Last visit was: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 pm It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 pm

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Metal detectors. Hmmmmm 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Metal detectors. Hmmmmm
the old hide the weapon in the cane trick! brilliant :shock:

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:23 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Super happy Fred camped with you! oxoxoxoxox

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:25 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Rivernole wrote:
Maybe I should not have called him the Gestapo...he was just doing the job they paid him to do. And yes...I did have a knife. Every deplorable white man in the south has a knife in his pocket. I carried it back to camp rather than let them throw it away.....
Dinahmoehummmmmm was correct...they were courteous and efficient.

Funny story.....my buddy that I was walking in with had some joints in a small candy pack with a plastic cap on.....as he unloaded his pocket....the plastic top came off and his joints hit the guy in the chest and fell between his feet. "pick it up.....pick it up" the checker said in a hurry. My friend picked it up and went on his Merry Wanee way....

I'm with ya Nole, believe me! I too am a deplorable, white, southern male of a certain age and I have carried a pocket knife since I was old enough to have pockets. As soon as I saw they were wanding people I went back to the campsite and ditched everything, including the knife.

I wish it were an earlier time, when there was no such thing as checkpoints and metal detectors and security cameras and all the rest, but sadly those days are long gone. As soon as I perfect this time machine I've been working on I'll swing by Marianna and pick you up Nole. We'll set the controls for a better time, when the only thing we had to worry about was maintaining a tasty buzz and charming the pants off the ladies! 8-)

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:42 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

This was not that big of deal, at all. It was wanding, not like you had to walk through an actual metal detector. And the security guys were super friendly and nice. And they weren’t trying to scan you down for illicits or drug bust. And this was not like TSA, I fly several times a month, trust me when I say this wasn’t like TSA. I had to wait in line a total of once all festival and it was a couple minutes max.

. There are bigger things to complain about in this world than having to take your phone and cigarettes out of your pockets for 15 secs. Come on people.

I

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:58 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

I took my pen out of my pocket every time and was never hassled.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:54 am Profile
Wanee Lover

will maestro sport a fanny pack? :o

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:08 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Never had a problem with my pen. I was spun a few times and they let me stand there and gather all my stuff and put it in my hat.

i got to the point where i wore gym shorts so i didn't have to jiggle my belt buckle

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:36 am Profile
Wanee Lover

whole lot of love wrote:
will maestro sport a fanny pack? :o

Next year just a fanny pack nothing else. Well socks so my feet don’t get cold

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:06 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Nola Jazz fest has announced metal detectors for this year- they are the walk-thru variety, with wanding afterwards if warranted.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:30 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Metal detectors (wand or walk thru) are becoming a standard thing. In the last month, I've been to Wanee, the Eagles & Jimmy Buffett at the football stadium in Orlando, Utopia at the opera house in FtL, and Jason Mraz at the opera house here in WPB. All had metal detectors of some sort upon entry. The walk thru seems less invasive, though it was a bit of a traffic jam at the Mraz show.

The Peace River Revival fest didn't have metal detectors, nor did Suwanee Spring Reunion.

Y'all should remember that this is a response to not only the shooting at the country music fest in Las Vegas, but also the bombing at the Ariana Grande show in England... and the Bataclan theatre slaughter at the Eagles of Death Metal show in 2015. A single event can be shrugged off as a lone wolf nut job thing... but these events do keep happening. So there's a sense that the event organizers don't want it happening at their event, and thus this change.

Whatever. I'm not bothered by getting scanned, nor does it alarm me. It's just another modern annoyance... may it be inconvenient for only a few moments. Do it with a smile and get it over with.

OTOH, if I witnessed a 5'0" grandma getting rude treatment from a security goon implying that her cane was concealing a weapon, I might tell the dude his threat assessment skills suck. Check the cane, but there's no need to be a jerk about it. :x

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:07 am Profile
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next