Last visit was: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 pm It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 pm

[ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Big Mike's Mushroom Soup 
Wanee Peach

Post Re: Big Mike's Mushroom Soup
Well at first when I would go out to talk on the mic I had a million things running through my head (did I unmute all my channels / did I unmute all my mixes)-(What the heck am I going to say)-(what is this bands name again?) Throughout my career I have had to speak to the audience and yes I have completely forgotten a bands name while announcing them, I have had bouts of stage fright (P-Funk in DC for the million man march I thought I was going to die, when I looked into the audience all I could see were people everywhere and I mean everywhere (800,000) almost pissed myself) I am only human and I suffer from Perfectionism which is a plague I have battled my whole life. Wanee fans have made me the MC that I am, the Wanee love and that massive feeling of perfect harmony has inspired me and believe it or not I actually love speaking to audiences now. I have no fears, well except for suffering short term memory loss that will never be cured, I have found a feeling of pure happiness when I look at everyone and witness so much love and joy in so many faces, that is truly magic and awe inspiring. I would love to fill the shoes of Wavy Gravy and if I could do it at more festivals / gatherings my heart and soul would be genuinely content. So there you have it a quick explanation of my life as a MC. I love people, I love live music, I love festivals especially in the flavor of Wanee. 8-)

The aim of human life is to know thyself. Think for yourself. Question authority. Think with your friends. Create, create new realities. Philosophy is a team sport. Philosophy is the ultimate, the ultimate aphrodisiac pleasure. Learning how to operate your brain, learning how to operate your mind, learning how to redesign chaos.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:38 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

And we love it when Big Mike comes out.....you can feel the anticipation growing.....
And we love you Big Mike...

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:29 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Mike,

Two questions for you, if you have the time.

Could you give us your perspective about how the fest has grown? My first Wanee was the second and I remember walking straight down in front for a 7PM NMAS set at the Shroom stage without any traffic (they were up against Mule at the Peach). Today, I doubt that would happen.

One of my biggest tips for first time Wanee attendees, is do not miss the early sets at the Shroom stage. I have seen some of the best, most surprising sets at 11AM when half the crowd is still sleeping the previous night off. Has the been a band(s) that really caught you by surprise playing one of those opening sets? Rose Hill Drive & The Soul Rebels are two that still make me smile when I think about them.

Thanks & can't wait to Wanee.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:51 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

PGator wrote:

One of my biggest tips for first time Wanee attendees, is do not miss the early sets at the Shroom stage. I have seen some of the best, most surprising sets at 11AM when half the crowd is still sleeping the previous night off.

YES!!!! Agreed!! I've said for many, many years (well, like, four...) that magical things happen on the mushroom stage at 11am. I can not stress this enough. :shock: PGator...you may be my soulmate.

Okay...back to your regularly scheduled program....

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

frenchiejess wrote:
PGator wrote:

One of my biggest tips for first time Wanee attendees, is do not miss the early sets at the Shroom stage. I have seen some of the best, most surprising sets at 11AM when half the crowd is still sleeping the previous night off.

YES!!!! Agreed!! I've said for many, many years (well, like, four...) that magical things happen on the mushroom stage at 11am. I can not stress this enough. :shock:

Thirdeded!!
:D

Kind of a feat, when I was motel-ing it in Lake City, but I managed it several times. Should be easier, now that I'm campering.
:P

Crikey, I'm way behinder on Wanee Wreadiness. :shock: :?

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:51 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

frenchiejess wrote:
PGator wrote:

YES!!!! Agreed!! I've said for many, many years (well, like, four...) that magical things happen on the mushroom stage at 11am. I can not stress this enough. :shock: PGator...you may be my soulmate.

Okay, but when am I supposed to sleep?

Tee that softball up

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:38 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

nickyler wrote:
frenchiejess wrote:
PGator wrote:

Okay, but when am I supposed to

Tee that softball up

I'll hear the 11 o'clock sets just fine from my camp

Oh Gator country

A little bit of that chomp chomp

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:44 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Thank you Big Mike! You make everyone comfortable and always give us a little information about the band that's playing. For those of us who aren't good at band facts it adds to our understanding and enjoyment of what we're listening to.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:39 am Profile
Wanee Peach

Could you give us your perspective about how the fest has grown?
Sure

My perspective on Wanee Festival growth:

As I have previously stated in this thread, I have been lucky to have been involved in every Wanee. My perspective is kind of limited because my duties have been primarily on The Mushroom Stage. Exact numbers and ticket sales info are on the opposite side of the spectrum from which I am involved so don't hold me to any stated specifics I am only speculating. As with any festival Wanee started out with a moderate attendance and has grown steadily thought the years peaking the year Further was added to the line-up (18,000+/-). I will have to add on festival growth, Wanee Music Festival is the festival that put Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park on the Radar Nationally. As the Wanee Music Festival gained momentum other Promoters jumped on the band wagon and added other festivals thought the years adding an even larger more diverse fan base for the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park. I would say the 2008 Wanee Music Festival was a pivotal year of growth and the first Special Saturday midnight set with Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Soul Stew Revival (What a set to remember and my #3 set all time on The Amphitheater Stage - Multi Festival). As far as the "Morning Bands" go yes many people have missed some great sets from the opening bands playing on The Mushroom Stage. April 11,2014 - 11-11:30 a.m Galadrielle Allman, was the greatest moment on The Mushroom Stage. Galadrielle Allman, Bert Holman (ABB Manager), Alan Paul, were set up to discuss her book (Please Be with Me: A Song for My Father, Duane Allman) shortly after the discussion started Butch Trucks showed up and we scrambled to get him up on stage to join in, I take a look and here comes Gregg walking from behind the stage I sneak him into side stage and he is listing in for a few minutes and he says "Big Mike grab me a microphone", so I get Gregg set up and in on the conversation (there was not a dry eye in the 100 or so people we had out front I might add) Gregg says “the rumors are not true. This is not the end of the Allman Brothers Band” and some great conversation/stories Gregg was talking about his brother Duane, those 100 people got got it from the man himself. So this is the most heartfelt moment ever on The Mushroom Stage and to Only about 100 people or so witnessed this Magic. After they got wrapped up on stage Gregg had some sort of golf cart accident and injured his left wrist backstage of The Mushroom Stage, talking about a crazy roller coaster ride I got that morning. Butch Trucks always showed up in the morning and gave his son Valor and The Yeti Trio support Last year Butch went out front of the stage and watched the band play with about 200 people in the audience standing around him, this was a very special moment. I am really going to have a hard time this year without Butch messing with me in the morning and will miss him as The Yeti Trio takes the stage to start the day off. I will have an empty chair set on the side of The Mushroom Stage in Remembrance of Brother Butch. Rose Hill Drive and "Fairies Wear Boots Black Sabbath cover" to start the morning off, They blew me away and once again very few in attendance.

So do yourself a favor this year and make it a point to catch at least 1 morning at The Mushroom Stage it is totally worth it.

The aim of human life is to know thyself. Think for yourself. Question authority. Think with your friends. Create, create new realities. Philosophy is a team sport. Philosophy is the ultimate, the ultimate aphrodisiac pleasure. Learning how to operate your brain, learning how to operate your mind, learning how to redesign chaos.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:49 am Profile
Wanee Peach

Thanks I try, I want everyone to have a great time at The Mushroom Stage. I never really know what I am gonna say it just happens lol sometimes I get lucky but all the time it is about you all out front. I am speaking for the entire Mushroom Stage Crew here, There is a lot of love for you all from our team to you.

Thanks for the kind words, We will see you soon Wanee 2017!

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:59 am Profile
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next