Last visit was: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:50 pm It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:50 pm

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Couch Lockn 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Couch Lockn
beach bob wrote:
Ghost Light > Chris Harford Band of Changes > Turkuaz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUzTrUXcNWM

Chris Harford didn't do much for me (the bit I saw anyways), but those other two? Uh HUH! :mrgreen:

My man.

Definitely wanted to check out Ghost List, so thank you sir! Watching this tonight.

Tom Hamilton is a beast on guitar, even if he does remind me of Tobias Funke. Only Ghost Light I have heard so far was an in-studio mini set on SiriusXM and I was DIGGIN it.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:26 am Profile
Wanee Fan

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I gave it a shot but turned it off after they went into Uncle John's Band.
I'm not sure that counts as "giving it a shot". That was just the first of 15 transitions... and Bobby has been butchering lyrics for ages. Giving up for that reason is like someone "giving Phish a shot", but changing their mind because Contact or Scent of a Mule was played. It's just a quirky thing with the band, and it can become endearing with time: I don't get angry at Bobby for flubbing the lyrics. I laugh, and imagine how many times he was unknowingly dosed with Owsley's finest.

I do agree that D&C's slow tempo can be a legitimate concern though. While I didn't think they dragged the first night, I thought they were a little slow with Branford... but I thought it fit well with the sax. Instead of feeling held back, it was as if sticky, psychedelic sauce was poured all over the tunes. I thought it was good stuff.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

ArmeDane wrote:
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I'm not sure that counts as "giving it a shot". That was just the first of 15 transitions... and Bobby has been butchering lyrics for ages. Giving up for that reason is like someone "giving Phish a shot", but changing their mind because Contact or Scent of a Mule was played. It's just a quirky thing with the band, and it can become endearing with time: I don't get angry at Bobby for flubbing the lyrics. I laugh, and imagine how many times he was unknowingly dosed with Owsley's finest.

I do agree that D&C's slow tempo can be a legitimate concern though. While I didn't think they dragged the first night, I thought they were a little slow with Branford... but I thought it fit well with the sax. Instead of feeling held back, it was as if sticky, psychedelic sauce was poured all over the tunes. I thought it was good stuff.

I was pleasantly surprised with the (opening) Saturday night set. Pace was tolerable & the set choices were good. Far better than when I saw them in February.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:50 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Tom Hamilton is a beast on guitar, even if he does remind me of Tobias Funke.

At least he doesn't drool as much as Scott Metzger. :twisted:

Any outfit that has both Tom and Holly Bowling, is worth a look.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:55 am Profile
Wanee Lover

ArmeDane wrote:
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:

Although it is of course not my favorite song, I have nothing against UJB, and the transition was actually pretty smooth. But Playing in the Band is my favorite Dead song, and after what I would consider to be a fairly uninteresting rendition, and in the context of listening to Dead and Co before, I had heard enough to feel that the show wouldn't do much for me.

GD is the band that I unquestionably still listen to second most (behind, yes, Phish) , and there's been times even within the last few years where I've gone periods of several months at a time listening exclusively GD. I feel like I know GD music quite well, including different era's/different side projects/different "cover" bands. I was excited to tune into the Sunday show and give it a listen, but it didn't take long for me to realize that its still not my cup of Dead tea, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I do think thats quite different than a new to Phish person hearing Contact and being disinterested (who doesn't like Scent of a Mule though?!?!). But I think thats one of the amazingly awesome things about GD and their music, is that it lives on in so many varying ways. I'd just rather spend my time listening to other Dead and Dead-inspired outfits. But those who love Dead and Co I think thats great, I am glad they give so many people so much joy, and I do think its amazing that its possible to see 3 original GD members all playing together in 2018.

Perhaps I should have re-tuned in for Branford. I do like the sound of sticky psychedelic sauce. (band name, called it!)

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
in the context of listening to Dead and Co before, I had heard enough to feel that the show wouldn't do much for me.
This was my point: One and a half songs + one preconceived notion = not really giving the show a chance. It's okay though, some of my best friends refuse to watch.

F.Y.I. Scent of a Mule: Punk Rockers are often turned off by the Bluegrassyness.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:36 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

beach bob wrote:
Ghost Light > Chris Harford Band of Changes > Turkuaz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUzTrUXcNWM

Chris Harford didn't do much for me (the bit I saw anyways), but those other two? Uh HUH! :mrgreen:

Just watched the first two. Man Ghost Light is f!*king good. Can't believe they have only been playing together as a band for what, less than a year? So good.

In terms of this Chris Harford Band of Changes. I like the concept (after having read about it), but feel like it would be so much better if they added a keyboard played, added Tom Hamilton on guitar, dropped Chris Harford, and played mostly Grateful Dead music. ;)

I kid. No I don't.

I have never heard of Chris Harford, but I am not a fan.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:35 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I have never heard of Chris Harford, but I am not a fan.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Same here. Never heard of him, and not quite exactly bowled over. :P

If you want a guy that plays with an ever-rotating parade of A-list musicians, Joe Marcinek is your guy.

Here's Joe with Bernie Worrell and Soap, performing a Talking Heads Medley~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx792bnIybE

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:52 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Looks like a free stream rebroadcast this weekend if anyone wants to give it another whirl.

On “The Relix Channel” per the email which I assume is their YouTube channel.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:39 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

LINK PLEASE

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:41 pm Profile
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next