Last visit was: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 pm It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 pm

[ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Phish Baker's Dozen - MSG Residency 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Phish Baker's Dozen - MSG Residency
ArmeDane wrote:
Back in 2000, The Other Ones played SOSMP... while Hornsby was with them, Phil was not. I don't remember who sat in on bass though. The memory banks are somewhat foggy. 8-)

Wasn’t this a stand alone show (ie not a festival)? It seems like they used to do those.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

It was billed as a "Furthur Festival", but it was just them and Ziggy Marley.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:19 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Rivernole wrote:
I don't know why Bill could not wait around for a whole year to play with them....do you?

I generally do not pay attention to Grateful Dead interpersonal BS and gossip... but I do know that Bill does not get along with Phil. You rarely see those two working in the same band, post-Jerry.

So, there's your answer. :mrgreen:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:32 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

ArmeDane wrote:
Back in 2000, The Other Ones played SOSMP... while Hornsby was with them, Phil was not. I don't remember who sat in on bass though. The memory banks are somewhat foggy. 8-)

Wiki sez that Phil was in and out at various points of The Other Ones. Alphonso Johnson is listed as the other Other Ones bassist.
:)

Last edited by beach bob on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:36 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I could have sworn that Seven Walkers was at Wanee 2012, but I fact checked and it turns out they were at Wanee 2011.

(Side note I remember walking to their show, watching about ten min and being like, Nah, not for me).

Seven Walkers were boring. I tried... but I think Papa Mali was just the wrong guy to lead that outfit.

Which is pretty weird, cuz just before that era, there was the BK3, the Bill Kreutzmann Trio, with Scott Murawski on guitar, and our man Oteil on bass. THAT band, was the precursor to the JRAD rocket fuel Dead tribute band. Bill went from fifth gear with his BK3, to a second gear stay-in-your-lane snoozefest with Seven Walkers.

There I said it :P

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:41 am Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

I, too, thought Seven Walkers played '12......but I lloked it up and it shows 2011.
They played the midnight show....I walked over at the end of the Allman Brothers show...
7 Walkers waited a few minutes, then started their show.......... All of a sudden ABB kicked in with another encore, it seems....and the Walkers were drowned out with the wound from the Peach. So they stopped and waited until ABB finished....came back out and played.
Sorry bbob ....I enjoyed the show....It was slow...with good music. Just not your typical late show. They would have been better playing at 5-7 instead of the midnight show.
BTW....I thought the ABB 2011 was their best performance I have heard at SOSMP.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:18 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Rivernole wrote:
I, too, thought Seven Walkers played '12......but I lloked it up and it shows 2011.
They played the midnight show....I walked over at the end of the Allman Brothers show...
7 Walkers waited a few minutes, then started their show.......... All of a sudden ABB kicked in with another encore, it seems....and the Walkers were drowned out with the wound from the Peach. So they stopped and waited until ABB finished....came back out and played.
Sorry bbob ....I enjoyed the show....It was slow...with good music. Just not your typical late show. They would have been better playing at 5-7 instead of the midnight show.

Correct me if I am wrong (like I needed to say that), but Is it just me or were late night sets not as big of a deal then? I know "then" is less than a decade ago, but I only really got big into festivals around 2006 or so. It seems to me like nobody really gave too much thought as to who the late night acts were. We were just glad they didn't quit making noise yet. Now it seems like there's a ton of thought and effort as to who gets that slot which leads to a lot of complaints about who plays late.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 am Profile
Wanee Lover

nickyler wrote:
Rivernole wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong (like I needed to say that), but Is it just me or were late night sets not as big of a deal then? I know "then" is less than a decade ago, but I only really got big into festivals around 2006 or so. It seems to me like nobody really gave too much thought as to who the late night acts were. We were just glad they didn't quit making noise yet. Now it seems like there's a ton of thought and effort as to who gets that slot which leads to a lot of complaints about who plays late.

I don't think thats accurate. As s#%tty as Bonnaroo is now, its almost inarguably the festival that brought North American musical festivals back to prominence, and the late night sets were coveted sets in which the performing acts went all out to show their gratitude for being selected. I'm talking those 2000's epic late night shows of moe. and Umphreys and others. Playing longer than scheduled, band switches, guests like crazy, etc. I can't find the photo online, but I could have sworn I saw an official schedule from an early Roo (maybe even the first one in 2002) which had moe. slated for a 4 hour set from midnight til 4am. Even if that memory isn't entirely accurate, my overall sentiment is true. I think you could even argue that the late night sets were a big part of Roo's success. I know my favorite music set of all time was the epic moe. Sunrise Set at Roo '09 in which they were scheduled to play 1am-4am but played until close to 7am no breaks (they did a Grace Potter band switch instead of a set break). I remember leaving that stage and the sun was up in the sky, not like peaking over the horizon but like full on daylight. Amazing show/time/memories.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:41 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Rivernole wrote:

Did Seven Walkers play another year? I swear I remember seeing them on the Shroom stage during daylight. Maybe it was just daylight in my mind though.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:42 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

beach bob wrote:
Rivernole wrote:
I don't know why Bill could not wait around for a whole year to play with them....do you?

I generally do not pay attention to Grateful Dead interpersonal BS and gossip... but I do know that Bill does not get along with Phil. You rarely see those two working in the same band, post-Jerry.

So, there's your answer. :mrgreen:

I don't know (or really care) about the gossip, but my ears tell me that the drummers can't really hang with Phil anymore. I had that assumption during the late Furthur years (i.e. Billy/Micky not being part of Furthur because they couldn't hang), then my ears confirmed that during GD50. Phil can still lay it down, but the rest of the rhythm section didn't seem to be holding up. I mean the dudes in his late 70's, he doesn't have that many high quality shows left in him, it makes sense that he would want to play with musicians which don't slow him down.

Unfortunately the same appears to be true for Bobby now. Not trying to be a hater, the guys a legend. But its just not there anymore. I was watching the Phil.moe LockN set last night, and Phil with Rob-less moe. were just killing it on runs like Silver Sun->The Other Ones->Silver Sun, and Four->Bird Song->Four. Then they bring out Bobby and he ruins the last 30 min putzing around on the guitar, flubbing lyrics, and interjecting some half assed repetitive "vocal jams".

Anyways, maybe there's a beef between Phil and Billy or Mickey, or maybe he just doesn't want to waste what is likely his precious last few years of performing at a high level.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:52 pm Profile
 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next