Last visit was: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 pm It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 pm

[ 6 posts ] 
 WTF anthrax spreads from drum circles??? 
Wanee Pro

Post WTF anthrax spreads from drum circles???
(from msnbc.com)

Hippie hazard! Drum circle spreads rhythm – and anthrax
Other drummers or drum-makers who use animal hides have come down with anthrax in the past.
JoNel Aleccia writes:Those hide-covered instruments that bring so much rhythmic pleasure may also be a source of dangerous illness: anthrax poisoning.

That's the word from government health officials following up on the case of a 24-year-old New Hampshire woman who developed gastrointestinal anthrax following a drumming circle late last year.

The woman, a vegan and organic farmer, had to undergo bowel surgery and nearly two months of hospitalization after she contracted the potentially deadly disease, apparently from the contaminated surfaces of hide-bound drums.

Her case is examined in the latest edition of the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

As many as 84 people may have been exposed to the tainted instruments during a drumming circle held at a community center in late December 2009, although the young woman was the only reported case of illness.

A CDC probe pinpointed the culprits: A 3-foot hairy cowhide drum and a tiny tambourine-like drum.

Other drummers or drum-makers who use animal hides have come down with anthrax in the past, but they had the kind that develops from breaks in the skin or when the anthrax spores are inhaled. The New Hampshire woman was the first to develop the gut-based form of the infection that made her so sick.

The drums used by the woman had a long history of use by others who didn't come down with anthrax and CDC investigators couldn't say exactly why. In any case, they conclude that the risk of infection is extremely low, partly because U.S. livestock regulations mean animal hides used here for drums aren't likely to be contaminated.

As for the victim, she's recovered and is doing well. No word on whether she's still got the beat.

Still, for those who aren't wild about drumming circles, anthrax poisoning may be one more reason to avoid them.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:27 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: WTF anthrax spreads from drum circles???
On RARE RARE RARE occasion, African made handdrums have had anthrax on them... did i mention it was RARE.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:30 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

Propoganda from the people who are trying to get some sleep at festivals...

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:37 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

Goes to show how well our ports & customs & homeland protection is!! I would not doubt this happening! My 2 cents talking!! Do not vote for any incumbent, put new young blood in office! I don't care if they are Dems. or Repubs or Indies. Anyone in office today is a crook!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:08 am Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

Dartdog82 wrote:
Goes to show how well our ports & customs & homeland protection is!! I would not doubt this happening! My 2 cents talking!! Do not vote for any incumbent, put new young blood in office! I don't care if they are Dems. or Repubs or Indies. Anyone in office today is a crook!!!!!!

^^^^What he said!!^^^^^

Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:03 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

I'm with ya on that one Dart!!

THE "MRS. VIPER DANCE"

Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:05 pm Profile
 [ 6 posts ]