Last visit was: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:20 am It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:20 am

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The Future of Wanee... 
Wanee Wizard

Post Re: The Future of Wanee...
Dunno. Pattie and I thought E and F areas were kinda sparse this year, but we just drive through in the mornings, and dont camp there. It sure felt like there was a notable area of open space compared to 2017. We didnt have to stay on the 'white paint roads' like last year, we were able to go pretty much any direction with plenty of room.

The lake always seems to have the spare room of an Egyptian ghetto, so no change there. :lol: We are NOT 'city' folk camping.. need LOTS of room and privacy.

On rereading your post...

Quote:
8k range is more of what I’ve heard for Bear Creek/Aura and Wanee 18 seemed easily 2-3x more people than those festivals

No way was Wanee 2018 3 times that crowded (~24K people!!) and maybe not even 2x (~16K people)

Quote:
In 2015, Suwannee Hulaween had no cap on the number of attendees and because of this, it had the most attendees of any year. The attendance was around 17,500 tickets sold. After 2015, a decision was made to cap Suwannee Hulaween in future years at 20,000.
2016 was the first year the Suwannee park implemented a cap on the number of tickets sold. The cap was 20,000 tickets. On October 16, 2017 Hulaween announced that all weekend tickets had been sold. (20K)

Source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suwannee_Hulaween

I was NOT at Hula 2015, but heard it was a ZOO! IF* the wiki page is right, and 17.5K was the MOST attendance of any year (But they sold 20K in 2017... 3K no-showed?)... Heck, 8K at a 'ho-hum' lineup Wanee isnt bad... :geek:

*Wikipedia has been known to be mis-informed... ;)

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:36 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

The Lake was not as packed this last year.
The Loop WAS packed.
Some of the fields held way less people.
River Road did not seem to have as many.
Horse Camp seemed pretty full.
There were very few camping down by the river in those hard to reach areas.
Hidden woods I am not sure about.
It did not appear to be nearly as full as in previous years.

Personal observations.....may or may not be accurate in any way.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:28 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Volkemon wrote:
My source told me that this (2018) Wanee was about 8K people. 2017 was closer to 15K. I have NO way to verify these numbers, but I trust the source. She is in a position to know, and has no interest in inflating/deflating attendance figures I can think of.

The space available on river road (way out where we camp) was hardly crowded, much less full. Usually across the road fills up by Friday, it never did this year.

Hard for me to judge attendance from year to year because 2017 we got a power site in SP on the front row, and we barely left that place. The party kept coming to us, so I didn't get around much. But I can definitely say that 2018 was the lowest attendance I've seen yet. We had an acre in F Field and didn't get there til Thursday.

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I actually think Wanee will happen this upcoming year, after that who knows. I think everyone agrees that LN's effort is, lets just say uninspired, but the attendance seemed pretty good last year and LN can't be shelling out that much money to put it on considering how lackluster the lineup was and that they use essentially the exact same festival setup/decorations/etc each year, so I'm guessing its still profitable to LN and certainly still profitable to SoSMP.

Dude... You have been saying this since 2014. :lol:

I don't see it going anywhere. as long as $400 power sites keep selling out, they will keep it up. They have cut vendors down quite a bit. I could see something like... the park buying the name and moving forward in the future. You have everything from Hula to Spring Reunion that uses the same property. So size of the crowd doesn't affect weather there will be a fest. It is just a matter of packaging it up neatly to sell to the people they want there. I enjoyed this years lineup and the size of this years crowd. I met lots of new friends and camped with old wanee vets and gave rides to plenty of first timers. Two dudes gave me a candy bar just for giving them a ride to their camp waiting 2 minutes for them to get ready for night time, and then giving them a ride to the gate. I thought it was too much, but then I thought.. damn i actually saved them probably 45 minutes. Which may have been 45 minutes of their favorite band. So the wanee vibe is still alive and well. I didn't see a bad band all weekend, and there weren't many points in time where there wasn't music happening. I welcome the smaller crowd and look forward to the smaller bands moving up the lineup. Throw me a price cut and I will be giddy.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:42 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

nickyler wrote:
Throw me a price cut ...

NOW look who's being all pie-in-the-sky!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good points otherwise. This past Wanee had just a ton of great and kind people everywhere. Heard very little (if any) stories of wook drama, or drama of any sort really.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:49 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Volkemon wrote:

Quote:
8k range is more of what I’ve heard for Bear Creek/Aura and Wanee 18 seemed easily 2-3x more people than those festivals

No way was Wanee 2018 3 times that crowded (~24K people!!) and maybe not even 2x (~16K people)
;)

Oh def not. But I would say there were easily 2x the people than Aura 2015, probably in the 2-3x range and Wiki says Aura 2015 was 5,000+, which would put my estimation for Wanee 18 in the 10-12K person range which I could see being accurate. But thats also based off the assumption that those Aura numbers are accurate. Who knows.

What I do know is that the year before the Hula cap was BY FAR the most crowded I have ever seen the park. Granted following that year they did open up some more areas of the park, but I find it very hard to believe that the non-capped year had several thousand people less than the 20k cap year.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:34 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

nickyler wrote:

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I actually think Wanee will happen this upcoming year, after that who knows. I think everyone agrees that LN's effort is, lets just say uninspired, but the attendance seemed pretty good last year and LN can't be shelling out that much money to put it on considering how lackluster the lineup was and that they use essentially the exact same festival setup/decorations/etc each year, so I'm guessing its still profitable to LN and certainly still profitable to SoSMP.

Dude... You have been saying this since 2014. :lol:

Yep, and so far I am 4 for 4!

Lets keep the streak going!

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:38 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Volkemon wrote:

Quote:

;)

Oh def not. But I would say there were easily 2x the people than Aura 2015, probably in the 2-3x range and Wiki says Aura 2015 was 5,000+, which would put my estimation for Wanee 18 in the 10-12K person range which I could see being accurate. But thats also based off the assumption that those Aura numbers are accurate. Who knows.

What I do know is that the year before the Hula cap was BY FAR the most crowded I have ever seen the park. Granted following that year they did open up some more areas of the park, but I find it very hard to believe that the non-capped year had several thousand people less than the 20k cap year.

Another thing to consider (I say this having gone to none of them) is that they also started charging extra for cars after the crazy crowded year. So it could have seemed less crowded with actually more people because a ton of cars were left at the gate. So it could have felt packed in at 17,000 and roomier at 20,000 the next year.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:29 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:

Yep, and so far I am 4 for 4!

Lets keep the streak going![/quote]

Can't argue with that. 8-)

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:30 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

nickyler wrote:
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:

Another thing to consider (I say this having gone to none of them) is that they also started charging extra for cars after the crazy crowded year. So it could have seemed less crowded with actually more people because a ton of cars were left at the gate. So it could have felt packed in at 17,000 and roomier at 20,000 the next year.

Oh yeah thats a good point. I forgot that they didn't charge for car capping in the pre-cap years. They not only charge for car camping they cap car camping and it usually sells out in addition to the tickets selling out.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:14 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

:shock:

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:37 am Profile
 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next