Last visit was: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 pm It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 pm

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Let's fix the tub drain! 
Wanee Fan

Post Re: Let's fix the tub drain!
Rivernole wrote:
Volkemon wrote:
Andie headed strait for me with a hammer in the bathroom.

Sounds like a line in a good murder mystery.......(or even one not so good).....

or a line from a good country song...

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:17 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

It appears it already had a bigger flange on it.
But let me get this straight...
You put the lime in the coconut
Drink it full up.....

Wait....that is something else.....
Think about this bbob......cars get injured far worse than this in wrecks and they are repairable.....
I think if you removed the affected area......clean the rusted area....coat with a good coat of Ospho...let dry....then put a finish coat of (maybe) bondo......repaint.....and put a new tailpiece in place and you will be good to go.
But let me tell you....it ain't gonna be easy.....
Or you could call a reputable plumber.....
Yes....they do make matching paints....at a good Plumbing store they might have them...not at the Big Boxes.....
So ....this is on the upper floor......hmmmmmmm....makes one wonder how long it has leaked and what damage there might be to the plywood floor under the tub......
Also realize.....the tub more than likely rolls up under the ceramic tile(?)( but not very far.....just enough to cause problems....)....so if you do remove....probably get ready for a major overhaul of the bathroom.....

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:06 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Rivernole wrote:
Think about this bbob......cars get injured far worse than this in wrecks and they are repairable.....

Very true. But cars don't have to be water tight... they just have to keep the rain out. Actually, cars are made to take on water, but then drain it back out the weep holes. And with old cars, sometimes the holes get clogged with rust and debris... I've had cars with sloshy doors; I bet you have too.
:D

Rivernole wrote:
I think if you removed the affected area......clean the rusted area....coat with a good coat of Ospho...let dry....then put a finish coat of (maybe) bondo......repaint.....and put a new tailpiece in place and you will be good to go.
But let me tell you....it ain't gonna be easy.....

The whole drain/overflow assembly has to be replaced. And the way to get to that is from underneath, IOW, make a big hole in the ceiling of the half bath downstairs and wrangle it from there. There's an duct that is in the way... flexy 4" corrugated aluminum stuff.

Nothing's easy at this point. But I do agree about the scale of the job... there's not easy, and limited in scope... and there's *some aspects slightly easier* by undertaking a larger scope of work, IOW, a entire bathroom remodel. Seems unlikely that a new tub can be placed, without cutting out the drywall above the tub... and most likely, cutting away the copper piping. So that means sweating in new piping and valves. The advantage of removing the tub is that the drain assembly is way easier to replace. And the floor condition can be assessed.

At this point I am no longer convinced the tub has to be replaced... Which means I won't know much about a rotted floor, if it exists. I really think the leak has been in the one location directly under the drain, and we already have that damage known and accounted for.

For now, if I do a tub drain repair, I'm setting aside the porcelain repair for the moment. I know I can hire guys to do that, and I know there's DIY kits. My immediate concern is the plumbing integrity... After that is squared away, I can think about making it look pretty.

I am somewhat dead in the water with the neighbor plumber. I've run into this before... guy says he will do a job, or assist. Basically it's a favor, done in their spare time. But say I want to *hire* the guy, since he's working for a larger company, he can't work a side job into his regular 9 to 5 schedule... so then I am hiring his company, not him. And that would be at their corporate rates, cuz his company does commercial work, not little home repairs. The company isn't setup for small jobs. Winds up being not practical, not to mention expensive. So: I still need a plumber.
:|

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

WELL ? Any progress? We need our daily update.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:37 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

I am out of this game......
You are on your own.....
You and Volke can handle this on your own...... :D

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:50 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

eric wrote:
Yes, but has anyone called Bob Sacamano?

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:12 pm Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

ohio wrote:

Is there one?

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

EnjoyingTheRide wrote:
ohio wrote:

Is there one?

There is one.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:27 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

EnjoyingTheRide wrote:
ohio wrote:

Is there one?

The one where if you play it backwards Bob's tub rust converts back into iron, ceiling damage disappears, and leak stops.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:51 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

EnjoyingTheRide wrote:
ohio wrote:

Is there one?

Many, even! :lol:

Well Bob.. You doing a remodel, or are Pattie and I due for a southern tour to see if an 'in situ' is the plan? 8-)

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:54 pm Profile
 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next