Last visit was: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 pm It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 pm

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Wanee Memories 2018 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Wanee Memories 2018
I took plenty of pictures of my campsite, so I knew what it looked like, because I didn’t leave the music all day Friday and Saturday!

Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:20 pm Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

First, my apology for not making it to the meet & greet. I started down the road, determined that I was far too wobbly to make it to 278, and turned back.

I saw but did not get to talk to (these are the ones I remember):

Tami, Charles, Gov'nah, DartDog, Tina, ???

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the matter:

http://www.musicfestnews.com/2018/04/th ... thank-you/

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
First, my apology for not making it to the meet & greet. I started down the road, determined that I was far too wobbly to make it to 278, and turned back.

I saw but did not get to talk to (these are the ones I remember):

Tami, Charles, Gov'nah, DartDog, Tina, ???

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the matter:

http://www.musicfestnews.com/2018/04/th ... thank-you/

Thanks for the great writeup about Bonnie Blue in your article!

Thu May 03, 2018 8:46 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Bonnie Blue was a great opener to a great 4 days of music, would definitely see’m again!

Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 am Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

I said after the Wednesday Pre-Party...the rest of the weekend would have to step up their game to be better...and that included B. Blue on Wednesday......

Thu May 03, 2018 1:06 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Rivernole wrote:
I said after the Wednesday Pre-Party...the rest of the weekend would have to step up their game to be better...and that included B. Blue on Wednesday......
eric wrote:
Bonnie Blue was a great opener to a great 4 days of music, would definitely see’m again!

Camera sound, but enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BH714WuQic

Thu May 03, 2018 1:52 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Ok so here are my thoughts on Wanee 2018:

First off, it was a very good time as always, there’s nothing quite like the SoSMP. What a magic place. This was my 5th wanee, first was in 2011. This was the smallest crowd of any of the Wanees I have been to (I did not go last year or 2015). Not saying that’s a negative thing, just an observation. But the crowd was great as always. Tons of room at camp too. E/F was scant, I loved that. Park was beautiful. Weather was immaculate.

Onto the music:
-Pink Talking Fish: may have been my favorite set of the entire weekend, such a good time. Elizabeth Reed sandwich set, super sicko. I was hoping it wouldn’t be an all ABB set and was glad it wasn’t. Thought they incorporated the ABB songs perfectly amongst the Floyd/Talking Heads/Phish songs. Just killed it.

-Main Squeeze: as I mentioned above I think they were the band there that best utilized each member’s talent to put on a really great and entertaining show. So in that sense I think you could make a fair argument that they were the best band at Wanee 2018. This was, I think my fourth time seeing TMS and they absolutely bring the house down every single time. This set was also the most engaged I saw the crowd for any band all weekend. They definitely should have gotten a late night set and I hope that next time they are at Wanee they get one. Which brings me to my next point...

-NMA: meh. NMA having one of the only 2-3 covered late night slots is what’s wrong with the LN production of Wanee. Stale act, unexciting, lack of creativity from promoters. It’s just the laziness of doing something that may have worked in the past instead of trying something new and original. Majority of the crowd seemed disinterested at best, present company included. I left after a few songs to wander the grounds. Meh.

-Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe: a talented act but I was a little concerned about their sometimes fairly subdued style translating well into a late night ABB laden set. Well they put the doubts to rest. It was a very good set. Still wouldn’t have been my first choice for the festival closer but thought they brought it and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

-Phil and Fam: loved the Phil and Fam shows. Truthfully I liked them better than the two Dead and Co FL shows I was at in Feb. but in all fairness I’m sure the atmosphere had something to do with that (again, nothing like being at the SoSMP). The other musicians in the band ended up being better than I anticipated, and Phil, man can he still bring it. G.O.A.T.

-Panic: good but not mind blowing. They are a fun band but have their limitations, and you know what you are going to get. J.B. sings a few lines, Dave School plays driving base, and then they let Jimmy Herring solo. I’ve never left a panic show saying I had a bad time, and this was no different they were enjoyable shows but truthfully one night would have been fine. It just gets a bit repetitive. Really one panic show every couple of years for me would probably be fine. I don’t follow Panic closely at all but I heard Jimmy Herring might be done with them. If that’s the case it will be very interesting as he pretty much is the band at this point.

- St. Paul and Marcus King : personally I was underwhelmed by both these acts, caught a few songs then went on my way.

