Last visit was: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:18 pm It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:18 pm

[ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Suwannee- April 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Suwannee- April
Just another opinion on Panic from an older ABB fan.... My issue with Panic is lack of dynamics in the concerts. Let me explain.

At an ABB or Dead show you get a wide variety of tempos and intensities. For every Whipping post there was a Midnight Rider or Desdemona. For every Bertha, there was a China Doll or Wharf Rat.

The Panic shows I have seen (all the Wanee shows and one at the Orlando House of Blues), it seems every song evolves to the same level of tempo / intensity when they jam. I am sure if you are chemically enhanced, that probably is a good thing. If you are not, it gets monotonous. I prefer their studio stuff because there is more variety. Maybe just the shows I have seen.

This is not a knock on their talents as musicians. I even like John Bell's voice (them again I like Tom Waits and Ray Wylie Hubbard's voices as well).

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:49 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

I just use tents but I’ve paid the $400 the past two Wanee festivals just for the power factor alone. I love having the coffee maker,fans and anything else I can fit in the car. I can primitive camp with the best of them but enjoy having the power for four days plus. We brought a college sized fridge we plugged and used the hell out of it. Now if it’s $400 again I might rough it.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:45 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

PGator wrote:

This is not a knock on their talents as musicians. I even like John Bell's voice (them again I like Tom Waits and Ray Wylie Hubbard's voices as well).

I Saw Mr. Hubbard twice last week.

Just Sounds Nasty
Pretty Much Is.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:18 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

whole lot of love wrote:
hope for brr creek type of lineup dumpster lettuce ext. ready for some funk

Please. Been too long.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:02 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

NC/Wanee wrote:
Volkemon, check out the St Augustine Panic shows from Sept 2018, the Friday and Sunday shows are the best Panic shows I’ve seen since Mikey Houser (orig guitarist)
Died.

Thanks! 9/14/2018 starting now! WSP on the OTHER 4:20 :lol:

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:06 am Profile
Wanee Lover

PGator wrote:
Just another opinion on Panic from an older ABB fan.... My issue with Panic is lack of dynamics in the concerts. Let me explain.

At an ABB or Dead show you get a wide variety of tempos and intensities. For every Whipping post there was a Midnight Rider or Desdemona. For every Bertha, there was a China Doll or Wharf Rat.

The Panic shows I have seen (all the Wanee shows and one at the Orlando House of Blues), it seems every song evolves to the same level of tempo / intensity when they jam. I am sure if you are chemically enhanced, that probably is a good thing. If you are not, it gets monotonous. I prefer their studio stuff because there is more variety. Maybe just the shows I have seen.

I whole heartedly agree with the lack of tempo changes . Most of my favorite bands are great with tempo changes, not so much with Panic. GD were the kings of tempo changes, not just from one song to the next but intersong as well (mid 70’s Playing in the Band being prime example). I also think Phish is great with intersong temp shanges, Cheese very good too. Lack of tempo changes is also why Dead and Co does nothing for me, and why I love JRAD whom i would say may be the current king of this type of playing.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:01 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Tempo changes used to be Panic’s dealeo with Houser (guitar)and Nance (drums). I’m not really sure why that went out the window with Herring and is practically non existent with Trucks on drums, but Panic 2.0 and 3.0 has been more about straight forward rock and roll.

Their more recent shows have had more of the old style elements, so maybe the next step in their recent evolution is more tempo shifts.

Thanks for pointing out Dead & co, while I don’t dislike the sound, that is the missing element that must be keeping me from paying more attention to them, I would still rather see DSO or JRAD as well. I had not listened enough to figure it out, but nail meets head.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:07 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
PGator wrote:

I whole heartedly agree with the lack of tempo changes . Most of my favorite bands are great with tempo changes, not so much with Panic. GD were the kings of tempo changes, not just from one song to the next but intersong as well (mid 70’s Playing in the Band being prime example). I also think Phish is great with intersong temp shanges, Cheese very good too. Lack of tempo changes is also why Dead and Co does nothing for me, and why I love JRAD whom i would say may be the current king of this type of playing.

WOW! Good insight. This is one thread derailment that produced some good stuff.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:07 am Profile
Wanee Fan

I have tried and tried to get into Panic but just haven't been able to either. Now that it has been mentioned, the non-existent tempo change could be why. JB's voice has grown on me. I think i have seen Panic probably 6-8 times now. I think night one at Wanee this past year was my favorite of the shows i have seen.

Would JRAD be able to play this new fest even though they are at 420 fest only a couple weeks later? I doubt it. I would love to see them on the lineup though!

I could dig a Bear Creek type lineup as someone else has mention.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:11 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Yep! The tempo change thing is very obvious...NOW... but something I had never considered. My Co-worker is a music lover, but asked me nicely to play something else as he was sick of WSP on day 2. Said just about every song sounded similar. Might be that tempo...

On FB it was said that WSP is *exclusive* to LN only. (Enough acronyms? :lol: ) Anyone know if thats true? and if so, any other LN 'exclusive' acts we can (probably) never see at the park again? Or consider for this April...

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:59 pm Profile
 [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next