Last visit was: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:21 am It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:21 am




 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Wanee 2019 
Author Message
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 11242
Location: Marianna, Florida
Post Wanee 2019
Just a selfish realization....
I don't want Ln to have Wanee just to have Wanee...
I want some sort of commitment that they are trying to save the tradition and enhance it. Yepp...I know the loss of the Brothers is catastrophic in the long run....but damn there are those offshoots of the Brothers that can and should resurrect the festival.
I would love for Government Mule to return....
I would love for TTB to return....Could it be that Mule and TTB withdrew because neither were made the headliners? Maybe....
I would love some old standbys to return....
Buddy Guy....
Taj Mo.....Taj Mahal and Keb Mo together and/or separately....
Alabama Shakes
Gary Clark Jr.
Doyle Bramhall III
Neil Young
Plus some of the regulars.....
Samantha Fish
Sister Sparrow
Heather Gillis
Devon
JJ Gray
But I don't want 3 shows of Bobby Lee....(you know what I mean?)

I have started a want list...If you don't like some of my suggestions....please feel free to say so.....I am lenient on my list...just some that are worthy and meaningful...
Who do you want?


Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:55 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:21 pm
Posts: 86
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Multiple Warren sets. Something creative like what the Peach did this year.
TTB. Not sure if they truly have been invited and just won't return.
Devon Allman. Give them a decent slot.
Bring back a reggae act. Not sure it's true reggae, but mix it up as they have in the past with a Ziggy Marley, Michael Franti, Tribal Seeds, Matisyahu.
Have a modern bluegrass act or two. Greensky Bluegrass would be my personal preference. But Yonder, Leftover Salmon, Keller, etc are worthy.
Dirty Guv'nahs would be a nice fit. Same for Blackberry Smoke.
Keep Dark Star Orchestra with their special Thursday set.
Bring Pigeons back for a midnight set.
Would love to see Umphrey's again too.
I also enjoyed Phil Lesh's band last year, and would love to have them back. Please don't bring some incantation of Bob Weir back for a headliner slot.

From what I've heard, Panic is the headliner going forward. They need someone like them to sell tickets year-after-year.


Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:30 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 11242
Location: Marianna, Florida
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Nice list Happy.....

I am up for that....


Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:29 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:27 pm
Posts: 752
Location: orlando florida
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Wouldn't count on mule. Last year when they announced their own mini fest in boca I figured they were out. They are doing it again.


Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:12 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:22 pm
Posts: 2042
Location: South Florida
Post Re: Wanee 2019
funkengroovin wrote:
Wouldn't count on mule. Last year when they announced their own mini fest in boca I figured they were out. They are doing it again.

Govt Mule, were understudies for Dr. John, who was ill..... this year replacing Dickey Betts, who cancelled. Not a “ Mule Fest” at all.... but glad to see them in West Boca!

_________________
ENJOY EVERY SANDWICH


Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:34 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:21 pm
Posts: 86
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Wanee 2019
I like the approach of having ~30 bands with longer sets versus 40+ bands with shorter sets and more overlap.

And fire anyone that books a DJ for a midnight Mushroom set. Just don't see that fit for the Wanee crowd.


Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:06 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 1374
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Rivernole wrote:
Just a selfish realization....
I don't want Ln to have Wanee just to have Wanee...
I want some sort of commitment that they are trying to save the tradition and enhance it. Yepp...I know the loss of the Brothers is catastrophic in the long run....but damn there are those offshoots of the Brothers that can and should resurrect the festival.
I would love for Government Mule to return....
I would love for TTB to return....Could it be that Mule and TTB withdrew because neither were made the headliners? Maybe....
I would love some old standbys to return....
Buddy Guy....
Taj Mo.....Taj Mahal and Keb Mo together and/or separately....
Alabama Shakes
Gary Clark Jr.
Doyle Bramhall III
Neil Young
Plus some of the regulars.....
Samantha Fish
Sister Sparrow
Heather Gillis
Devon
JJ Gray
But I don't want 3 shows of Bobby Lee....(you know what I mean?)

I have started a want list...If you don't like some of my suggestions....please feel free to say so.....I am lenient on my list...just some that are worthy and meaningful...
Who do you want?


No offense but recycling of the ABB offshoots will be the kiss of death for this festival. They can't just do the same thing that they did when ABB was there, except without ABB, and expect it to be successful.

Mule and TTB are not headliners of a major multi-day camping festival. I have nothing against Mule or TTB, they are very solid undercard acts, but they don't have the pull to be headliners. Also, outside of Neil Young (who scores major nostalgia points), literally every other act on your list could be on the bill and 99% of potential festival goers would not even consider that a pseudo-interesting lineup. Wanee needs something fresh and exciting. Something to draw in NEW fans.

The best thing for Wanee would probably be LN selling the rights and having it taken over by a new promoter. I truthfully don't see that happening. But, IMO, they can pretty easily turn things around as they have the dedicated core fanbase and the location/venue that will always draw people in. But they can't keep putting out a stale, 25 artist over 3 days on 2 stages, uninspired lineup and expect it to do well.

For what its worth (which probably isn't much), I don't think WSP is the problem. They are a fine, albeit not horribly exciting, headliner. And even the recent years secondary headliners haven't been the problem (Bobby is boring but a reasonable draw; Phil still lays it down and is a reasonable draw.) The problem is the super weak undercard.

