Last visit was: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:56 pm It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:56 pm

[ 9 posts ] 
 Mile0Fest 
Wanee Wizard

Post Mile0Fest

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:28 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Post Re: Mile0Fest
Went Last year and it was by far the best festival I have ever been to. People were awesome which was a concern from prior country fests. The vibe was killer. It is so incredibly well organized that it made SOSMP feel like a s#%t show. Especially checking in. It was also the most expensive fest I have ever done. I bought passes and booked lodging separately this year so it is a bit cheaper. There are campgrounds down there, but for me it was worth the extra money to upgrade to a room with a kitchen. I cant find any Wanee Crossover whatsoever (maybe DBT>Isbell??) , but definitely some familiar Mag and Spring bands on there. Key West is one of my favorite places on the planet, so this was a no brainer for me. This is also a lot of the s#%t I listen to. Probably not for most people here, but it is the summer lull.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:40 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I don’t think I’ve ever listened to a single one of those bands, and probably have only even heard of a few. That being said Key West is amazing. Love that place. Last time I went I saw The Heavy Pets on back to back nights at the Smokin Tuna Salon. Super sick little venue. Don’t care much about this fest but your post has inspired me to book a trip this fall since we missed our annual late spring/early summer one. Fall not ideal, but you know what hurricanes be damned!

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:58 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Dang, a lot of good stuff there!

I'm about fifteen years past feeling 'in my budget' doing lodging in high season in Key West. I used to go to KW regularly back when I could dump the kid (when he was little) with friends for the weekend, and take the wifey down. We used to hit shoulder season, November was nice.

Still... I might look into this. Gotta be cheaper than something like Playing in the Sand. :ugeek:

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:29 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I don’t think I’ve ever listened to a single one of those bands, and probably have only even heard of a few. That being said Key West is amazing. Love that place. Last time I went I saw The Heavy Pets on back to back nights at the Smokin Tuna Salon. Super sick little venue. Don’t care much about this fest but your post has inspired me to book a trip this fall since we missed our annual late spring/early summer one. Fall not ideal, but you know what hurricanes be damned!

Smokin' Tuna has been my favorite Key West bar for years. THis festival shuts down the whole bar and allows access only to Mile0fest wristbands. Same with Dirty Harrys and Irish Kevin's (which is by far my least favorite KW bar). My wife, my dad, and I were standing right in front of the stage for Ray Wylie Hubbard last year.

Smokin Tuna is huge. There are areas that are closed off and an entire area open past the bar that most people never see. Because of this, they are allowed to let a ton of people in without violating the fire code. At Irish Kevin's Shithole money grab they had a head count limit they had to enforce. Which is crappy when you are paying to see someone and can't get in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZEvhit6h9g

at the 12:05 - 12:10 mark just after he starts "Choctaw Bingo" the camera pans to the crowd. At the point where it goes all the way to the left you can see my dad come into frame and me with long hair and sunglasses on my head standing just behind him. You can see the old man singing the Cherry Coke line. We had a blast. Doing it again in January-Feb 2020.

Great song by the way. Written by James McMurtry. Son of Larry McMurtry who wrote Lonesome Dove.

And That was your Red Dirt factoid of the day.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:54 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

beach bob wrote:
Dang, a lot of good stuff there!

I'm about fifteen years past feeling 'in my budget' doing lodging in high season in Key West. I used to go to KW regularly back when I could dump the kid (when he was little) with friends for the weekend, and take the wifey down. We used to hit shoulder season, November was nice.

Still... I might look into this. Gotta be cheaper than something like Playing in the Sand. :ugeek:

Look up the packages. They are a good deal if you can get people to commit. We booked a hotel suite just for the kitchen. And just bought wristbands to get in the venues. We can get 4 ppl in it for not much more than the single queen hotel places were getting. But they have all different types of packages for people.

Also the Outlaw Country Cruise is stopping in KW during Mile 0 for one of their days. I have a feeling there will be some crossover acts or at least some cool sit ins. There were lots of sit ins last year.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:58 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

I love Key West as well. Thanks for the info on this festival. I saw this last year and thought about it and decided to go this year. Key West lodging is expensive. Retired and active military can get much cheaper lodging at Trumbo Point which is about a mile from Duval. We bring bikes which is a great way to get around.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:23 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

nickyler wrote:
Look up the packages. They are a good deal if you can get people to commit.

Ew. Other people?!? :?

That's crazy talk!

:D

[sorry... the last two weeks have been a whirlwind of travel and family and a bit of drama intertwined in there ... we landed in Miami last night, and didn't get back to the house until well after midnight... I'm ready to do some time in the sensory deprivation chamber...]

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Indy_Hawkeye wrote:
We bring bikes which is a great way to get around.

You can rent bikes on the island as well; they are damn affordable compared to motorized things.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:35 pm Profile
 [ 9 posts ]