Last visit was: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:25 am It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:25 am




 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Wanee 2019 
Author Message
Wanee Wizard

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 am
Posts: 3103
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Ramble on, brother... all we got is time to kill, until the weather breaks and we can hoist a few tents (and other things) and festivate again.

I too think a Dead&Co weekend could be done at SOSMP. Just take the same precautions that are done for Hulaween: cap the tix sales, and do the car passes (a necessary evil when 20,000+ people are gathered there). But I'm not sure the band would go for it. AFAIK, Lock'n is the only festival they do, and that's because Shapiro is a producer. I'd think he'd have to be a key partner for a Suwanee Dead&Co thing.

And yeah, it's been a fun three years with Dead&Co, but somehow I think that band is gonna have only another year or two. Heresy to say it... but the struggle to get Bobby to play stuff near a reasonable tempo is going to come to a head, someday. Go ahead, sharpen your daggers, I'm wearing my Kevlar undies.
:lol:

A Meeting of the Minds sort of thing with both JRAD and DSO, would be ideal, as far as something with potential longevity goes. A very diverse support lineup for that would bring a nice cross section of old and new fans.

~~~~~~~~~

Side note - For the umpteenth time: TTB already headlines a festival, Sunshine Fest, in January at two locations in FL. The idea that 'they arent big enough to headline' is BS. There's at least 10k admits for the StPete fest, and probably 6K for Boca, but that's because the Boca space is small. It's jammed with people, all that it can handle. No, they can't headline Lock'n, but they can be the top of the bill draw for any fest smaller than that. I have no idea if they have a 'no thanks' standing rule for Wanee... I do know they played one of the last MagFests (had a headliner time slot, btw). Maybe now that its been five years since Derek's played Wanee, he'd like to come back? If they do a Wanee 2019, TTB would be great to have back, and their popularity would help with the admits.


Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:26 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 1342
Post Re: Wanee 2019
beach bob wrote:
Ramble on, brother... all we got is time to kill, until the weather breaks and we can hoist a few tents (and other things) and festivate again.

I too think a Dead&Co weekend could be done at SOSMP. Just take the same precautions that are done for Hulaween: cap the tix sales, and do the car passes (a necessary evil when 20,000+ people are gathered there). But I'm not sure the band would go for it. AFAIK, Lock'n is the only festival they do, and that's because Shapiro is a producer. I'd think he'd have to be a key partner for a Suwanee Dead&Co thing.

And yeah, it's been a fun three years with Dead&Co, but somehow I think that band is gonna have only another year or two. Heresy to say it... but the struggle to get Bobby to play stuff near a reasonable tempo is going to come to a head, someday. Go ahead, sharpen your daggers, I'm wearing my Kevlar undies.
:lol:

A Meeting of the Minds sort of thing with both JRAD and DSO, would be ideal, as far as something with potential longevity goes. A very diverse support lineup for that would bring a nice cross section of old and new fans.

~~~~~~~~~

Side note - For the umpteenth time: TTB already headlines a festival, Sunshine Fest, in January at two locations in FL. The idea that 'they arent big enough to headline' is BS. There's at least 10k admits for the StPete fest, and probably 6K for Boca, but that's because the Boca space is small. It's jammed with people, all that it can handle. No, they can't headline Lock'n, but they can be the top of the bill draw for any fest smaller than that. I have no idea if they have a 'no thanks' standing rule for Wanee... I do know they played one of the last MagFests (had a headliner time slot, btw). Maybe now that its been five years since Derek's played Wanee, he'd like to come back? If they do a Wanee 2019, TTB would be great to have back, and their popularity would help with the admits.


The Shapiro thing is interesting and probably accurate. Although it is worth noting that as both Bobby and even Shapiro's bff Phil have both played non-Shapiro festivals within the last 2 years (as we know from Wanee). So I don't think a non-Shapiro festival is completely out of the question for Dead and Co. Along the Shapiro line, people seem to hate that guy, I don't get it. Seems like he puts on great events that open up lots of opportunities for people to have great experiences. I don't hate him for making money in the process. But I guess thats a topic for a different thread.

