Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 pm It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 pm

[ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Suwannee- April 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Suwannee- April
If this is true about LN then you don’t want to look at their upcoming shows, or go anyway (such as TTB at Boca Raton in June) Sometimes you got to grin and bear it.Which brings me to the subject of a Bear Creek kind of lineup for this new Fest, sounds great to me! April vs Autumn any day for this one living in South Florida.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:43 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Volkemon wrote:
Yep! The tempo change thing is very obvious...NOW... but something I had never considered. My Co-worker is a music lover, but asked me nicely to play something else as he was sick of WSP on day 2. Said just about every song sounded similar. Might be that tempo...

On FB it was said that WSP is *exclusive* to LN only. (Enough acronyms? :lol: ) Anyone know if thats true? and if so, any other LN 'exclusive' acts we can (probably) never see at the park again? Or consider for this April...

Whoa! Artist exclusive for a jam band-type act is somewhat of a bombshell IMO. And I don’t like it. I’m also surprised by it, if true. Panic seems to play a ton of festi aka, or at least historically has. Including many which i don’t think have any affiliation with LN.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:57 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Whoops! Looks like i wasnt too fast... maybe half fast.... :oops:

prolly facebook bullsh't. I got a little too trusting.

NO proof of 'control' of any band with LN. I am in time out. :(

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:21 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

Volkemon wrote:
Whoops! Looks like i wasnt too fast... maybe half fast.... :oops:

prolly facebook bullsh't. I got a little too trusting.

NO proof of 'control' of any band with LN. I am in time out. :(

That's right, you just sit in the corner with your Wanee Nectar.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:46 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Volkemon wrote:

On FB it was said that WSP is *exclusive* to LN only. (Enough acronyms? :lol: ) Anyone know if thats true? and if so, any other LN 'exclusive' acts we can (probably) never see at the park again? Or consider for this April...

420 Fest isn’t Live Nation and Cloud 9 production does the Panic In La Playa. They have a few upcoming shows that aren’t LN events, so I don’t think they are fistcuffed overall by LN, however LN is getting more and more aggressive with festivals and the contracts they make the bands sign to be part of it.

It’s getting easier and easier for LN to control all aspects of How, when, where and who when live music is played.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

beach bob wrote:
ArmeDane wrote:
It's hard to believe any ABB fan would disapprove. 8-)

I count at least a few here, that disapprove. Well, not disapprove exactly. Panic just ain't my thing. I have tried, and I have tried. I've given them at least a half dozen full shows at Wanee, and partial sets as well... I'll find 30-40min. segments I dig... but I gave up waiting through three hours of din for the 30min. I enjoy. I find the musical dots that connect between The Allman Brothers, and Widespread Panic, to be few and tenuous. I don't really see it at all.

As ever, if they trip your trigger, enjoy. What I don't understand, is those who cannot understand that they are not universally liked, at least not by us fans of old school hippie southern rock. Different strokes. I enjoyed my Panic chillout time back at camp in 2018 with Volke and Patty and the rest of the gulch camper crew. 8-)

~~~~~~~

I appreciate what NC/Wanee posted. Seems like good, solid insider info. There is simply no replacing the Allmans, in terms of Wanee admits... no single band can make that up. Can we agree that there were several factors that led to cancelling Wanee this year? Pointing to this or that single thing, or band included / excluded, doesn't get at the truth. A number of factors led to the precipitous loss of admits in 2018, which then resulted in LN taking a pass for this year. As the Grand Moff Tarkin said on the Death Star: This bickering is pointless!
:mrgreen:

And onward into the fog we go...

I’ve always drawn the comparison between ABB and Panic. Although i agree that their music doesn’t sound similar, there are parallels. In a way I’ve always viewed Panic as the modern sounding version of ABB. Similar to Phish being the modern sounding version of the Grateful Dead. Phish as the new GD is said all the time, almost as gospel, and I agree with this, but Phish doesn’t sound anything like GD. Their band structures arent the same (2 guitarist for GD vs 1 for Phish; 2 percussionist for GD vs 1 for Phish); GD more bluesy, Phish more jazzy. GD with greater emphasis on lyrics and generally songs are sung better. Phil much more impactful on directing improvisational jams and much more (IMO) interesting bass playing, whereas Mike primarily acts as the stabilizing force that allows Trey to take. Both have amazing lead guitarist, both have significant contributions from great keyboardist (depending on GD-era that may be debatable), both play long songs and probably of most importance both rely significantly on improvisation. BUT, Phish and GD sound nothing alike. However, I have no issues with calling Phish the next generations Grateful Dead.

Similar dissimilarities exists between ABB and Panic (2 “lead” guitarists vs 1, more emphasis on keys in ABB, a different sound in general), but just like for GD/Phish I have no issues with calling WSP the next generations ABB. I also think it’s fair to say that ABB were to GD what Panic is to Phish. Less full band improv jamming, more of a southern rock sound, less musical diversity (don’t kill me ABB lovers but it’s true), etc. The following/fan base/scene also follows this parallel (at least in my mind, i was never following original GD or Duane/Dicky ABB), by that i mean the scene/fanbase for Phish is more similar to GD’s and the scene/fanbase of WSP more similar to ABB’s.

For what it’s worth, I am big fans of them all, but obviously lean the Phish and GD side, so take my opinions with a grain of salt (preferably with a lime and shot of tequila).

Anyways, just some random Thursday ramblings of a pseudo-crazy person.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Great analysis Hands&Feet

You really are a genius anyway....

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:16 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

as for productivity abb was hands and feet above most. wsp is grate live but abb ruled the scene back in the 70s abb songs were played on everyones including me new FM car radios. Fm really started in earnest about that time and abb music was the #1. so its hard for me to compare

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:06 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Productivity? All the bands discussed here do improvisational rock and roll, and fit under today's classification of "Jamband". Some keep their improvisations close to the root of their songs , others take their jams in different directions. Some have even been commercially successful ;) , but each of them have a distinct style. The Grateful Dead started as folk-rock/R&B. Phish is funk & Jazz. Umphrey's McGee features 80s rock and metal... and String Cheese does everything from Bluegrass to EDM! The Allman Brothers were the original southern rock jamband... and WP is today's predominant one. These are all hippie bands. Some may play more to your tastes than others, but they are all hippie bands... and any bands like them should be welcome at any sosmp/"Wanee" music festival... just sayin'. 8-)

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

NC/Wanee wrote:
Great analysis Hands&Feet

You really are a genius anyway....

I see what you did there!

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:00 am Profile
 [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next