Last visit was: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:02 am It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:02 am

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Let's fix the tub drain! 
Wanee Wizard

Post Let's fix the tub drain!
Upstairs bathroom tub drain has been leaking down intermittently on to the downstairs half bath ceiling for over a year now. Leaks a few months ago were due to a bad valve stem. OK! Simple fix. Done, and let's let the ceiling dry for awhile before repair. A week, turned into a few weeks, and now there's drip drip thru the ceiling again. Hmmm ... Neighbor plumber dude comes over while I'm out of town having fun, opens a hole in said ceiling for a better look, and says, no it's not the supply pipes, those are dry. Of course, this is second hand info, interpolated by dear spouse, who isn't handy at all and bad at these sorts of details. Can't actually see any pipes from the hole he made. So I guess he also looked at the work I'd just done... Anyways! Tub drain now suspect. Leaks occur *only when no. 1 son takes an extended shower*, not when momma takes her quick shower. I HATE intermittent problems! Cuz they are intermittent, and hard to replicate. Got a leak on Saturday, when son took a shower... Could not replicate it later that day. Grrrrr. Did some research, watched some YouTube videos.

Decided a drain repair was the least invasive approach. I could cut a bigger hole in the ceiling for a better look... then cut thru the floor above the ceiling, cuz that's the only way to see the drain piping. However, this would be investigation only, not fix. And I'm making a bigger drywall repair for myself later. I figure, just fix the drain, see if that's the solution. The drain has been there 35 (or more) years. So it's stuck. I have figured out at least three ways to loosen the drain fitting, which spins out. Well, it's supposed to spin out!

Sunday is attack day.

Which involved two visits to the hardware store, for implements of increasing severity and oomph.

Nothing in the realm of 'right tool for the job' made it budge.

Finally went at the drain with a 12" screwdriver, and a hammer on the back end of that.

Managed to drop the drain fitting into the space below the tub. "Yeah, that is NOT good. Matter of fact, that's bad."

The drain goes into a 90deg. brass fitting, which separated from the short pipe that runs north to the tub overflow vertical drain pipe. *That* was the thing that was leaking -- the connection downstream from the drain. A piece that should NEVER fail.

But the big news is -- the drain flange in the tub is rusted. Rotted. Corroded! ET AWAY!

There is no way to install a new drain that won't leak like crazy... cuz there is nothing to make a seal *to*. It's et away!!

So 'let's fix the tub drain!' is now 'let's put in a new tub!'

:| :| :|

Calling the plumber today. I'm not doing that job. Mostly cuz it will be bad for my back. I see an entire remodel of the upstairs bath coming down the road ...

Tra la LAAAAAAAAAA!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: << laughter of the insane

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Post Re: Let's fix the tub drain!
Edit -

You know... I am so wrong so often here, I think I will retract that last post and just wish you luck.

Last edited by Volkemon on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:55 am Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

That should be an easy fix......unscrew the flange nut.....remove said flange......
put a new one in....making sure to use plumber's putty...a stainless steel paste...press the flange down into this....tighten nut on the bottle side.....
simple.....
read instructions.....
make sure the downpipe is securely attached with the locking nut....

for a plumber....

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:50 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Bummer.
Just learned on This Old House yesterday that copper/brass can fail if the water is (too) soft. Slowly leaches away the metal over many years...
They actually have a device that hardens the water slightly for that situation. Who knew?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:53 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

Who knew????>

Everything in this old world wears out eventually.....
Sadly some of the newer things wear out faster...planned obsolescence......you replace and not repair!

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:21 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Volkemon wrote:
Edit -

You know... I am so wrong so often here, I think I will retract that last post and just wish you luck.

LOLZ.

I missed it. The before editing part that is!

On the off chance that you may have suggested I done did something wrong... the answer there is YES, at least twice, though more than likely it was at some point in the past... benign neglect, at some point, ceases being benign
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As usual, the first post was me telling on myself. For some reason, it's how I roll ... usually
:P

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:30 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Rivernole wrote:
That should be an easy fix......unscrew the flange nut.....remove said flange......
<edit>

In case I wasn't specific enough... Picture a cast iron tub, ready to be installed... there's a hole on the end, and a hole for the drain... no fixtures attached yet... In my situation, the drain hole has done corroded, and the et away part, has resulted in a significantly larger hole. Also it's no longer round, it's kind of oblong. It's cast, so there's really no good fix for that. Note I'm talking 'good fix'... Not a 'slumlord / make it last till the end of the lease' kind of fix. I own this townhouse. Gotta do the right thing, even if it's ten(?) years overdue.

<edit> Thanks for reading everyone. It's nearing the summer doldrums. I already know what my weekends are gonna be like until festy time cranks back up somewhere around October...

:shock: :? :shock: :?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:34 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

My friend Bob Sacamano said you can't stop half a leak, and you can't dig half a hole, but you could hire a pro!?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:31 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

eric wrote:
...but you could hire a pro!?

:D

Very much on the way towards doing that.

I have that neighbor friend in the plumbering biz. I am in negotiations for having him do the job.

My mind set is: I'm too old for this crap, I'll pay someone. I'm no expert on this stuff.

His mindset, far as I've been able to tell so far is: this is a friend favor, and I'll *help him do it*. Basically he was on the phone saying: buy the parts, I'll put 'em in. He's told wifey he doesn't expect to get paid. I'm leaning towards: time = money, I'll pay the going rate to have someone who won't leave me hanging for weeks, and will do a decent job.

I realize, a plumbing guy doesn't want to get into the whole redesign the bathroom thing... he did that for his GF who lives across the street. But that was his GF. I can pick out fixtures and get them to my place (I guess). But the heavy lifting and 'do it right the first time part'... I want no part of that.

But then I watched some YouTube vids.

Getting the cast iron tub out of there in one piece, will take four gorillas (tub is 330-350lbs!) and some feats of engineering ... upstairs, stairs have a landing and a U-turn... And another U-turn at the top of the stairs...

The other way to remove a cast iron tub is to whack it in place with a hammer, busting it into smaller, lighter pieces... and also a jillion shards of sharp porcelain... but that does seem to be the way to go.

I *could* do the demo: remove the terlet, rip some of the tub tile out, bust up the old tub, and make way for the new tub... Demo, does not take lots of smarts. Whack whack whack whack whack !!!
:? :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Undecided on that right now.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:01 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

JUST ME......I would repair the one that is there......but hey....that is just me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually....have it repaired.....I've got too old for that crap as well....
and my belly is always in the way......dang it....

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:27 pm Profile
 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next