Last visit was: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:42 am It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:42 am

[ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 non-primitive camping options 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: non-primitive camping options
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Hmmm, noticed you said you upgraded. What are the chances that bad ass VE bus is for sale?!?! This is a serious inquiry.

I believe VE stands for Very Expensive!

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:29 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Hmmm, noticed you said you upgraded. What are the chances that bad ass VE bus is for sale?!?! This is a serious inquiry.

Sorry, we stay together until one of us cant be fixed. :lol: Thanks for the interest though! I am all through selling off VW's.

I am 'down' to a dune buggy, 78 T1 'vert with 22K, the 71 bus, and Patties 82 V'gon westy. And prolly 10 of the gas carts. :? Still working on them. ;)

I *LOVED* my time camping in the bus. I am looking forward to making it a 'sunny saturday' cruiser. We may do some weekending in the westy, but for 4-12 day trips to festys, friends etc the camper rocks. Its small enough that it fits in most any spot.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:02 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

I wanna see what Warren does with HIS new camper. Cool little rig.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:03 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

warren0728 wrote:
well ... we found a camper ... 6 1/2 x 8 feet ... blank canvas inside and we are definitely gonna come up with a different color scheme! We should have it at Roots Revival ... now just have to figure out where i want to camp ... gonna get a W/E site.

Don't be offended... Your camper is adorable! It's going to be so much fun for you personalizing it and making it your own.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:39 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Hey Warren - is there room on the side or back wall to do a fold down bed in there? Be cool to have it fold down from the back if the room is wide enough... or drivers side would definitely be long enough!

And dont be too quick to rule out a generator... depending what the amp draw is on that window AC, you might get away with a really small light one.

The Honda 2000/2200 are sweet, but a bit pricey. Harbor Freight has a clone for 'only' $500.

I got one of these to run a 5500BTU window unit in the bus drivers window, it was on sale for $85 -
https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-g ... 63025.html

The data plate on my AC says it draws 450W, but this 900w generator JUST starts it. Once it is running, it works great. Sips gas. and is quiet. I had to fill it once during an all night run. For ~$100 its hard to beat.

EDIT - Hm... the thread title is NONprimitive camping... so maybe the generator is unnecessary. But I am cheeeep. :lol: Instead of paying a couple hundred for a few days use of an outlet, I would rather buy something that will be with me for years. But after going W/E for OBJ ... I do have to admit it was really nice to just 'plug in' :D

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:42 am Profile
Wanee Fan

thanks for the info Volkemon ... current plan is a full size bed at the "back" of the camper with storage underneath ... that will leave us about three feet for a little fridge, maybe microwave.

we are definitely looking at either a popup canopy or other alternative. thinking of one of these as well ... and a porta-potty to go with it ... still have to research those!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... #read-more

you make a good point on using a generator instead of paying for a w/e site ... i called SOSMP and it seems like about $250 for the site during a small festival (roots)

i could get a decent generator (one like you suggested) for that ...

so much to consider ... it's gonna be fun!

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

That is a cool little shower tent, we got one to use with the outside shower on the camper. Have not set it up yet... :) Next visit to SOSMP prolly.

You may find a bigger 10x10 pop up (with sides) will serve the same purpose, and allow a lot more private room. Not that many of the pop ups have straight legs, some have angled. I much prefer the straight for this use.

Yours is 8 foot long... We got one of these for camper use, it fit perfect between the awning and the front bumper on the passenger side. Works like an "airlock' to keep people out. Fairly well made, survived Hometeam, Wanee and OBJ so far. Has 2 zip up doors and 2 window panels, and they can be installed in any arrangement.

https://www.amazon.com/Quictent-Upgrade ... B07B61VL36

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:00 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Here is a few setup pics from NYE Hometeam to give you an idea how we use the popup -

Attachment:
0000296.jpg

Attachment:
0000298.jpg

Attachment:
0000299.jpg

Camo netting ROCKS. Makes tapestries stay put in the wind and gives a lot of privacy. Radical tilt on the awning was to ensure rain drainage and clear the door on the side. :)

The ONLY way in and out ids through the 8x8 'airlock'. Keeps wooks at bay with an entry barrier, AND a visual barrier of our setup inside.

This setup has an additional ~180 square feet of weather resistant ;) private space beyond the 91 square feet inside the camper. Our OBJ setup with the 13x13 was ~250 sq feet extra. It was a rainy OBJ this year, we were dry as a bone. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:14 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

More thoughts...

RE: Porta Potty - check craigslist. Or... Where you located? I have 3, but really only need one now with one in the camper. Make you a good deal. :)
Also... cleaning it... found this by accident. Cleaning them out RIGHT when you get home, generally gives a lot of solids. If you are emptying into a commode it can cause splashing. :shock: :? Using the 'blue goo' I have found it pays to procrastinate. Let that puppy sit for a couple weeks. No, it doesnt get worse. It lets the enzymes do the work and it all turns into an OK (relatively...) smelling liquid. Makes for nice smooth pour when emptying, flushes easy, and rinses easy. You can even empty onto a compost heap or other outdoor location without the foul smell and mess. One of the few times that putting off a job makes it easier. :D

RE: bed in back - have it hinge so it folds up on the wall. The hinge point can be 18" out from the wall on the edge of a storage box to allow for mattress thickness. Gives you some floor space to use in the 'Gotta stay inside' times, especially if you dont have the room outside. Still can use the 18" x 6 1/2 foot box underneath for storage. Saw this setup in another mini camper and it worked VERY well.
Small fold up table and chairs stowed under the bed until used.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Volke = GENIUS

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:27 pm Profile
 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next