Last visit was: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:51 pm It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:51 pm

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 **The Thread for All Things Phish Tour-Summer 2017 Edition** 
Wanee Wizard

Post Re: **The Thread for All Things Phish Tour-Summer 2017 Editi
LOL... thanks for that! I feel younger already. His Geritol must have been lumpy that morning.

someone too lazy to google wrote:
"Welcome to the most famous arena in the world". Really ??? More famous than what ? More famous than the Coliseum ??? You gotta smile, over 90% of the New York population wouldn't have a clue where the Coliseum is actually located !! Anyway, I ignored the specious claims of the venue

Madison Square Garden
“The world's most famous arena” received its official name on this date in 1879, when owner William Kissam Vanderbilt dubbed his roofless building Madison Square Garden. At the time, the property, which hosted dog shows and boxing matches, was located at 6th Street and Madison Square in New York.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/athletes-life ... mous-arena

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:33 am Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

He said "he organized that show at Watkin's Glen"....this guy must have some cred.
And if I am not wrong.....the Dead played that show with the ABB as headliners.......
of course....this is some guy on FaceBook......so he lost all cred with me.....hahaha
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:45 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

I feel bad he didn't enjoy it, but I mean the review honestly sounds like some grumpy old man bitching about "kids" (Who are 50+ yr old men and accomplished musicians) and how his generation was better.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 am Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

Dr.dab wrote:
Who are 50+ yr old men
Dr.dab wrote:
and how his generation was better.

Oops ....that would be me!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

whole lot of love wrote:
sam cutler posted this on his facecrack site "IS THIS ME ???
Last night, in a kind of "Don't look back" moment I finally gave in to a friend's insistent urging and went (against my better instincts) to Madison Square Garden to see a band. As I lined up amongst the rest of the punters an ominous greeting baldly blared out a message and stated "Welcome to the most famous arena in the world". Really ??? More famous than what ? More famous than the Coliseum ??? You gotta smile, over 90% of the New York population wouldn't have a clue where the Coliseum is actually located !! Anyway, I ignored the specious claims of the venue, allowed myself to be searched, and entered the premises. I sat in the 'nose bleed' seats way in the back and observed the crowd .. about 20% of the tickets remained unsold by my most conservative estimate, and the band was playing a thirteen night run. Someone, I felt, was being somewhat over optimistic .. this was no Dead Head crowd. The people looked a trifle too 'regular' to be Dead Heads, a little too conventionally dressed .. I saw a couple of tie dies, a few faded Dead T Shirts, but by and large the audience seemed (to me) to be comprised of middle class all-American citizens. White, well dressed, and nary a person of colour (or any Latinos) in sight. The band hit the stage to the obligatory welcoming roar .. their drummer was dressed in a ridiculous 'frock' covered in what I mistakenly thought was a 'doughnut pattern'. See they're playing thirteen nights (a baker's dozen) hence the donut theme !! I was offered a doughnut on the way into the gig .. a doughnut !!! Who thought of THAT infantile and essentially unhealthy gesture ? One of the band had purple-grey lipstick. Was it them, or is it me? Am I getting too old for this s#%t? They launched into a dreadful a cappella song of startling banality and a melody that would have graced a children's game .. the crowd, mysteriously, lapped it all up and thought it wonderful. I felt sure if I'd eaten one of the welcoming doughnuts on offer I would undoubtedly have puked at the first song. No matter, I reasoned, things can only get better. Things got worse. Four little rich white boys played a song that sounded suspiciously like the blues, with a chorus that made endless references to "my soul" and possessed as much 'soul' as one of my ingrowing toe-nails, and once again the audience duly adored what was on offer. Is there some connection, I wondered, between eating doughnuts and having the most appalling musical taste ? I decided to give the band one more song. It wafted by like the miserable whisperings of some radio playing a far off tune somewhere further down the beach. This is it ? THIS is what can (almost) fill MSG for thirteen nights ? After the fourth song, and mercifully before it finished, I decided that my need for food was greater than my need to listen to this band. Weak drumming, inconsequential key boards, derivative lead guitar, lyric that were perfect for a children's party, or a gig at the local high school. It was dreadful. What can I say? It must be me! Because if THIS is what it takes to be successful in the contemporary music scene I'm no longer wanting to be a part of it. Phish ? It smelt to me like it was caught two weeks ago and any cat offered this for supper would quite rightly turn up it's nose. I went to eat .. what did I eat? Fish and chips .. I've never eaten a doughnut in my life, and I can't see THAT changing any time soon. As I walked out someone told me about this band playing Watkins Glen and proudly boasted how the band had sold some sixty thousand tickets. Man, these guys are children! Making music for other children. When they were little boys playing with their dolls I organised a show at Watkins Glen that had over 600,000 people attending .. music for adults played by grown ups. Remember those days? These guys obviously didn't have a clue about such mature goings on .. but (of course) it was way before their time.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Although fairly entertaining. That being said I don't trust anyone who has never eaten a donut in his life!

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:55 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Dr.dab wrote:
I feel bad he didn't enjoy it, but I mean the review honestly sounds like some grumpy old man bitching about "kids" (Who are 50+ yr old men and accomplished musicians) and how his generation was better.

Exactly. He probably had s#%tty doses too. Although, if there was something that was inarguably better in his time......

But anyways, I digress. Double Chocolate donut tonight. And y'all with have to take my word for it but I 100% called Chocolate Rain, which they indeed opened with. Probably my best "call" of all time, except of the time I called The Ladyland bustout for the first time in 20 years at Dicks in 2015 (but that was blind luck).

Not streaming tonight due to work, blah, but will be following the setlist all night.

Last point, if the Mixlr feed is ripped from the official stream it will get shut down. But there should be a number of other (legal) feeds on Mixlr.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:51 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Cinnamon Glaze donut tonight. Perhaps a Cinnamon Girl cover, and maybe a "Blaze On" with the lyrics changed to "Glaze On"? Just some thoughts. Put on your creative hats and take a guess!

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:48 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Cinnamon Glaze donut tonight. Perhaps a Cinnamon Girl cover, and maybe a "Blaze On" with the lyrics changed to "Glaze On"? Just some thoughts. Put on your creative hats and take a guess!

I hate to toot my own horn but this guy NAILED IT with both the calls above.

They are killing it tonight, played Colonel Forbins in set 1 which has been my #1 want song for many years (and I missed it by 3 shows! Agh!). Set 2 kicking off soon, tune it music lovers!

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:48 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Mango dude:

Just like last summer, I do enjoy reading your Phishy show notes. Still not much of a fan of the band, but I do respect them for doing what they do and making so many people happy with their thing. It does sound like fun, the donut theme is a hoot!
:D :D :D

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 am Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

Thank you for your reviews! I too enjoy them. Next best thing to being there, or a couch tour...

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:42 am Profile
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next