Last visit was: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:17 pm It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:17 pm

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 florida dead and company run 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: florida dead and company run
hope all you peeps had as much fun as us. what a show. dang that kid sure can play guitar. ;) makes lockin even more invitable

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:54 am Profile
Wanee Fan

I was impressed with both shows... everything from the lot scenes to the band's performances.

I'm amazed at how well downtown Orlando went. The pre and post show party on Church St. was a sight to see: organized balloon sales, delivered right to your table... bands playing at both ends of the strip. It sure turned out better than last time the "Dead" played in Orlando... laughing gas is always better than tear gas any day! ;)

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:07 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Finally back around to posting on the Wanee message board. A couple thoughts on the shows:

-first off, I feel blessed to have the opportunity to see Bobby and the other (non-Phil) remaining members of the Dead, and overall I had a good time and am glad I went

-that being said, not to be a curmudgeonly curmudgeon but this run did not live up to my expectations, although perhaps my expectations were too high. Bobby, it appears, doesn't have much left in the tank. God bless him for giving his all at the ripe old age of 70, but its just not consistently there. Bright spots for sure, and again I feel blessed to be able to even see him at his age, but I didn't even realize his guitar was turned on until about midway through the second night of the run (obvious exaggeration but you get my point). I don't want to talk bad about the guy, he's a legend, truly an all time great; perhaps (hopefully) it was just an off couple of nights as I heard second hand that the Bobby and Phil duo shows have been killer. Or maybe its just me (and my friends I went to the show with who felt the same), because other people I talked to (at least post-Sunrise show) didn't seem to notice.

-the energy was sooooo low for those shows, I thought the Sunrise show was by design, due to the melancholy associated with the recent shootings, but then the Orlando show was even slower paced. I listen almost exclusively to 70's Dead and its obviously not fair to compare Dead and Co to 70's Dead but man even a little bit of that higher paced energy would have been greatly appreciated.

-my last Negative Nancy comment is in regards to the lot. In regards to Sunrise, I can't really comment on the overall lot scene because we arrived on the later end and didn't get to fully partake, but I will say it was quite ominous seeing officers with AK 47-type automatic weapons on headsets running through the crowd when I was waiting to get in the arena. I understand this was heightened security due to the recent violence in the area and I fault neither Dead and Co nor the police nor venue for this, but to say that didn't impact my overall experience would be lying. In regards to the Orlando lot scene/pre-party, we arrived early and were all set to party, only to have the pre-show quickly spoiled by my friends cell phone getting stolen (outside of a bar, she left it on a table, returned less than 2 min later and it was also taken and turned off so that it could not be tracked on Find my Phone app-indication of a thief that has done this before). Again, this shaped our whole experience of not just the lot but the overall show. The lot scene being riddled with gangsters from the Nitrous Mafia was also not ideal. I in no way consider myself a prude, but those dbags selling nitrous are notoriously bad news and bad dudes. Not being able to walk 5 steps without running into a thug with an ear piece camped next to a nitrous tank is not my idea of a chilled out good time lot scene. To each their own.

Bright spots:
-Mayer killing it; I knew the man was talented but I was taken aback by just how good he is. This band is Mayer and Co, he essentially carried the band on his back the entire two night run.

-musical highlights of the two night run were: Help on the Way->>through Dark Star and a John Slayer crushing of They Love Each Other; Terrapin was my favorite of night two.

-that Sunrise poster with the Jerry Bear on the wave....badass

-good times spent with great friends

So again, not to be a Debbie Downer, but I wanted to get my thoughts out. I would definitely see Dead and Co again, but I would temper expectations and any thoughts of doing LockN or a Dead and Co summer run are no longer on my radar. I'll stick with Hula, Phish tour, and the abundance of recordings of GD in all their glorious 1970's prime.

Final note: sorry brother BB that I didn't text you to arrange a meet up, as I mentioned the late arrival to Sunrise threw things off, then the incident with the stolen phone kinda abruptly changed our plans as we dealt with that. One of these days we will meet up!

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:55 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Hey Mangos

You mentioned a ton of SWAT like cops, AND a ton of Nitrous dudes?

Did they never run into each other?

You should have just introduced them. :lol:

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:20 am Profile
Wanee Lover

nickyler wrote:
Hey Mangos

You mentioned a ton of SWAT like cops, AND a ton of Nitrous dudes?

Did they never run into each other?

You should have just introduced them. :lol:

Haha, good point.

Well the swat team was at the Sunrise show, and the Nitrous Mafia mostly at Orlando. Otherwise, it would have been a good introduction.

Actually the police presence at the shows was very reasonable. They definitely seemed to be ignoring the things that can be ignored and were there for safety as they should be. Its not that I am blaming them at all. They were flat out ignoring people with nitrous tanks filling balloons. So its not like the guy with the AK 47 was running to bust a dude smoking a joint. Which actually made it all the more ominous when I saw them "reacting" to whatever was being told to them over the ear piece, as I was like "s#%t this may actually be something bad". Just a weird vibe.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:39 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

I hate the nitrous dudes. Horrible at the WSP shows for the last few years. Just not the goodpeople scene we are know and love.

Robb

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:10 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Final note: sorry brother BB that I didn't text you to arrange a meet up, as I mentioned the late arrival to Sunrise threw things off, then the incident with the stolen phone kinda abruptly changed our plans as we dealt with that. One of these days we will meet up!

No worries! I understand... ya gotta deal, when the bad stuff happens. Sorry about the stolen phone; I hate thievery.

I had all manner of iffy luck on meet ups... got to Sunrise early, went over to a place where a big Deadhead meet for out-of-towners was happening... not a soul from my crew was there. Everyone was late! Trouble at the hotel check-in, as I recall. Ack. So we just decided to park; fortunately thru FB we knew where Shakedown was setting up, and headed there. Got there a lil after 4pm and had a ball. Was amazed at the 80s era chill 'you can get anything you want' vibe. Found my locals who were vending and it was a sweet scene indeed. Bumped into a TON of old friends...

BTW, the nitrous mafia was definitely out in force after the Sunrise show. Didn't really see much in the Shakedown lot before... I'm with Ribs-n-Whiskey ... it's a very skeevy part of the scene. We were walking to Amway the next night and saw 5 or 6 gassed out freaks, begging for $$ and sweating like they were working on a Mississippi railroad in July. Ick.

Ah well... drugs > music has been an issue for the Dead since some time in the 1980s, not sure anyone's ever gonna 'fix' it. As others have said: to each his own... but I don't see a thing that nitrous adds to the vibe. It only takes away.

Re: the police... you see a LEO with the tactical gear and the rifle? That's known as a show of force. Yeah it's a little jarring to see someone in near full military gear, loaded for bear. BUT, it's a visual presence for anyone who might do something crazy, e.g.: place a bomb like they're at a Ariana Grande concert. I thanked the LEOs I passed, for being on the job, and for watching out for the *real* bad guys.
:idea:

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

thanks bob i was treated good by security upon entrance. i saw the nitroux out there before the show. walked by to church street. on the way back there had to be 10 people slumped over sitting on the curb. :o i thought the show in orlando was awesome. listen to althea here https://archive.org/details/dac2018-02-27.dac2018-02-27 it was a good warm up for the grate springfest

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:25 pm Profile
 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6