Last visit was: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:34 am It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:34 am

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Phish Summers Tour 2018 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Phish Summers Tour 2018
ATL shows killed.

Last night was my favorite show of the tour, just super fun. They opened with You Sexy Thing into Tweezer Reprise (which is almost exclusively an encore for those of you not in the Phish know), and teased You Sexy Thing throughout a number of songs. Also had a Fee bust out (in the encore no less) and a Mango Song bust out. Fantastic jam in Golden Age, only clocked in around 18min but probably my favorite jam of the tour to date. Then ended the encore with 2001 with a long tease of Tweeprise and finally going back into You Sexy Thing at the very end to close out the show.

Hell of a show.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:11 am Profile
Wanee Fan

I ended up in the pit both Saturday and Sunday and had an incredible experience both nights. Honestly it’s going to be hard going to other jam shows now that I know how awesome of an experience phish shows are. So many songs worth re listening to, so many great jams and such an awesome passionate crowd.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:58 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Dr.dab wrote:
I ended up in the pit both Saturday and Sunday and had an incredible experience both nights. Honestly it’s going to be hard going to other jam shows now that I know how awesome of an experience phish shows are. So many songs worth re listening to, so many great jams and such an awesome passionate crowd.

Completely agree, the Phish experience dwarfs all other concert experiences, even of my other favorite jam bands. The crowd is a huge part of that, more specifically the bands non-verbal but musical interaction with a crowd. Never, have I ever experienced anything close to the band/crowd interaction with any other band. How in tuned the crowd is with what the band is doing, is just incredible. So many great examples, but here are two.

The first is the Fluffhead from the Hampton 2009 reunion shows, you could literally feel the energy in the arena leading up to the peak and the crowd just erupts at the peak (13:41 mark on that video), I get chills every simple time I watch it.

The second is actually probably my favorite example of the in tuned-ness of the crowd. Its Phish opening with Sample in a Jar at the Bakers Dozen run this summer. Sample is a pretty common opener, nothing crazy about a Sample starting a show. But at the 3:06 mark, the band drops this change in tone and immediately the entire crowd recognizes the difference.....its the drop into the improved jamming, and its happening in a song where it doesn't usually happen, at a place in the setlist in which it doesn't usually happen. It signifies that the song is about to be something special, and the entire show/night is about to be something special. It's subtle, but yet so recognizable to the Phans. On good recroding/SBDs you can literally hear the crowd react to those first few notes and that change in tone. And you can hear the band react to the crowds response, and see the band react to it when watching video recordings. Its incredible. And indeed they went on to play one of the best shows in years (maybe one of their best shows ever).

What a crowd, what a band, what a scene. Unparalleled.

Fluffhead (13:41)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4POwr8pmlWM

Sample in a Jar (link is full show, Sample is first song, 3:06)
https://soundcloud.com/user-942682835/s ... l-show-aud

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:30 am Profile
Wanee Lover

8/5/18 show inspired me.

Last minute trip to Merriweather Post Pavilion will now be going down.

Flights book, ISO 1 ticket each night.

Party Time!

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:29 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
On good recroding/SBDs you can literally hear the crowd react to those first few notes and that change in tone. And you can hear the band react to the crowds response, and see the band react to it when watching video recordings. Its incredible. And indeed they went on to play one of the best shows in years (maybe one of their best shows ever).

My co-worker, deadhead in his sixties, read this and said "too bad you never experienced that with The Dead" to me.

Wish I had. In 1994 I gave away my tix to see The Dead in Vermont. I had to go do hospice for Grandpa. Figured I would catch them next time... :cry:

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:36 am Profile
Site Admin

This just showed up in my FB feed:

Join us for a free webcast this Friday, August 10th at 7PM EDT from Phish's show at Coastal Credit Union Music Park at Walnut Creek in Raleigh, NC. Tune-in to the FREE webcast at webcast.livephish.com

http://webcast.livephish.com/

What is your listening pleasure today? Find it at
AccuRadio

Deep Nuggets on Tunein Radio - Deep Nugs

And don't forget Deep Jams Radio on Tunein- Deep Jams

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Volkemon wrote:
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
On good recroding/SBDs you can literally hear the crowd react to those first few notes and that change in tone. And you can hear the band react to the crowds response, and see the band react to it when watching video recordings. Its incredible. And indeed they went on to play one of the best shows in years (maybe one of their best shows ever).

My co-worker, deadhead in his sixties, read this and said "too bad you never experienced that with The Dead" to me.

Wish I had. In 1994 I gave away my tix to see The Dead in Vermont. I had to go do hospice for Grandpa. Figured I would catch them next time... :cry:

Yeah I would say that maybe the Dead in the prime would be the only other crowd/band interaction that could compare to Phish.

Bummer about '94 for you, but in all honesty at that point you wouldn't have had the type of above experience anyways. GD is one of the greatest bands of all time, obviously, and one of my favorites, but they were less than a sell of themselves by '94. I too never got to see them live, Jerry died when I was 11 (PS Happy Jerry week everyone!).

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:46 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Those free webcasts are super high quality, don't miss out folks!

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:46 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Bummer about '94 for you, but in all honesty at that point you wouldn't have had the type of above experience anyways. GD is one of the greatest bands of all time, obviously, and one of my favorites, but they were less than a sell of themselves by '94. I too never got to see them live, Jerry died when I was 11 (PS Happy Jerry week everyone!).
I went to some good Dead shows in the 90's... pure magic. Some of the Hippies back then said it just wasn't the same after pigpen died. It's kind of like some of the jaded Phish heads, who say they just haven't jammed well post 1.0. 8-)

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:05 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

ArmeDane wrote:
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I went to some good Dead shows in the 90's... pure magic. Some of the Hippies back then said it just wasn't the same after pigpen died. It's kind of like some of the jaded Phish heads, who say they just haven't jammed well post 1.0. 8-)

Suppose its like that with many bands... like Genesis post Peter, Sting leaving the police (I avoided Sting songs for YEARS cause of him doing that. I was PISSED. :roll: ) and the band YES... thats so convoluted there were 2 YES bands touring until Chris Squire died. I liked them both, however. :lol:

I am gonna listen to the webcast tomorrow, and see if there is any spark that may remain of the Phish I loved back at the dorm parties. I was turned off by a lot of their stage stuff in the 90's, and never looked back. Gotta keep an open mind, right?

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:49 am Profile
 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next