Last visit was: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:32 am It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:32 am

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 We like the WRONG music, for the WRONG reasons. 
Wanee Wizard

Post We like the WRONG music, for the WRONG reasons.
https://heatst.com/world/activists-say- ... nd-change/

(From the link above)
Equality activists are pressuring British music festivals to end their reliance on bands dominated by white males.

Diversity experts ordered organizers to “open their minds” and book more female and ethnic minority acts at some fo the country’s biggest festivals including Reading, Leeds, Download, V Fest and Glastonbury.

We as festival goers have to embrace this push for an equal balance of sexual orientation and race in our musical acts.

So please, lets not continue to judge these artists by the music they produce. . That is a diversion secondary to the real cause... Equality. We should judge them by the color of their skin, or by the gender they are.

Like these noble organizers -

Quote:
Some festivals swore to take the criticism into account. Bestival, a smaller event with a hippy reputation, said it has a “responsibility to help rebalance the male dominance of festival line-ups”.

As such, it is introducing gender quotas for its DJ stage next year, and will insist half of artists are female.

There we go! Lets get this ball rolling. We cant be so myopic and merely choose the bands as has been done in the past.

Look what these haters use for 'criteria' when they book an act for their festival -

Quote:
In response, organizers noted that market forces – rather than sexism – are responsible for who gets asked to perform.

“Why do you think we book the same male acts again and again? Because they sell tickets.

“Trust me, if there was a female headline act in the rock genre that sold the same amount of tickets as any one of the headline acts this year, I’d book them.”

In a separate interview, he said that there had been “a historic lack of opportunity for young women to get into bands”, but said that era had ended, and that merit was the only condition of being picked to play the festival.

Bullsh*t. It is a huge step to admit that the White Male Only band rule has been in effect. But to suggest that women even might have the same chance today is not fair.
We must step forward and make the white male musicians of today responsible for their predecessors pushing women and minorities 'off stage'.

Start discrimination on the basis of gender. Promoters should offer a 'preferred entry' to those of other genders besides MALE. Even more preference for those other than WHITE. There should be quotas that are fair to a higher standard, not ones that discriminate against those who are not as 'commercially successful'.

We as music lovers should go about our musical selection and appreciation with newly opened eyes. No longer blindly following our animal instincts of "Wow! This sounds cool!" to determine who is making ""good"" music. As educated, sensitive and caring music fans we should approach this in a thinking, mature manner.

Ask yourself... is the band balanced? They should be balanced, or better yet outnumbered by genders other than male. Of course, we will have to tolerate a few token males, even white ones. If there are white people in the group, there best be other races represented in equal or greater numbers.

All musicians are equal, but lets help solve the past problems by making some much more 'equal' than others.

So lets jump on this movement, and help the unfortunate. We are the root cause of this problem, after all. We have been choosing the music we like on TOTALLY wrong priorities. And spending accordingly.

/S

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:23 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Post Re: We like the WRONG music, for the WRONG reasons.
I wonder why nobody complains about the racial disparity in sporting events? To be fair, shouldn't we mandate that football or basketball teams be racially proportional to the population... 62.5% non-Hispanic whites, 17% hispanic, and 13.2% African American?

Maybe Rap acts should be limited to 13.2% African American? The other 8 or 9, out of 10, can always give improvisational, Southern Rock a try! 8-)

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:17 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

"We will have to tolerate a few token males....even white ones..."

what horse crap.....right now I don't want to get into a rant......

Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

I'm confused by this entire post. I hate to sound pedantic, but I simply like what I like. Listening to music apps a lot of the time I'm not even aware of what many of the bands look like as far as ethnicity goes.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

I find most of the festies at the park are diverse.....both in bands and maybe not so much in attendees.....but any one is free to go....it is a personal decision as to what you want to see and who you want to see it with.....
The Brothers brought in diversity....and many have followed.
I would love to see Keb Mo...Gary Clark Jr. ....Alabama Shakes....just don't try to force Kanye down my throat.....
I have seen no conflicts....nor expect to.....
Not at our Park!

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:21 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

:lol: Well... glad ArmeDane got it..

The " /s " at the end is an indicator of sarcasm. ;)

I was pointing out something I thought was ridiculous... by being as ridiculous. :D Or trying... the 'truth' is pretty darn funny and a tough act to follow. I think if this were to happen with American promoters, the response wouldn't be so polite. :shock:

I am with you Andie, I am pretty darn clueless when it comes to the ethnical, race and/or gender of many of the acts I listen to. :? ... OK, MOST of the acts I listen to. :lol: Seeing a few of them live has been a surprise.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:00 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

So.....essentially I was the only person that did not get the sarcasm .......
Does not make me feel any differently....

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:34 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Rivernole wrote:
So.....essentially I was the only person that did not get the sarcasm .......

NO you are not... 2 of 3 people that replied didnt. And more read it (40+) , and probably thought it was too stupid to reply. Or didnt get it either.. :lol:

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:48 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

This is what happens when everyone has enough food, and nobody has to run from lions.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:03 am Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

No, it was just a weird post by an offbeat dude... I'm not ashamed to admit I didn't get it.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 am Profile
 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next