Last visit was: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:08 am It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:08 am

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 No Col. Bruce Hampton at Wanee 2018 
Wanee Peach

Post Re: No Col. Bruce Hampton at Wanee 2018
Thanks for the kind comments. Yesterday, the perfect "Bruce-ness" of his exit overshadowed the fact that it was way too soon. I'm feeling the loss more today. :(

I think what I'll miss most is when I would show up unexpectedly during sound check, for a show hundreds of miles away. When he saw me, he would usually throw his arm around me and tell the nearest person some amazing fact about me. It always sounded very impressive...but was always absolute pure bulls#%t! :lol:

Wed May 03, 2017 1:37 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds about right!

Here's a great interview: the Col, interviewed by Jeff Mosier. It's an hour long; I'm two minutes in and already smiling. These are two people that I truly admire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNezyaXlMjM

Wed May 03, 2017 2:27 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Well... I had to see. Hard to believe that anyone thought he was 'kidding around' when he collapsed, but it is ALWAYS easy to see after the fact, right?

WARNING: This clip shows the passing of Col. Bruce. PLEASE do not watch if such things disturb you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMZX8BxWvt8

at ~9:00 he is getting something off the floor... then he is on the floor.

A reminder of how quickly the lights go out.

Enjoy every sammich.

Wed May 03, 2017 2:33 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

Hindsight is 20/20, Col Bruce was known as a prankster and unpredictable his entire career. I can totally believe everyone thought he was joking around. After a couple of minutes of not moving though? I don't know... Kind of like when Redd Foxx died on the set of a tv show. He grabbed his chest just like Fred Sanford and keeled over. Everyone (including Della Reese) thought he was joking, but he died...

Wed May 03, 2017 2:51 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

I watched it once last night. I remember him looking like he's about to get down on the floor...but as he is doing it, he grimaces and goes all the way down. You're right about 20-20 hindsight, but I've seen Bruce do so many strange things on stage, I completely get why people didn't react quicker. :(

Wed May 03, 2017 2:52 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Feel free to remove that video link, Volke. If people want to find it, they can. I don't think it belongs here, where people are posting up remembrances of Col Bruce. As Tommy Johnson says at the end of O Brother: It' ain't fitting.

Wed May 03, 2017 2:57 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

beach bob wrote:
Feel free to remove that video link, Volke. If people want to find it, they can. I don't think it belongs here, where people are posting up remembrances of Col Bruce. As Tommy Johnson says at the end of O Brother: It' ain't fitting.

I'm not one for censorship, and while the ending is sad, this is one monster jam and our friend went out doing what he loved and I kind of find comfort in him passing the baton to Taz as his last kind act. But that's just me.

Wed May 03, 2017 3:20 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

It ain't censorship, it's a suggestion.

And opinions vary... as if you didn't already know that ;)

Wed May 03, 2017 4:22 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Absolutely no disrespect to anyone, but I am gonna leave it up.

If it does offend, PM me or post here, and I will remove it. Been wrong before, might happen again. Not the hill I am gonna die on.

I think it is an incredible look at the exit from an incredible life. One that I can only see a hint of the fire, I am so far away.

But I am closer now.

Wed May 03, 2017 8:23 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

ENJOY EVERY SANDWICH

Wed May 03, 2017 8:51 pm Profile
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next