Last visit was: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:13 pm It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:13 pm

[ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Phish Baker's Dozen - MSG Residency 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Phish Baker's Dozen - MSG Residency
i saw seven walker once on the mushroom stage for an old magfest. it was the same one Moe played late night in the freeze. :)

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:21 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Mango -- not sure I agree with what you're saying about Phil... he does quite a bit of gigging and sitting in at Terrapin Crossroads. Billy can still get it on the drums; I don't see how guys with forty plus years working together, can't do what they always did. I'm not hearing what you are, I guess...

BTW and FWIW, Phil was not involved with Further. That was a Bobby & Phil thing.

OTOH, Bobby is definitely on the downward side of his abilities. For those moments when Dead&Co tears it up, it's because the band is dragging Bobby along. If Bobby had complete control, everything would be played S L O W ... he's a legend, agreed; but it ain't 1989 anymore.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:58 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

beach bob wrote:
Mango -- not sure I agree with what you're saying about Phil... he does quite a bit of gigging and sitting in at Terrapin Crossroads. Billy can still get it on the drums; I don't see how guys with forty plus years working together, can't do what they always did. I'm not hearing what you are, I guess...

BTW and FWIW, Phil was not involved with Further. That was a Bobby & Phil thing.

OTOH, Bobby is definitely on the downward side of his abilities. For those moments when Dead&Co tears it up, it's because the band is dragging Bobby along. If Bobby had complete control, everything would be played S L O W ... he's a legend, agreed; but it ain't 1989 anymore.

Perhaps I articulated that poorly. I know Bill/Mickey weren't in Furthur, what I was saying was that after seeing the percussionists' side projects from around that time, my thought was that maybe Phil/Bobby didn't invite Bill/Micky due to their declining abilities (thus they went out and got the beast Russo). But that was speculation.

But Dead and Co certainly aligns with that thought. I can't really get into them because everything they play is too slow. I was listening to a version of The Wheel the other day by Dead and Co, the beginning was played beautifully and soulfully but then the part where its supposed to pick up was just flat and slow and blah. And The Wheel isn't even a high energy/fast song! Theres just no tempo changes with Dead and Co, which is unfortunate because the Grateful Dead were masters of internsong tempo changes. Perhaps that is solely Bobby driven, but I think the rhythm section should be at least partially be to blame and we know its not Oteil because that dude can still lay it down.

Now playing Devil's Advocate with myself, I will say that I saw Billy and the Kids a few years back and loved it, so maybe its not a Billy problem.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:11 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Now playing Devil's Advocate with myself, I will say that I saw Billy and the Kids a few years back and loved it, so maybe its not a Billy problem.
Mickey? His last side project left something to be desired... and I don't ever see him using sticks anymore! Maybe it's those damn brushes fault! 8-)

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:19 am Profile
Wanee Lover

ArmeDane wrote:
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Mickey? His last side project left something to be desired... and I don't ever see him using sticks anymore! Maybe it's those damn brushes fault! 8-)

Or that gigantic ship horn hand winding thing he sometimes uses to make noise during drums.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:38 am Profile
 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8