Last visit was: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:45 pm It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:45 pm

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 contacting management 
Wanee Gnome

Post contacting management
Hi. I need to contact the management of Wanee or the Park.

My tent and screened room were destroyed when the top of a dead tree fell on us Friday.

I am hoping the management will replace my destroyed camping equipment.

But I need to know who to contact.

Can anyone help?

Roger

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:28 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: contacting management
contact your insurance person oh and dont camp under trees with dead branches. I usually look up to see the tree and then use an educated guess if said tree is safe to camp under. This system works as I have had zero personal property damaged by dead falling branches.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:07 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

maestro63 wrote:
contact your insurance person oh and dont camp under trees with dead branches. I usually look up to see the tree and then use an educated guess if said tree is safe to camp under.

Agreed. This is an issue for your insurance.

I am sorry for your loss, and suggest that you not camp within the trees in the future without careful inspection of the foliage.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Should have reported it sooner,and documented with pics etc. just like any incident.Call your insurer, or lawyer!

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:25 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Act of God'd

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:33 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

ReverendHugh wrote:
Act of God'd

This.

Sorry for the OP's damaged stuff, but neither the park nor the festival operators have a liability here.

That said, the park is VERY responsive, if you see an unsafe situation such as a tree about to keel over in your camp. A few years ago, we had part of a dead tree fall on an unoccupied tent... several of us were there and witnessed it, but nobody could have reacted in time to get the tent occupant out of there, had someone been in the tent. Just plain luck someone didn't get seriously injured. We gave the park a call about the dead tree, and ten minutes later a couple staff guys were on scene, chainsawing that thing to the ground.

Situational awareness... it's a handy thing to practice.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:49 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

I'd be willing to bet that there's some fine print somewhere in the camping agreement that says something about not being responsible for damage caused by trees/wind/nature/etc

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:04 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Cut & pasted from the SOSMP Rules PDF I got for Suwannee Roots Revival (had a hyperlink in the ticket order email)... I'm quite certain these rules are standard for all events at the park. To wit~

Cornett’s Spirit of the Suwannee, Inc. and/or any of its management, officers, directors is not held liable for any personal loss, injury, death, property damage, or any other harm suffered by participants, vendors, lessors, spectators at any special event.

And yeah, this is among a number of festival specific rules given in large, bold type, as seen above.

So it's a catchall, and I suppose there might be some extreme situation where someone might have a legal cause against the park for some kind of incident. Just because an entity says 'you can't sue us', doesn't mean someone might not sue them. Though that someone, should probably have something of an Actual Leg To Stand On, legally speaking. I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on teevee.

The fellow in the first post, does not. But that's just like, my opinion, man...

Abide. 8-)

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:47 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

I read that whole document just now.

Interestingly, it has no language referring to primitive camping... I don't think it even uses the term 'primitive camping'... there's general advisories about how you're in natural surroundings, and to please not chop down the trees, and shoot off the crappy fireworks you bought in South Carolina willy-nilly, and be dumb about your campfires, and oh yeah leave the Glock at home cuz you can't have that thing here unless you're an on-duty LEO.

Specific rules about camping, are all about the reserved sites; how many RVs & tents, how many people on a site, proper use of the sewage connections, etc.

Primitive camping? It's a jungle out there.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:57 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Beach Bob, thanks for the thoughts. We were in a legitimate camp site not Primitive Camping. The top of the tree came down on us not branches. The break occurred about 20 feet up and the piece that fell was about 15 feet long with a diameter of over a foot. We did take photos and report it immediately. Campers on both sides of us took pictures as did management representatives.
I understand if someone camps in an undesignated spot but we were in a reserved spot.

Roger

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:07 pm Profile
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next