just presented the absolutely BEST argument for a full hookup slot. Happy Spouse, happy house. :mrgreen:

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:14 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Volkemon wrote:
Thejainhand wrote:

I think you and rivernole are referring to different campers/rv's.

Members do have a storage area up by the loop. The group of camp trailers 'Nole is referring to are in a row in the festival entrance field. There are MANY there, all in a row, and all appear to be the same make/model. (I did a quick 'drive by' count, thought there were 50!)

We rented our last one for OBJ flat rate, mileage was not a concern. (Outdoorsy? RVshare? forget what we used. )

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Hell i get about as good of rest in my hammock tent as i do my bed at home, but my fiancé may come and she’s not exactly a rough it with camping type of person haha.

Sir, you just presented the absolutely BEST argument for a full hookup slot. Happy Spouse, happy house. :mrgreen:

Haha, good point. Probably worth the $260-ish or whatever.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:39 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

W/E hookup with no sewer is when it gets dangerous. Those tanks fill fast when you have all the water you can use. I swear twice as much water as pee goes down when you flush. For my crew, (3 boys, 2-3 women) we can get through 3 days without dumping if we all do our part. As far as showers go, like Volke said. I have never ran out of water at a fest. The gray water tank fills before the fresh water gets empty. What you are not supposed to do is crack the gray water tank so it drips, and dig a tiny 4-6 inch hole right below the pipe and then let it slowly drain into the sand so it never gets full all weekend. Definitely dont do that. Even though you won't get caught. ;)

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:25 pm Profile
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next