Definitely agree on Bobby. Truthfully I don't even really care for Dead and Co much, I enjoyed the 2 Phil and Fam shows I saw in April '18 much more than the 2 Dead and Co shows I saw in Feb '18. I know I am in the minority when it comes to Dead and Co though. You hit the nail on the head with Bobby though, so no daggers from this end.

Agree to disagree on the TTB headlining Wanee/a Wanee-esque festival. I am not for a second buying that headlining an all day concert (which Sunshine fest is) in a city is in anyway equivalent to a multi-day camping festival in which all attendants have to travel significant distances to attend. The difference between "all day concert" and "music festival" are significant IMO, but perhaps that difference, too, is a conversation for another thread. I completely agree that TTB would be a nice add for Wanee/New Fake Wanee (theoretical) but they can't be the main draw if you expect Wanee numbers.


Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:12 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 am
Posts: 3103
Post Re: Wanee 2019
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
...So I don't think a non-Shapiro festival is completely out of the question for Dead and Co.

Really, I don't think it's completely out of the question either. We just haven't seen it yet.

Here's a story! An Facebook friend of mine put out a CD a couple years ago. He's nobody of note, just another of hundreds of struggling songwriters, slugging it out crafting tunes and playing gigs in lousy venues to bored patrons. He wanted his CD to have some sparkle. And so he got some top level Nashville guns, a couple of them well known, to track their parts. Of course the end product sounded great. Some of my bud's friends were amazed he was able to call in those guys... they figured the ringers were old friends or something. My bud said, "No, I don't know those guys. You want to know how you get name guys like that to play on your CD? You PAY them!"
:D

So yeah. Pay the man. Musicians play music... if you're doing it right, there's always another gig on the horizon. Even at Dead&Co level, it's a question of pony up and they'll play the gig. Who knows what the future might bring... :shock: :)


handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Along the Shapiro line, people seem to hate that guy, I don't get it. Seems like he puts on great events that open up lots of opportunities for people to have great experiences.

Well, that goes back to the 2015 Fare Thee Well gigs in Chicago. Shapiro pulled a bait & switch, really no two ways about it. And there were peeps who went months and months, who had a lotto number, but no tix, and no idea if they were gonna actually get them or not. It was a giant sized clusterflock. But as for me, I paid my $$, I went, I had a blast, and it's in the past. I'm not holding grudges on folks I've never met. Three plus years have passed, folks can either be at peace with it, or let the thing fester in their brain... to no particular good result, far as I can see. Que sera, sera...


Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:27 am Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:08 am
Posts: 12619
Location: Florida
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Is it "Soon" yet?

_________________
~~Can't go back and you can't stand still. If the peaches don't get you, then the mushrooms will.~~


Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:50 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:16 pm
Posts: 3161
Location: Grant FL
Post Re: Wanee 2019
AndieBee wrote:
Is it "Soon" yet?



Safe link. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnpILIIo9ek


(How Soon is Now by The Smiths) :lol:

_________________
'I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.'


Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 74
Location: Douglas, GA
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Just not soon enough!
ribs

_________________
Robb "Ribs-N-Whiskey" Hurst


Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:01 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:16 pm
Posts: 3161
Location: Grant FL
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Rivernole wrote:
Mangoes...
You don't think Buddy Guy can hold his own with anybody?


Buddy is going strong!


Image

_________________
'I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.'


Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 1342
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Whoa Boz Scaggs sighting!

Gonna listen to Lido Shuffle on loop all afternoon now.


Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:42 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:08 am
Posts: 12619
Location: Florida
Post Re: Wanee 2019
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Whoa Boz Scaggs sighting!

Gonna listen to Lido Shuffle on loop all afternoon now.



Whoa- oh- oh- whoa- ohohohoh

_________________
~~Can't go back and you can't stand still. If the peaches don't get you, then the mushrooms will.~~


Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:56 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:16 pm
Posts: 3161
Location: Grant FL
Post Re: Wanee 2019
He'll be makin' like a bee line, headin' for the border line, goin' for broke
Sayin' one more hit ought to do it
This joint ain't nothin' to it
One more for the road to WANEE!!!!!!!!!!!!


:lol:

_________________
'I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.'


Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:39 pm Profile
 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot, Choopa.net/ahrefs.com[Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Intentional bypassing of the word filter will lead to user banning. The forum is used by all ages and walks of life and your respect for that is appreciated.
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.