Last visit was: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:07 pm It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:07 pm

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 **The Thread for All Things Phish Tour-Summer 2017 Edition** 
Wanee Lover

Post **The Thread for All Things Phish Tour-Summer 2017 Edition**
It's that time of year for my annual thread dedicated to the summer tour of the best band on the planet. Actually, it's well past that time as tour in 8 shows in. My bad folks, I know how much y'all look forward to this thread every year! (Actually it usually just consists of me posting incessantly with an occasional intervention by the good Reverend).

Anyways, onto the meat (speaking of, get well soon Rob!) of this thread. As I mentioned tour is well underway. As I'm sure most of you know Phish is doing something very different than regular summer tour this year. The majority of the tour is actually just one long residency at MSG; 13 shows in 17 nights with no other acts performing at the Garden during that entire span. The summer also features 5 shows prior to the Bakes Dozen run, and the yearly 3 day run at dicks in Colorado to close things out.

Tonight will mark the fourth MSG show of the run, and the 9th show of the tour. The boys have come out absolutely on fire this summer. The first 5 nights (the non-MSG nights) having zero repeats. A couple highlights for me include the Simple from 7/15/17 which clocked in at near 28min (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KlcHi4c_22w) and pretty much the entire Nutter Center set, especially the Down With Disease -> Mountains in the Midst.

The fire has continued into the MSG run. For each show they are giving out a special donut to each attendant, then playing songs in the set related to the themed donut (for example one night the donuts was strawberry and they played their first ever cover of "Strawberry fields Forever").

You can live stream all the Bakers Dozen shows at LivePhish.com (a bit pricey but great audio/video feeds). Check out HoodStream.com for unofficial (and free) taper section live streams. Either route you choose, I highly recommended tuning in. The run continues tonight, and for those you wondering tonight's donut is Rasperry Dipper and Jam Filled. Sounds like a show I don't want to miss!

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:24 pm Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

Post Re: **The Thread for All Things Phish Tour-Summer 2017 Editi
Thank you for the low down, I always look forward to reading your reviews...

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:04 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

They've been jamming really great this whole yr so far I think, I loved the DwD> Strawberry Letter 23 they played a couple days ago at msg. I'm praying they return to Miami this new year so I can catch my first shows

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:08 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

thanks mango :)

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:23 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Last night (7/25) was insane. Jam filled indeed! The show featured several extended, jammed out versions of songs that aren't necessarily considered their classic jam tunes. Highlights included a 30min version of Lawn Boy (a song that typically clocks in under 5min), and an absolutely raging 33plus minute version of Crosseyed and Painless; both almost undeniably stack up with some of the best Phish Jams of 3.0. Additionally the first set was the ever rare 5 song set, first 5 song first set since 2004. All in all last nights show may go down as one of the best Phish shows of all time, at the very least one of the best shows since the turn of the century.

Tonight's donut is "Classic Powdered Sugar". Lots of speculation as to what that might be, about halfway through the first set now and many of the predictions have already been ruled out. We shall see what the rest of the set brings, will be back tomorrow with an update.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:59 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

copyright infringement site shut down. no phish live

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:55 am Profile
Wanee Lover

unless you pay :cry:

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:55 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Another sick show last night. Highlights include an increasingly rare type 2 Tube (one of my favorite songs for them to go into type 2 jamming) to close out first set, a Pebbles and Marbles bust out (first since 2014), and an absolutely raging cover of "1999" (first time played since Dec 31st 1998). They encored with a cover of "Powderfinger" in reference to the night's donut. Fantastic show. I already am willing to say that this year has surpassed 2015 and is almost inarguably the best the band has played since the 90's. Blown away from these last few shows.

Off tonight, then back for Fri-Sun. I will unfortunately be missing the streams the next two nights due to work obligations, but will be following the setlist. I recommend you tune in if you can!

(PS-HoodStream is still active, so I am not sure what the above post is referencing; also HoodStream isn't copyright infringement, its like streams of taper section feeds).

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:48 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

i was listening to mixir.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:15 am Profile
Wanee Lover

sam cutler posted this on his facecrack site "IS THIS ME ???
Last night, in a kind of "Don't look back" moment I finally gave in to a friend's insistent urging and went (against my better instincts) to Madison Square Garden to see a band. As I lined up amongst the rest of the punters an ominous greeting baldly blared out a message and stated "Welcome to the most famous arena in the world". Really ??? More famous than what ? More famous than the Coliseum ??? You gotta smile, over 90% of the New York population wouldn't have a clue where the Coliseum is actually located !! Anyway, I ignored the specious claims of the venue, allowed myself to be searched, and entered the premises. I sat in the 'nose bleed' seats way in the back and observed the crowd .. about 20% of the tickets remained unsold by my most conservative estimate, and the band was playing a thirteen night run. Someone, I felt, was being somewhat over optimistic .. this was no Dead Head crowd. The people looked a trifle too 'regular' to be Dead Heads, a little too conventionally dressed .. I saw a couple of tie dies, a few faded Dead T Shirts, but by and large the audience seemed (to me) to be comprised of middle class all-American citizens. White, well dressed, and nary a person of colour (or any Latinos) in sight. The band hit the stage to the obligatory welcoming roar .. their drummer was dressed in a ridiculous 'frock' covered in what I mistakenly thought was a 'doughnut pattern'. See they're playing thirteen nights (a baker's dozen) hence the donut theme !! I was offered a doughnut on the way into the gig .. a doughnut !!! Who thought of THAT infantile and essentially unhealthy gesture ? One of the band had purple-grey lipstick. Was it them, or is it me? Am I getting too old for this s#%t? They launched into a dreadful a cappella song of startling banality and a melody that would have graced a children's game .. the crowd, mysteriously, lapped it all up and thought it wonderful. I felt sure if I'd eaten one of the welcoming doughnuts on offer I would undoubtedly have puked at the first song. No matter, I reasoned, things can only get better. Things got worse. Four little rich white boys played a song that sounded suspiciously like the blues, with a chorus that made endless references to "my soul" and possessed as much 'soul' as one of my ingrowing toe-nails, and once again the audience duly adored what was on offer. Is there some connection, I wondered, between eating doughnuts and having the most appalling musical taste ? I decided to give the band one more song. It wafted by like the miserable whisperings of some radio playing a far off tune somewhere further down the beach. This is it ? THIS is what can (almost) fill MSG for thirteen nights ? After the fourth song, and mercifully before it finished, I decided that my need for food was greater than my need to listen to this band. Weak drumming, inconsequential key boards, derivative lead guitar, lyric that were perfect for a children's party, or a gig at the local high school. It was dreadful. What can I say? It must be me! Because if THIS is what it takes to be successful in the contemporary music scene I'm no longer wanting to be a part of it. Phish ? It smelt to me like it was caught two weeks ago and any cat offered this for supper would quite rightly turn up it's nose. I went to eat .. what did I eat? Fish and chips .. I've never eaten a doughnut in my life, and I can't see THAT changing any time soon. As I walked out someone told me about this band playing Watkins Glen and proudly boasted how the band had sold some sixty thousand tickets. Man, these guys are children! Making music for other children. When they were little boys playing with their dolls I organised a show at Watkins Glen that had over 600,000 people attending .. music for adults played by grown ups. Remember those days? These guys obviously didn't have a clue about such mature goings on .. but (of course) it was way before their time.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:18 am Profile
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next