Bringing back TTB and Mule is fine as it appeals to the core fanbase, but have them play Main Stage day sets. And then bring the fire with other jam band staples (this festival needs moe.; and can we get a JRAD late night for the love of sweet baby Jesus), bigger name jamgrass acts (Stringdusters, Salmon, Greensky, hell even Fake Yonder would be an upgrade), then round it out with up and comers (Pigeons again, Stafford, Twiddle, Aqueous, Dopapod, etc.) A sprinkling of electronic isn't the worst thing either, I mean I agree this festival doesn't need DJs but a Lotus or Disco Biscuits set would at least show that LN is trying and does appeal to many (and lets be honest is infinitely more entertaining than another Luther/Cody late night set, or a pieced together ABB tribute band.)

I mean, come on Live Nation, this isn't rocket surgery, just try a little. Don't burn this thing to the ground.


Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:11 am Profile
Wanee Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:16 pm
Posts: 3221
Location: Grant FL
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Quote:
A sprinkling of electronic isn't the worst thing either, I mean I agree this festival doesn't need DJs but a Lotus or Disco Biscuits set would at least show that LN is trying and does appeal to many (and lets be honest is infinitely more entertaining than another Luther/Cody late night set, or a pieced together ABB tribute band.)



Yeah, that late night set by the pieced together ABB tribute group was booooooooring. Did you even see KDTU's set?!? :lol:

Quote:
Bringing back TTB and Mule is fine as it appeals to the core fanbase, but have them play Main Stage day sets. And then bring the fire with other jam band staples (this festival needs moe.; and can we get a JRAD late night for the love of sweet baby Jesus), bigger name jamgrass acts (Stringdusters, Salmon, Greensky, hell even Fake Yonder would be an upgrade), then round it out with up and comers (Pigeons again, Stafford, Twiddle, Aqueous, Dopapod, etc.)


Bunch of great suggestions!!

I think a late night mushroom set of TTB might change your opinion of them as an 'undercard' act. Thats where WSP is so good for us old folks... lets us get a nap before closing out the mushroom. :lol:

Quote:
I mean, come on Live Nation, this isn't rocket surgery, just try a little. Don't burn this thing to the ground


In all seriousness, I think there might be a little 'rocket science/brain surgery' (mixing your metaphors there... ;) ) in pulling off a festival like WANEE. Maybe a LOT. Got a crowd of 'traditional' hippies that are cheap as f*ck but love their music. Gotta somehow rope in new blood that spends money a little faster, but not alienate the existing crowd. Oh... and get them all to peacefully coexist on 800 acres for 4-5 days. Easy Peasy. :roll: I have no real $$ figure, but the costs to rent the park for the festival, get LEO and EMT staffing... I bet you would be shocked at how little is left to recruit artists. They (LN) may not 'burn it to the ground' , but as it was said earlier (by BeachBob I think...) they may let it wither on the vine, if the fruit of that vine isnt producing revenue. When in doubt... FOLLOW THE MONEY. Right?

_________________
'I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.'


Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:29 am Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 11242
Location: Marianna, Florida
Post Re: Wanee 2019
Mangoes...
You don't think Buddy Guy can hold his own with anybody?
TajMo.....are terrific
Alabama Shakes should have been here several years back....
and I didn't say Mule or TTB should be the headliners...I said they need to return. And truthfully...neither of these bands play only ABB songs...they have their own style and songs.
Yes....we need a mix of music styles.
A lot of rock?
A little electronica?
A little reggae?
A little Bluegrass?
Nothing there that hurts.
And I agree with Volke.....WSP is good for a nap before the midnight show.

I do love some Luther/Cody....but in the 5-7 slot. Their midnight set from several years ago was terrific......but yeah...we have heard most of their stuff so many times.
And I can listen to Taj/solo from Lock'n several years back most anytime. And heck...I don't think he came on stage until about 2-3 am......but it was entertaining. Not everything has to be so that you can dance to it.
Listen to the guitar work on Buddy Guy's new release....The Blues is Alive and Well.....whew.....yepp...he is keeping the Blues Alive.

Not trying to be argumentative.....only listing what I like. And yepp....you are free to disagree.....as is everyone else on here.


Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:06 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 1374
Post Re: Wanee 2019
KTDU was solid, but better served in the 7-9 slot, IMO.

TTB as a late night set, I'm on board with that!

Rocket surgery was intentional, a saying I like quite a bit.

I think theres often a difference between talented musicians and acts that will draw people into a festival. Buddy Guy is a legend, but people aren't going to be like, "oh man, look at that lineup, Buddy Guy is there, can't miss this fest!". I guess my issue with your list was not the talent of the musicians but the fact that if thats the path LN choose to follow the festival will be dried up soon. Its a conglomeration of acts that doesn't really appeal to any group of fans in the way thats needed to sustain a fest, IMO. We all like musical diversity, but I think there has to be a core fanbase that the lineup appeals to. IMO, and perhaps this is based on merely personal preference, but the jam band angle is the way to go for Wanee and encompasses a fairly diverse style range including some of those Wanee staples that the veteran Wanee crowd desires (like Mule/Panic/TTB, even if they aren't true "jam bands" per se).


Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:57 pm Profile
 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot, Choopa.net/ahrefs.com[Bot], Google [Bot], SemrushBot and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Intentional bypassing of the word filter will lead to user banning. The forum is used by all ages and walks of life and your respect for that is appreciated.
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.