Last visit was: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:20 pm It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:20 pm

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 2017 Wanee thoughts... 
Wanee Veteran

Post 2017 Wanee thoughts...
Another one in the books. Had a blast and still recouping.

Some thoughts:

The crowd was decent sized despite the lineup being pretty light. People love Wanee, myself included.

Bobby's sets were great but the headline set was out of place, please don't do that to us again. From 6-8 I was happy with it, on Saturday the vibe was far too mellow. Not many people will look back and say that it was the headline act the festival needed.

LN needs to start thinking about appealing to a younger crowd. I love the older crowd and I don't want to see this turn into a kid fest but the current demographic is not sustainable, forgive me for saying that appealing to the 60 plus crowd as a primary demographic is not going to work forever.

Too many cover bands/sets This is a tough one cause I love me some covers but it was a bit much in my opinion. There is a point of diminishing returns and at times I felt I went to a tribute festival. Booking this many cover acts is not sustainable.

DJ logic sucked so bad. Horrible choice, right idea. Papadosio should have closed Thursday night really they had a million choices why logic is beyond me, the guy has lost his touch. One of the first times I walked out on a Thursday late night. As a side note I love electronic music and djs he just sucked terribly.

Had a blast. Loved a lot of the music. Genuinely concerned about the future of Wanee, the curating is not up to par.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:38 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Post Re: 2017 Wanee thoughts...
I'll say that as a one of the younger festival goers there I like the lineups of the last two yrs but do agree Dj Logic was pretty bad. I think the older crowd at Wanee is what makes Wanee what it is, I even think I might prefer it to hula. I wish Trey was the headliner Saturday but it was still good the way it was. I think they could probably sell some more tickets next yr by pulling others like papadosio and other acts that used to headline Aura.

Either way I'll be there for Wanee 2018

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:28 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

funkengroovin wrote:
Papadosio should have closed Thursday night

I'd be all for that... or maybe Turkuaz. Their Funk-Party sound would have appealed to a larger demographic as well.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:44 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

ArmeDane wrote:
funkengroovin wrote:
Papadosio should have closed Thursday night

I'd be all for that... or maybe Turkuaz. Their Funk-Party sound would have appealed to a larger demographic as well.

Anything would have been better than DJ Logic we sat at our camp which is a stones throw from the Mushroom Stage and he sucked.

Let Govt Mule, JJ Grey and Mofro, Turquaz, or any other high energy act play Thursday late night shows.

Oh Gator country

A little bit of that chomp chomp

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:50 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

I'm part of the older crowd. I don't go every year, but have been attending since the Springfest days before Wanee started. I will be there anytime Bob Weir is playing. I love Bob Weir in any format.

But even I thought this probably wasn't the best selection for the Saturday headliner and especially thought the hour acoustic set was strangely out of place. I loved it, but I couldn't help but to keep thinking "it's really odd to have this set slotted at this place and time."

The final hour was fine as a closer I thought, but the acoustic set and the first hour of the campfire band just didn't seem right to me in that context.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:38 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

jon c. wrote:
I'm part of the older crowd. I don't go every year, but have been attending since the Springfest days before Wanee started. I will be there anytime Bob Weir is playing. I love Bob Weir in any format.

But even I thought this probably wasn't the best selection for the Saturday headliner and especially thought the hour acoustic set was strangely out of place. I loved it, but I couldn't help but to keep thinking "it's really odd to have this set slotted at this place and time."

The final hour was fine as a closer I thought, but the acoustic set and the first hour of the campfire band just didn't seem right to me in that context.

Agreed. Move mid way back and the majority of the crowd myself included was sitting, chilling, chatting. Not exactly a headline vibe. Great music but music I would listen to while fishing or trying to catch some z's.

Love and respect Bobby with all my heart, moved up front for a bit and told my wife this could very well be one of the last times we see him which was hard to wrap my head around been a fan since I can remember. We are witnessing the end of an era, unfortunately the time is coming to pass the torch.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:25 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Dr.dab wrote:
I'll say that as a one of the younger festival goers there I like the lineups of the last two yrs but do agree Dj Logic was pretty bad. I think the older crowd at Wanee is what makes Wanee what it is, I even think I might prefer it to hula. I wish Trey was the headliner Saturday but it was still good the way it was. I think they could probably sell some more tickets next yr by pulling others like papadosio and other acts that used to headline Aura.

I am 39 and feel like one of the youths at Wanee. I encourage the older folks to come and I love that they are still there more than one can imagine. 12 years ago the festival started with the Allmans, that ship has sailed. Time for a new backbone to the festival that will attract more folks my age, some younger some older but targeting the 60+ crowd is not going to end well. They could have booked Umph, Moe., ween, could have headlined TAB with two sets, the possibilities are endless.

Catering to the 60+ crowd is a death sentence for wanee.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:32 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

funkengroovin wrote:
Dr.dab wrote:

I am 39 and feel like one of the youths at Wanee. I encourage the older folks to come and I love that they are still there more than one can imagine. 12 years ago the festival started with the Allmans, that ship has sailed. Time for a new backbone to the festival that will attract more folks my age, some younger some older but targeting the 60+ crowd is not going to end well. They could have booked Umph, Moe., ween, could have headlined TAB with two sets, the possibilities are endless.

Catering to the 60+ crowd is a death sentence for wanee.

I think the lineup will be interesting next yr because there won't be Les Brers and we might not have Gregg either. I do hope Wanee keeps going though, I think it's the perfect sized festival for the park

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:41 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

funkengroovin wrote:

Me Too!!

Some thoughts:

The crowd was decent sized despite the lineup being pretty light. People love Wanee, myself included.

Me Too!

Bobby's sets were great but the headline set was out of place, please don't do that to us again. From 6-8 I was happy with it, on Saturday the vibe was far too mellow. Not many people will look back and say that it was the headline act the festival needed.

Gregg Left a hole. IMO

LN needs to start thinking about appealing to a younger crowd. I love the older crowd and I don't want to see this turn into a kid fest but the current demographic is not sustainable, forgive me for saying that appealing to the 60 plus crowd as a primary demographic is not going to work forever.

They can do both. Bobby is old, but still appeals. BBSmoke and Marcus King were nice additions.
JJ Grey was great. They could sprinkle a few more younger acts in for sure.

Too many cover bands/sets This is a tough one cause I love me some covers but it was a bit much in my opinion. There is a point of diminishing returns and at times I felt I went to a tribute festival. Booking this many cover acts is not sustainable.

DJ logic sucked so bad. Horrible choice, right idea. Papadosio should have closed Thursday night really they had a million choices why logic is beyond me, the guy has lost his touch. One of the first times I walked out on a Thursday late night. As a side note I love electronic music and djs he just sucked terribly.

We Tried too. Then left. Then got lost trying to find the Disco Party, but I think we were too early. It wasn't great.

Had a blast. Loved a lot of the music. Genuinely concerned about the future of Wanee, the curating is not up to par.

Just keep coming. So will we... And them...
and the other ones...

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:56 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

nickyler wrote:
funkengroovin wrote:

They can do both. Bobby is old, but still appeals. BBSmoke and Marcus King were nice additions.
JJ Grey was great. They could sprinkle a few more younger acts in for sure.

We Tried too. Then left. Then got lost trying to find the Disco Party, but I think we were too early. It wasn't great.

Just keep coming. So will we... And them...
and the other ones...

I agree they can appeal to both and hope they do but they need to shift the focus to the 30-50 age range. Especially with regard to headline/late night sets. That is their wheelhouse demographic for the next 10 years or so. Lose us, lose the festival.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:19 pm Profile
 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next