Last visit was: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:56 pm It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:56 pm

[ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 roots 2019 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: roots 2019
beach bob wrote:
Loading up the van tonight, and rolling north to the Suwannee first thing tomorrow!

Y'all travel safe. See ya at the stages and the campfires... 8-)

There was mention in the smaller Roots thread of a facebook post that, due to it having been extremely dry the last 6 weeks, there might be a ban on open campfires. I think that facebook thread seemed to indicate that "off the ground" fires were maybe permitted (i.e. in a portable firepit, chiminea, or something along those lines)

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:34 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Yes I saw that... yesterday I checked with my Primary Camp Goddess / Hostess, who is already at the SOSMP and has her camp set up. She reported no issue with fires, and has heard nothing about a fire ban. There was significant rain there Monday, and some today too. She excavates a big fire pit, and cooks on it all week long.

Things can always change, but I think it's looking pretty ideal!
:mrgreen:

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:58 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Well that is excellent news. I was trying to figure out how to squeeze the chimnea into the car, which would've meant leaving home either my cooler of beer, my wife, or one of my kids. :D

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:22 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fell off the wagon,
and got on the bus.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:18 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

NO fires was the final, saw a few shut down around us. I did bring an above ground pit, but asked fire control first and got the no-go.

Water slide was a HIT. I had to leave to get Pattie... got back and they had broken it. Year number two of a water slide, and Pattie has yet to see one. :x

THANKS to Matt, John and Gary for the hoses, and Jainhandband for making it happen with the generator. Group effort!

BUT... If there was someone speeding, cutting off bikes, tailgating the sh*t out of you... it was likely an employee. NOT ALL OF THEM. Many/ MOST were pleasant and polite.

There was one male employee (nassau tag on his work cart) that was openly belligerent and unsafe. Notably so. Passing traffic that was stopped for a truck backing out, and blinding the driver with his headlights. Horse trail/river road intersection. Kinda busy place!! I asked the guy "Are you freakin BLIND?!?" as he was doing so, he replied maybe. :? If I had not been occupied with grandson and grandma... I would have been on his a** all the way to management. He really needs some refreshing classes on safe cart operation.

The music I saw was fantastic. We banjo 3 impressed me. They work the crowd for all its worth! Sam Bush band was another standout.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

The burn ban was a disappointment, but understandable in the circumstances. Thought they should've done a better job of announcing it - should've had a big sign at the front gate & would've probably been wise to have the folks at check-in telling everyone when handing out the wristbands. Also would've been good to make more clear what was allowable. Got different answers depending on who you asked - some saying no fires at all, some saying no "on the ground" fires (but that it was ok if in a fire pit).

The river was really low. Has there always been a sand bar over to the right at the beach? You could literally walk all the way across over there - much of it only about knee deep, with one short dip where it was about at my armpits.

The park looked great, the river & beach were awesome as usual. Seemed like a good crowd - I thought quite a bit more than last year.

In general, I'm not that big on bluegrass; lots of very talented musicians, just mostly not my cup of beer. Nor tea. Did really enjoy WeBanjo3, though.

Had a great time, and was glad I was in the woods without a tv in front of me as Clemson was demolishing my hapless Noles.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Adding to the burn confusion, when I arrived the Saturday prior, they were splitting firewood and bagging it behind at the store. There were several fires that Saturday and Sunday around the park. With it being so dry I completely understand banning burning because of the hippies in the woods, but I couldn’t even have a stinking tiki torch! Even one immediate next to my hose at the campsite. They definitely needed to post big signs.
Hopefully the crazy-assed kids at Hula don’t burn the place down!
Hula is too damned packed and too much craziness for my taste.

Thanks for the Wanee Nectar, Randy and Patty. Freaking awesome!

Already got tickets and the site for 2020! Maybe I won’t stay up til 6:00 am playing music at the many beautiful sites around the lake and make it to the slide next year.

I wish they would’ve released the Rising presale tickets, butt no matter...
I will see y’all in the spring.

Cheers Suwannee family

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:29 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Jainhandband wrote:
Adding to the burn confusion, when I arrived the Saturday prior, they were splitting firewood and bagging it behind at the store. There were several fires that Saturday and Sunday around the park. With it being so dry I completely understand banning burning because of the hippies in the woods, but I couldn’t even have a stinking tiki torch! Even one immediate next to my hose at the campsite. They definitely needed to post big signs.

Yeah, the ONLY sign I saw was a small sheet of paper taped on the window at the General Store (which I'd visited to buy.... :lol: )

I guess there was a subtle hint, in that there were zero locals out along the highway selling bundles of firewood. But a few big signs & more aggressive promotion of the ban would be a good idea for Hula.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:56 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Jainhandband wrote:
With it being so dry I completely understand banning burning because of the hippies in the woods, but I couldn’t even have a stinking tiki torch!

https://www.amazon.com/OxyLED-Realistic-Waterproof-Landscape-Decorations/dp/B07C7ML4Q4?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Best damn LED fire I have seen. We use several.

Thanks for the Wanee Nectar, Randy and Patty. Freaking awesome!

THANK YOU!!!! You are WELCOME!!!

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:26 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

if there was no burn ban we would all have problems breathing today because there was very little wind this time around.. talked to a bunch of folks what they thought sunday afternoon. most were happy. i think the day of hundreds of fires are over . maybe they can have a few communal bonfires if it gets cold

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:00 pm Profile
 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next