-DSO: my first DSO experience and color me impressed. Really enjoyed the show, would have preferred if they played a whole Dead show instead of a conglomeration of songs, but a good time nonetheless. It’s fun to listen along and try to determine which show they are playing. I had my suspicions early on that things weren’t aligning (especially after Feel like a Stranger), and by mid second set was sold that this wasn’t an old Dead show. Still fun though.

-PPPP: I had very little exposure to Pigeons prior to Wanee (only knew them from what I have heard on Sirius Jam On) but I thought they killed it. Very fun show. Definitely will check them out again in the future.

All in all another great time at Wanee. Hope to be back next year!

Sun May 06, 2018 5:46 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Ok so here are my thoughts on Wanee 2018:

First off, it was a very good time as always, there’s nothing quite like the SoSMP. What a magic place. This was my 5th wanee, first was in 2011. This was the smallest crowd of any of the Wanees I have been to (I did not go last year or 2015). Not saying that’s a negative thing, just an observation. But the crowd was great as always. Tons of room at camp too. E/F was scant, I loved that. Park was beautiful. Weather was immaculate.

Onto the music:
-Pink Talking Fish: may have been my favorite set of the entire weekend, such a good time. Elizabeth Reed sandwich set, super sicko. I was hoping it wouldn’t be an all ABB set and was glad it wasn’t. Thought they incorporated the ABB songs perfectly amongst the Floyd/Talking Heads/Phish songs. Just killed it.

-Main Squeeze: as I mentioned above I think they were the band there that best utilized each member’s talent to put on a really great and entertaining show. So in that sense I think you could make a fair argument that they were the best band at Wanee 2018. This was, I think my fourth time seeing TMS and they absolutely bring the house down every single time. This set was also the most engaged I saw the crowd for any band all weekend. They definitely should have gotten a late night set and I hope that next time they are at Wanee they get one. Which brings me to my next point...

-NMA: meh. NMA having one of the only 2-3 covered late night slots is what’s wrong with the LN production of Wanee. Stale act, unexciting, lack of creativity from promoters. It’s just the laziness of doing something that may have worked in the past instead of trying something new and original. Majority of the crowd seemed disinterested at best, present company included. I left after a few songs to wander the grounds. Meh.

-Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe: a talented act but I was a little concerned about their sometimes fairly subdued style translating well into a late night ABB laden set. Well they put the doubts to rest. It was a very good set. Still wouldn’t have been my first choice for the festival closer but thought they brought it and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

-Phil and Fam: loved the Phil and Fam shows. Truthfully I liked them better than the two Dead and Co FL shows I was at in Feb. but in all fairness I’m sure the atmosphere had something to do with that (again, nothing like being at the SoSMP). The other musicians in the band ended up being better than I anticipated, and Phil, man can he still bring it. G.O.A.T.

-Panic: good but not mind blowing. They are a fun band but have their limitations, and you know what you are going to get. J.B. sings a few lines, Dave School plays driving base, and then they let Jimmy Herring solo. I’ve never left a panic show saying I had a bad time, and this was no different they were enjoyable shows but truthfully one night would have been fine. It just gets a bit repetitive. Really one panic show every couple of years for me would probably be fine. I don’t follow Panic closely at all but I heard Jimmy Herring might be done with them. If that’s the case it will be very interesting as he pretty much is the band at this point.

- St. Paul and Marcus King : personally I was underwhelmed by both these acts, caught a few songs then went on my way.

-DSO: my first DSO experience and color me impressed. Really enjoyed the show, would have preferred if they played a whole Dead show instead of a conglomeration of songs, but a good time nonetheless. It’s fun to listen along and try to determine which show they are playing. I had my suspicions early on that things weren’t aligning (especially after Feel like a Stranger), and by mid second set was sold that this wasn’t an old Dead show. Still fun though.

-PPPP: I had very little exposure to Pigeons prior to Wanee (only knew them from what I have heard on Sirius Jam On) but I thought they killed it. Very fun show. Definitely will check them out again in the future.

All in all another great time at Wanee. Hope to be back next year!

"I don’t follow Panic closely at all but I heard Jimmy Herring might be done with them." - false

Fri May 11, 2018 10:42 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Finally got the video editing working...slow but finally stopped crashing!

PINK TALKING FISH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjYwsFACx9c

Wed May 30, 2018 12:12 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Karl Denson's Tiny Universe -

https://youtu.be/m3RZih6oraI

:D

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:17 pm Profile
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next