Last visit was: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:07 am It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:07 am

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Florida Jazz/Blues Jam 
Wanee Lover

Post Florida Jazz/Blues Jam
January 27, Saturday- Boca Raton Fl :
    Dr. John and the Night Trippers
        Devon Allman Project
        Walter Trout
        Kenny Neal
        Marcia Ball
    I am there! Anyone else?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:24 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Florida Jazz/Blues Jam
struggling with this flu, like many of us i would not count on Dr John. yesterday the tape delay new yr eve pbs they brought him out on stage sat down at the piano that was it. :?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:44 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Eric, did you go to this last event year, when Buddy Guy headlined?

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:07 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Did not know that there was such a thing... first I heard of it this week. You, Bob ?

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:27 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Yes, we went last year. Besides Buddy Guy, they also had John Mayall, Lee Ritenour, and Victor Wooten with Dennis Chambers. The music itself, was great. It's a nice little amphitheater, you can bring in chairs, and they have real bathrooms. Like a smaller version of the amphitheater that is in downtown WPB.

But I gotta give you (and others) a fair warning... the promoter is not very professional. He had one major screwup last year, and there were some things that could easily have been improved. He opened doors over 1.5hrs late. And then, he only had one guy scanning tix... we got there at 3pm, when doors were supposed to open, and there was a long line. We left to grab some drinks and came back at 4pm, only to STILL wait in line 45min. We missed part of Mayall's set, which was delayed due to the late doors. This put everyone off the schedule, so nobody but Buddy got their full set time, per the schedule. We talked to people on line, they had to call the cops before doors opened to restore order, cuz a few guys at the front of the line were about ready to scale the fence and do violence on the promoter. LOTS of other people gave up trying to get in, either selling their tix in the lot cheap, or just tossing them in the trash.

After the fact, the promoter got on Facebook and blamed the delay on Ritenour doing a 90min sound check, saying: would you tell him he can't do a full sound check? (well, YEAH... I would actually. That happens all the time). I talked to some Live Nation staff, who partnered on the gig, they said they offered to staff up with more ticket scanners to get folks in fast, and the promoter waved them off.

The food was meh: burgers, dogs, sausage sandwiches, and pretzels. And beer & cocktails of course. There was nothing healthy or vegetarian (save for the pretzels I guess).

The stage lighting kinda sucked. There were no Vari-Lites. They used only half the permanently hung lights. At some point in Buddy's set, they turned off the spotlight. I guess the guy running spot was scheduled till only X time, so he left after his time was up. :shock:

~~~~~~~

For this upcoming event, the promoter has stated on Facebook, that he has improved the gate entry process. So take that FWIW.

I'm easy... poor lights and boring food didn't kill a good time... we made do. I had a burger, got a couple sodas and found the water fountain. "But did you die??" Well, no. But it sure could have been better. All things considered, I am not going this time.

I hope the guy improves what he's doing. What he did at the 2017 show, was not up to snuff of what people regularly experience at festivals. A couple food trucks rolled in, and a bump on the sound & lights contract to do lighting that's equal to the talent being presented?... those things don't seem at all out of reach. IMO of course :)

So! Fair warning.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:08 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Thanks for the heads up Bob! I am going for the the music and the price is right. I live 15 mile south so the ride is easy. Never even knew of the venue before this week... guess it has to do with the disorganized situation or something related. Hoping Dr. John feels better and can play, after all he's only 77 years young or so. Thanks again Bob.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:40 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

No problem!

Keep your expectations fairly low, and you'll have fun. It's a real nice venue, and a great lineup... but me personally, I'm not supporting that particular promoter until he gets his act together better.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:49 am Profile
Wanee Lover

walter trout does not need anymore than a food truck. see his facebk new yrs post? look for a grate show from him.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:35 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

adding on govt mule 8-) with the dr out

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

That's a mess of heavy guit-slingers on the lineup now...

Can't find any current info on Dr. John :|

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:39 am Profile
 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next