Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2019 9:41 pm It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 9:41 pm

[ 10 posts ] 
 Woodstock 50 cancelled 
Wanee Wizard

Post Woodstock 50 cancelled
And now you know.

Billboard has an article about it. What? You expected a link? Is your finger broken? Go look it up yourself. Do I have to do EVERYTHING for you guys? Sheesh.

Seems it was just two days ago I was making a snarky remark on Facebook about $450 tickets for it. All just to see if Miley Cyrus would wear any undies or not. I got the 411 on that: the answer is no. See? I just saved you $450. Well, except now it's not happening. So you'll just have to figure out how to attend some *other* event that has Miley and John Fogerty and The Killers.

[BTW, all the above spit and venom presented for entertainment purposes only... there was zero chance I was going to that mess, and I don't really care whether it happened or not :mrgreen: ]

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:44 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Woodstock 50 cancelled
even though large amounts of folks continue to show up the market is tapped out. they wanted $450 for the weekend. bet it would of been fun though. 8-)

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:29 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

There were some good names on the bill, in addition to some acts I would definitely avoid. I don't think I would go for the $450 ticket though. Think of the fees on that puppy!

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:44 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... -cancelled

Credit to the organizers -

Quote:
More than $30 million has already been spent on the festival lineup, a source with knowledge of the proposal tells Billboard and most artists have already been paid by Amplify Live, the investment arm of Dentsu Aegis Network, a multinational media and digital marketing firm headquartered in London and a wholly owned by Japanese media firm Dentsu.

But...really?

Quote:
Last week, a representative for the festival reached out to officials with Live Nation and AEG to inquire about a $20 million investment to save the event, but both companies declined the offer.

The solicitation came just days after missing a deadline to begin selling tickets for the Aug. 16-18 festival. Besides issues with financing and permits, organizers were growing increasingly concerned that the Watkins Glen International speedway would not be able accommodate the 100,000-person festival.

A quick google of 'Watkins Glen Capacity' gave me ""Capacity: 38,900"" :roll: Though history might have been on their side..

Quote:
The circuit also has been the site of music concerts: the 1973 Summer Jam, featuring The Allman Brothers Band, the Grateful Dead and The Band and attended by 600,000 fans,
:shock:

Woodstock was 'only' 400,000. :o

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:42 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Joyriding around in a cart this fine morning, watching the birds and seeing the sunrise begin. Dwelling on numbers... always in the numbers.. :lol:

$450 a ticket.

spent $30 MILLION so far.

Looked to borrow another $20 MILLION to complete the show.

$50 million dollars. How many tickets have to be sold to break even?

$50,000,000 / $450 = 111,111 tickets. :shock:
Thats right...Andie already solved that..
* just add a $50 service fee! :twisted: Break even.

They were hoping to sell 100,000. At a venue that holds 40K. :roll:

I would have cancelled also. :mrgreen:

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:04 am Profile
Wanee Lover

I couldnt care less about Woodstock 50 (although no one better be hating on my girl Miley!), but I do find it interesting and perhaps ominous that two MAJOR festivals at Watkins Glenn were cancelled in back to back years. Seemingly for different reasons and you can’t predict the weather as was the ultimate undoing of the Phish festival, BUT when I see issues with permits and then have heard many rumblings about the city/county/state nixing all the back up contingency plans (which were reportedly in place for Curveball but not allowed to be implemented) and it makes me think watkins Glenn may not be a target for future large scale fests in the near future.

But let’s be honest, Woodstock 50 would have been a disaster anyways.

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:17 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
...BUT when I see issues with permits and then have heard many rumblings about the city/county/state nixing all the back up contingency plans (which were reportedly in place for Curveball but not allowed to be implemented) and it makes me think Watkins Glen may not be a target for future large scale fests in the near future.

Truth right here.

Anyone remember the events of the inaugural Bear Creek Fest? That up until a couple of weeks ahead of the event, it was to be held on a chunk of land near Quincy, FL [Quincy being some hunnert miles west of Live Oak]? The event organizers were unable to secure permits... they scrambled, and moved it to SOSMP, where it reigned for several years. Alls well that ends well, right?

But think about Quincy... Bear Creek moved from there... the locals figured out that there was gonna be freaky music and freaky people and OMG possibly someone might smoke some weed out in that field over there and we will have none of that in our quaint little burg so help us Jeebus!! And so Bear Creek went to Far, Far Away. And now nothing happens in Quincy, which is probably exactly how folks there want it.

Uninviting and/or unresponsive local authorities, who don't want to work with event producers, and see the producers as opponents, not partners, seal their own fate. Opportunity missed, vs. working with what they already are used to, in the case of Watkins Glen. I guess they just want to stay with the Formula 1 and Nascar stuff.
:roll:

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:02 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

My guess is that Okeechobee has gone the same route as Quincy did ... with regards to the Okeechobee Music Festival. Not my thing, but I believe it died (or is at least postponed) despite having strong fan support.

Long-running festivals are so difficult I guess. Gotta have a great venue and promoters that are in tune with the fans ... and maintain an intelligent status quo to gather the die-hard, repeat offenders. Wander too far from the norm in format or genre or location (Langerado!), and folks are gonna spend their money elsewhere.

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:46 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

And... Now it's back on. :lol:

I, for one, that weekend, will be in the Keys elbow deep in a lobster hole, and shooting groupers in the face.

I would go for woodstock name alone. It can't be as bad of conditions as the first one. :?

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:43 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Okeechobee came in, seemingly intentionally on the same scheduled weekend as Aura, and wiped out Aura with one swoop, so f!*k them. Good riddance to Okeechobee.

That being said, a lot of what I would consider great festivals have come and gone. Not only the SoSMP fests we knew and loved (BC, Aura, Wanee, etc) but many others including some of the OG’s (Waka, 10k Lakes, All Good, Gathering of the Vibes). It seems a relatively short shelf life is the rule for music festivals, not the exception.

It’s the way of the world I guess, the old goes out and makes way for the new. Evolution, I suppose. I’d be lying if I said that I won’t miss many of those events, but I’m always up for new adventures as well.

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:56 pm Profile
 [ 10 posts ]