Last visit was: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:07 am It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:07 am

[ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 non-primitive camping options 
Wanee Fan

Post non-primitive camping options
we have always primitive tent camped at sosmp but are thinking about getting a small(very) camper and was wondering about camping options for electric sites.

we usually camp out pretty far in primitive ... are there any electric sites that are kinda secluded? or are we gonna have to get used to a more community feel?

i know these music festivals are all about being with people but as a hermit i've always enjoyed having a private spot to come back to lol.

would love to hear from folks who have made the tent to camper transition themselves or those who have been camper camping for awhile!

thanks!

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:28 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

Post Re: non-primitive camping options
For festivals, I usually camp on one of the main drags in a W/E site, but when nothing is going on, we try to be off the beaten path a little. Unfortunately, there aren't very many upgraded sites in the woods. BUT the park keeps adding sites. Your best bet would be to call the park and ask. Another option would be to purchase a small generator. Then you could be as far away from civilization as you like.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:06 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

AndieBee wrote:
Another option would be to purchase a small generator. Then you could be as far away from civilization as you like.

yeah we have thought about a generator ... i think you have to be in a certain areas to use your generator during festivals ... is that correct?

never had a camper before so this is all new territory : )

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:33 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

I'm sure it would depend some on the festival & how big a crowd they draw, right? I've only ever been to the park for Magfest/Revival (mid-October). We've always tent camped in what *was* the Hidden Woods. When we got there this past October, we found that the area we loved was no longer hidden, and no longer woods. They'd cleared it out & turned it into a bunch of water & electric sites. I don't think any of them were rented for Revival - though a handful were being used by tent people who I assume were squatting (some of them were pretty good for that - they'd left a line of trees at the back of the sites, so folks had the tents & hammocks set up there & used parked cars in the spot you'd normally park an RV or camper).
Anyway, at a festy the size of Revival that area was still pretty secluded.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:43 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

If a generator runs in the woods and no campers are there to hear it, does it even make a sound?

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:02 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Back of E/F camping is usually one of the spots for generator camping. I know there are others too, but can't exactly remember where, I think there is some generator-designated camping in the Renaissance area. This is explicitly for Wanee. For the smaller fests, there is so much space I would imagine that you could find lots of places to camp with a generator where no one would care (in those two areas above and others).

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:21 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

not sure if we will go the generator route (probably won't) ... we are going to roots revival and if we get/bring a camper we will probably get an electric/water site ... next we have to decide on the best area ...

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:46 am Profile
Wanee Fan

well ... we found a camper ... 6 1/2 x 8 feet ... blank canvas inside and we are definitely gonna come up with a different color scheme! We should have it at Roots Revival ... now just have to figure out where i want to camp ... gonna get a W/E site.

Attachment:
camper-exterior-1.jpg

Attachment:
camper-exterior-2.jpg

Attachment:
camper-interior-combined.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:33 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Congrats Warren0728!

Just 'moved up' to a 24 foot B+ camper from a VW bus. I have learned a few tricks.

Bus living area behind the front seats was about 6x10. :D and 1/2 of that is the back seat/bed. I had a 'drive away' tent that went on the side that was 8x10, and it made a WORLD of difference. Private place to stand, dress, etc.
We had a 4x4 shower pan with on-demand hot water, and a small port-o-let for those late night needs. Beats walking to the toilet in drizzle..

:lol:

Mine is a twin to this tent -

Maybe for your setup try a 10x10 popup with sides, next to the door-side of your camper. Make this your 'outer room' and private. Width is now ~16 feet, so a 13x13 behind that would make a nice party area. So might a 10x15 tent, bit more work but more usable, securable area.
20x20 tarp covers everything in case of hard rain either setup. 8-)

Hm.. a 10x10 pop up might work over the whole camper! Keep you much cooler if you get stuck in the great wide open.

Make sure you keep the passenger /door side of the camper up to ensure rain drains away from the door.... maybe toss a couple foot long pieces of 2x6 wood for blocks.

Does it have stabilizer jacks in back? Might be nice if you detach the vehicle.

Looks like a REALLY good upgrade from a tent! :D Keep us posted as you do the inside.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Hmmm, noticed you said you upgraded. What are the chances that bad ass VE bus is for sale?!?! This is a serious inquiry.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:58 pm Profile
 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next