Last visit was: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:26 pm It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:26 pm

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 One Nation Under A Groove block party - Friday 8/30/2019 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: One Nation Under A Groove block party - Friday 8/30/2019
They’re calling it a Hurricane Party! Anyone attending? Not me... preparing for the worst takes priority.

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:10 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Me and the boy are going. Got some friends that will be there. And we may evacuate tomorrow.

It's crazy. They moved the Rolling Stones Really Big Show at the Dolphins stadium up, from Sat to Fri. So that means Night 2 for Karl Denson at the Biscuit in Boca (we went last night - killer!) is now a Fri late night show, just like yer in New Orleans or something. Because Karl be honkin' that sax for Mick and Keef donchaknow, and then the driver is gonna haulass Karl up the road at top speed for the club gig. And in the meatime, all the people who were hitting the PFunk party Friday and then the Stones on Saturday, are now in conflict and are letting their tix go for PFunk. Same with the Beck show at the Coral Sky shed, which is tonight as well. So if yer local, cheap tix for either PFunk or Beck, are gonna be out there. Lot scores should be super cheap.

Aaaaaand then we're all gonna die. Just another Labor Day weekend! :mrgreen:

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:08 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Life sucks and then you die! Enjoy Every Sandwich

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:20 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Life's a beach and then you wash up on one. :shock: :D
Stay Groovy and safe whatever you do. 8-)

Fell off the wagon,
and got on the bus.

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:57 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Nothing else to do, so... Gig review!

Revolution, being their usual cheapass / give us your money and we will do the absolute bare minimum selves, moved the show into the big room two days ahead of the gig, citing weather concerns. Oddly, that wasn't a problem for the Stones, who by all accounts, put on a solid outdoor show despite the drizzles, this very same same Friday night. I'm grateful for the Stones train wrecking everyone's original plans, because there were definitely less admits than there would have been for the street party, had there not been any other gig changes or a tropical storm. So as it turned out, it was crowded as always inside Revolution, but not unmanageable. Fortunately, they now leave the doors open to the back bar Stache, and that operates as a kind of pressure relief for the big room crush. I used it a couple times to rest my poor knees (and eardrums).

On to the tunes! As always, The Main Squeeze brings the energy and the modern R&B grooves. Corey on vocals, is a wonder. Simply one of the best. We got there at 7:15pm, and were somewhat annoyed that they put Main Squeeze first... but we still got nearly an hour of their groove. I would have been more annoyed at getting shortchanged, but we had seen them here last year, where they killed it with a two hour show for a smallish but enthusiastic crowd of true fans. GO and see these guys! They are the real deal.

Next up was Miss Velvet & the Blue Wolf. I lasted two songs :? . Miss Velvet & co. were kind of modern southern rock. Miss Velvet is a biker chick version of Jim Dandy, but with more annoying & screechy vocals. Oof... thanks, but no! Ah well, Stache has a friendly laid back vibe... I hung out there til they were done.

Fishbone? Fishbone TORE. THE. JOINT. DOWN. They play with the same energy they had in 1980... amazing! Angelo Moore held the crowd in his very capable hands. He crowd surfed several times(!)... I was right against the sunken dance floor wall as Angelo climbed along the railing, pausing to launch himself directly over my head into the waiting crowd. I caught a Chuck Taylor shoe to the side of my face... nothing fatal. Who cares? That wasn't so bad. Kick me again! I'm having a blast! Cholly make me feel good!
:lol:

Fortunately for my aged body, George Clinton & P-Funk did not do one of their interminably long sets. Geez, man... four bands, we ain't nineteen anymore! They turned in a *high energy*, compact (for P-Funk), almost two hour set. *Whew* and thank you. I saw a variant of P-Funk about fifteen years ago at one of the Tobacco Road anniversary parties down in Miami, and they bored me to tears: slow, grinding grooves that took forever to get going. None of that this time! Tight, high energy, and a cast of thousands (it seemed) strolled on & off stage as the tunes morphed. I counted typically sixteen on stage at a time, with at least another half dozen on the sidelines. P-Funk has bench depth. They did all your favorites. There was a late segment, when a couple *third generation* P-Funksters did an extended rap segment, but yaknow, if ya stick the right funky grooves behind that stuff, and avoid the gangbangin' and misogynistic lyrics (check, and check), it ain't so bad.

A good to occasionally great night, though long and tiring. I found gasoline for the van at 2am. And I had the long weekend to recover from two nights out in a row. All is well that ends well...
8-) :D

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:51 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Thanks for the revue BB. To bad you feel old, how do you do the 4 day fests?

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:43 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

eric wrote:
Thanks for the revue BB. To bad you feel old, how do you do the 4 day fests?

As far as I can tell, he does them like me...10 days at a time! 8-)

Joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:24 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Nice review BB!

Love me some Main Squeeze! Their Tsunami Set at one of the early Hulas (may have been first Hula actually) is one of my favorite live music sets of all time. Had never even heard of them before that but then WOW!

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:38 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

eric wrote:
... how do you do the 4 day fests?

I have folding chairs for the stages. 8-)

It's the standing for hours that kills my knees and energy. I can stand a couple hours, that's about my limit. I used to not even worry about that in the old days, in my 30s and 40s, and back then I preferred standing to sitting. There were more than a few first generation P-Funk fans more senior than me who were not familiar with the venue, and were dismayed that there was no seating, if you weren't VIP.

Clubbing is a young man's game. For sure.

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:26 am Profile
 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2