Last visit was: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:22 am It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:22 am

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Phish Summers Tour 2018 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Phish Summers Tour 2018
ArmeDane wrote:
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Bummer about '94 for you, but in all honesty at that point you wouldn't have had the type of above experience anyways. GD is one of the greatest bands of all time, obviously, and one of my favorites, but they were less than a sell of themselves by '94. I too never got to see them live, Jerry died when I was 11 (PS Happy Jerry week everyone!).
I went to some good Dead shows in the 90's... pure magic. Some of the Hippies back then said it just wasn't the same after pigpen died. It's kind of like some of the jaded Phish heads, who say they just haven't jammed well post 1.0. 8-)

There were musical highs no doubt, but the consistency wasn’t there. Plus I was just as much referring to the crowd. Like I said I wasn’t there , but from all accounts the 90s GD crowd was not ideal. Making that special band/crowd interaction I mentioned above even less likely.

And GD was def not the same post Pigpen, although I’d say they were inarguably better. 70’s Dead is unquestionably the peak to me (although I know some would argue), I’m a big Keith guy.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:17 am Profile
Wanee Fan

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I was just as much referring to the crowd. Like I said I wasn’t there , but from all accounts the 90s GD crowd was not ideal. Making that special band/crowd interaction I mentioned above even less likely.
Here's my account of the 90's Dead. These stadium tours brought huge crowds, which came for the party, not the music... which many people see as the downfall of "the scene".

I was not an ideal audience member when I started going to shows. I was a surf punk there for the party in the lot. It was an intoxicating circus that rolled into town and took over. Shakedown was a surreal carnival, and unlike a Punk Rock show, kindness was plentiful. I didn't really "get" the music. Nobody explained improvisational jams to me and it lacked the teen angst I was accustom to... but the Hippies were all-inclusive and eventually got me to go in. That connection continued inside the stadium between audience and band. I understood how the music played the crowd, and could believe the music played the band, but sometimes it seemed like the crowd was playing the band. It took me years of blissful research trying to figure that one out (probably a subject for another thread)... good times! Jaded old-timers are the same in every scene. They're those other surfers in the lineup saying "you should have been here yesterday".

BTW: Not to take anything away from Keith, he could do a lot with a piano, but it was just a piano. I think the 80's, the Brent years, were "the peak". Some of my favorite Jerry stuff involves MIDI and the synth-sounds it allowed him. That, and Brent added a vocal range the band hadn't previously been capable of... and brought back the organ... and the aforementioned MIDI capabilities... and no Donna! ;)

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

"I understood how the music played the crowd, and could believe the music played the band, but sometimes it seemed like the crowd was playing the band. It took me years of blissful research trying to figure that one out (probably a subject for another thread)"

Well start that thread because you've certainly caught my interest!

Hear you on Brent, I think thats the majority take by GD fans, but I liked the, for lack of a better word, simplicity that came with Keith. I don't want to say he took a back seat because I don't think thats necessarily true, but what he did allowed and encouraged the best improving interplay between Jerry and Phil and to me thats the peak of GD. Some of those Playing in the Bands from the early to mid 70's are beyond blissful (9/18/74 may be my favorite example of the Jerry/Phil interaction). Brent definitely brought a different vide, some would say for the better, I would disagree because I don't think you can improve perfection. Plus I really am not a fan of his almost 80's pop-esque synth-ish sound he often employed. But to each there own, one of the things that makes GD so special!

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Heading up to MD in the AM for the weekend shows/tour closers (technically tour closers, but their festival is next weekend and then Dicks run out in CO on Labor Day). Cross your fingers for a Colonel Forbins for me!

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Fun times up in MD last weekend. I’ve heard good things about Merriweatger Post Pavilion for years, those things were false. Most overrated venue in the country? Wayyyyy too crowded, parking situation bizarre, no where close to enough facilities/food beverage vendors. Met up with some friends though and had a really good time irrespective of the lack luster venue.

Musically first night was kind of a dud, well more specifically first set was a dud. Set two picked up some, then a rare 4 song encore was kinda cool. Night 2 was on fire, one of the best first sets I’ve even seen. They kept the energy high in set 2 with an only second time ever set 2 opening Tweeprise, which was also teased/Jammed during Piper and then again added at the end of the encore for a “Threeprise” if you will (I’m trademarking that s#%t!). People post show and in the lot were talking about N2 as an all time great, I wouldn’t go that far as it lacked any huge type 2 jams to remember, but excellent show nonetheless. Never miss a poncho show.

I actually think out of the 5 shows I went to this summer that I liked Gorge N3 the best, although most people would probably think I’m crazy and that MPP2 was way better. To each their own.

Curveball festival starts tomorrow, I will not be there, will probably just live stream the video feed from home and get weird on my couch. Not the same of course, but at least I won’t have those wasted Merriweather bros jumping into me all night.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:32 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

Curveball cancelled. How sad...

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:05 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Sucks for all those people who spent big $$$ on curveball. My friends drove from Georgia just to set up camp and be told it’s cancelled

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:07 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

FWIW, if you got Curveballer friends flopping in the breeze without a plan, HickoryFest is happening this weekend, just a 1.5hr. drive south from Curveball. Grass Is Dead is there, along with Donna the Buffalo, Verlon Thompson, and a bunch more worthy rootsy acts. One could do way worse for a Plan B!
:D

http://www.hickoryfest.com/

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:08 am Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

Dr.dab wrote:
Sucks for all those people who spent big $$$ on curveball. My friends drove from Georgia just to set up camp and be told it’s cancelled

Maybe they could head to NC and The Big What as a plan B. It's something.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Whoa! Didn't see that coming. Talk about a curveball.

On a serious note, the cancellation is so super s#%tty. I'm really bummed about it and I was only planning on streaming! I can't imagine the disappointment in everyone who was actually attending, en route, or even already there. And the disappointment experienced by the band. Just super s#%tty all around.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:20 pm Profile
 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next