Last visit was: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Don't sleep on the New Orleans suspects. 
Wanee Peach

Post Don't sleep on the New Orleans suspects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToXGRB2vkmI

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:59 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Post Re: Don't sleep on the New Orleans suspects.
Never listened to them until a few days ago and ended up listenening to an entire show.

Its going to be a good time wednesday night!

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:47 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

One of my favorites. Insane resumes these fellas have... per their webpage:

“Mean” Willie Green was the drummer for the Neville Brothers for over thirty years. His unparalleled style has helped shape New Orleans funk, and his drumming has graced recorded tracks by dozens of artists, including The Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and Edie Brickell.

Charlie Wooton was born and raised in Lafayette, Louisiana, where he studied Jazz, Classical, Funk, and Zydeco. An international touring musician and an accomplished studio producer, his resumé includes Chubby Carrier, Royal Southern Brotherhood, Bonerama, Zydefunk, Sonny Landreth, ZABADODAT, and many others.

Jake Eckert was the longtime lead guitarist in the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. Traveling the world, he has performed everywhere from Palace Square in Russia to 2009 Grammy Awards ceremony. He has other talents as well, receiving a Grammy Award in 2011 for recording engineer and producing albums for John Mooney, Cedric Burnside, and New Orleans Suspects, among others.

CR Gruver is a classically trained pianist who immersed himself in New Orleans piano styles after touring with national bands such as Outformation and singer/songwriter Angie Aparo. Adept at James Booker-style piano and the swelling B-3 stylings of Art Neville, Gruver has also become a well-regarded sideman for Leo Nocentelli of The Meters.

Jeff Watkins is an accomplished sax player, engineer and producer. He spent twelve years leading the James Brown Band, including Brown’s induction into the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame. He also worked for six years with Joss Stone as her producer, engineer, and bandleader.

Before all that stuff mentioned above, Jeff was in the late, GREAT funk / soul / R&B / party band The Groove Thangs, who were formed in Ft. Lauderdale. So the Suspects have a FL connection... and that's a good thing!
8-)

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:23 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

I first caught them at Magfest 2012 & absolutely loved them. I actually missed their scheduled show, but caught them during the "late night jam" - it was mostly them, with Paul Barrere & Fred Tackett sitting in for most of the show, and an occasional pop-in from another artist.

I recorded the soundcheck on a little handheld video camera; unfortunately the battery went dead almost immediately after (think I got about 30 seconds of the first actual song), but the soundcheck's kinda fun, relaxed stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzCJtjDUgC4

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:42 am Profile
Wanee Peach

The original bassist for the Suspects is Reggie Scanlin of the Radiators. He was replaced by Charle, but has been playing local shows with the band recently. There is a chance he will be with them at Wanee, but he is not positive he will be making the trip.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:16 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

^^ hoping Reggie can make it. No knock on Charlie, but Reggie is a better fit for the Suspects. So glad he's feeling better and is getting stronger.

Wanee on, beavers! :mrgreen:

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:26 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

Agree with you 100%. They are SO good when Reggie is on bass.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:27 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I saw them with Paul and Fred of little feat. Nothing great but they were competent players. Not on my bands to see at wanee list however

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:42 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

Damn that was a fun show last night. Eric Vogel was on bass. He is a Tulane grad who lives in New Orleans. Is always playing around town with someone. Was with Big Sam's Funky Nation for a few years, and plays with Nigel Hall's band.

It was my first time seeing him play with Vogel on bass and I thought they sounded great.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:37 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Glad I took your advice. Could not get any of my crew to join me (they were having too much fun in camp having all just gotten there) and spent the rest of the weekend telling they missed a good one.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:34 pm Profile
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next