Last visit was: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 FESTIVAL 2019 
Wanee Fan

Post Re: FESTIVAL 2019
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Bob Weir any post GD50 really not for me.

Phil on the other hand still throwing it down . Loved the Phil and Fam sets last year at Wanee.

Same here. Would love to see some version of Phil, et al again.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:37 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

id pass on both the friends and or weir. :shock: id try to get jim james and a complimentary up and coming female artist to headline. even though its not going to be a wanne no more i'd hope the abb connection would fill out the docket.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:07 am Profile
Wanee Fan

That sounds a lot like what's become the standard Wanee format to me... minus any headliners! I'm not sure Jim James, or an anonymous woman, would result in anything different. ABB, Panic, or a Dead family band, all have large followings. Sustaining "Wanee" would require a core, base like that. I'm not sure My Morning Jacket could provide that... and am certain JJ couldn't. 8-)

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:36 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Sorta fit this thread... some interesting stuff on FB.
Copy-and-pasting this, sorry if the format gets screwed up. Will try to fix as I go.

Brian Sapp Ok so while I don't know for a fact what happened I will give my opinion based on knowledge most people on this page doesn't know. So let's start with what I know that most dont. When most promoters book the SOSMP they only lease the concert areas. Take for instance Purple Batters Ball well the only thing they lease is the Amphitheatre area. Bigger fests lease Amphitheatre and Meadow. Hulaween leases Amphitheatre, Meadow, The Patch and Spirit Lake. (They all only lease concert areas) Well Wanee leased the entire park. ALL OF IT. The campground, the parking lot, the restaurant, and bar (everything) Now with that knowledge and the great expense that must be. Factor this when they made that deal they would have about 14,000 people there for 3 days spending money. Biggest year was 2014 when ABB played the last show there was about 24,000 for those 3 days. Well 2015 the number dropped to about 12,000, 2016 about 10,000, 2017 about 8,000, then 2018 or was only about 6,000. So with the knowledge of the added costs of Wanee and the very low turnout after ABB retired. You can probably figure it out like I did.

Brian Sapp yep 2014 was the biggest crowd at SOSMP until 2015 Hulaween with 36,000 now that was insane and why the park now has a 20,000 cap on weekend sales.

Seneca Anderson Brian Sapp are you sure about those numbers for 16’ and 18’? Seemed like there was a lot more people than only 10k and 6k!

Brian Sapp Seneca AndersonSeneca yeah I'm sure. Where i worked we know the count. Because that's how we base how.many people come in. Or in the last 2 years were told not to come in. Gonna drop some festival knowledge on ya for any festival. When they release the total attendance you have to divide that by number of days the festival runs to get an actual head count. Because every day you attend you are counted again if it's a 4 day festival your are counted 4 times (which is also based on sales not if you skip a day)

Brian Sapp I will tell you the smartest Festival owner (that isn't the park itself) In my opinion. just from what I've seen Tipper. He only leases the Amiptheatre and sets a cap at 7,500 tix with no single day tickets. It always sells out months in advance. And he already knows his approx costs. Because he set the cap and he knows it will sell out and it has every time. We have fans that say well if he knows he will sell out 7500 and your park holds 20,000 Why doesn't he raise it to 10,000 So I can come in. (Because they are only thinking about themselves) They don't understand to raise the cap to 10k he then has to guarantee the coverage of all the extra staff and security. And then what's happens if only 7700 show up. Well then he goes from making a 100k profit to a 200k loss.

Nick Lauricella The promoters behind hula came up over budget and short. It happens. The reality is they are producing a very high level experience and a sold out festival which is rare. They will make adjustments and move ahead. There will be some skepticism but at the end of day the festival will move ahead just as well.

I am also willing to bet most of the artists that came up short would do it again in a heartbeat. Most of them don't get many opportunities like that to produce their art. They understand the risk.

I know one in particular that said he would do it again just for the exposure.

Brian Sapp Silver Wrapper had always been smart with there festivals until this year. They screwed up. By hiring extra stuff based on projections that were wrong.

Nick Lauricella Livenation wanted a bigger piece of SOSMP. They wanted to have exclusive rights to the venue and ticketing.

If the park had allowed that to occur it would have pretty much eliminated independent promoters from using the venue.

LN has exclusive rights to the Montage Mountain venue. Every event there has to go through them first. Case in point as to how the Peach is where it is at today and Wanee is no longer.

LN was not happy with SOSMP having competing festivals. They did not like the fact that many of the events there use independent ticketing services vs Ticketmaster.

Nick Lauricella Festivals come and go. The venue just keeps getting better. Unfortunately the real money and viable business longevity is in attracting a younger crowd. There are a lot of new festivals springing up which appeal to a younger demographic. Brainquility, tipper, hula...thats where the moneys at

Nick Lauricella I have heard from a couple independent sources that LN was making a push to make SOSMP a LN venue.

It absolutely makes sense LN doesn't play very nice or take kindly to competition. The would make millions in service fees off the park.

Well now... if you made it through that book, I hope things are clearer.
Best thread I have ever read on facebook. Remarkably civil and informative. :mrgreen:

Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:04 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Agree. I was following that. A lot of info there that we've kinda deduced from the trend and eventual outcome of Wanee '19. I can believe most of it.

Just hoping something happens in April to serve as a bridge to a brighter future for some Wanee reboot. Clearly, a LOT of passionate fans want it to continue.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Interesting. Question is who are those two people? Are they actually in the know or just speculating like we have. The first guy says he had a position with access to numbers and the numbers seem fairly accurate. Not sure if the second guy is in some position of enhanced access to info or just speculating like we have been (and essentially surmised the same thoughts-LN wanted sole rights to SoSMP).

Regardless, very interesting and thanks for sharing.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:54 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Hey Volkemon, what FB page was this discussion? A good read for sure!

We have discussed here before how attendance is calculated... for a three day fest, your stinky butt gets counted three times... four days, it's four times they count ya. Which is totally different than *number of tickets sold*... even in the above discussion, festival admits is conflated with tickets sold. Anyways, less is less, and the numbers for the last 2-3 Wanee fests have been down, no matter what the actual numbers were.

Just reinforcing that tidbit. Clear as mud, and will remain so for the average festy patron.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Tangential to that discussion, is the whole Hulaween going over budget issue that Paul has been wrestling. I still do not understand how it is that things spiraled sideways, six years in. Year one or year two, I can understand fixes and fine tuning... after that the financial side should be pretty well nailed down. Particularly with a cap set on tickets to be sold ... perhaps they were thousands of admits short?? I've yet to hear that, but it would explain the situation.

But there really is no point to my confusion... I wasn't there, no skin off my nose, and I sure hope everyone eventually gets paid.

I also have zero tolerance for the idea that ANY artist would or should work Hulaween 'for the exposure'. It's blood sweat and tears... it's peoples' livelihoods, and that sort of thinking should not creep into that festival, or any other. :shrug:

Carry on. 8-)

Last edited by beach bob on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:54 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Here ya go Bob,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1541444 ... 240406544/

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:04 pm Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

Well, nice discussion but still no Festie...

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:09 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Volkemon wrote:
Here ya go Bob,

And I'm not even a member of that one. Dang, there's a lot of FB Wanee groups!
:lol:

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:20 pm Profile
 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next