Last visit was: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:33 am It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:33 am

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Primitive camping with a large RV 
Wanee Gnome

Post Primitive camping with a large RV
We're full-time RVers and would like to come to the festival, but have a few questions.

Our RV/home is on the large side. It's a 41' 5th wheel with a large 1-ton truck. I just called teh campground and see they're all full, but we have no problem camping without hookups. I'm always concerned about festival 'primitive' camping, though, in our RV. Usually it's just a large field. Our rig is big enough that if the field is un-level we risk having our jacks bottom out as we drive across. So, how level is the primitive camping area? Also, if there is rain, how muddy do things get? Lastly, are large RVs generally frowned upon?

Thanks in advance!
-Ken

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:38 am Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

Post Re: Primitive camping with a large RV
There are places designated for rv's that are primitive and/or generator run.....There are trucks that will pump out your waste that will come to your site...and also provide you with water....
The area is level....don't think it is muddy....though I have never used.....but in years past we have had lots of rain....and I've never heard of any problems.
And last ......there are thousands of rv's parked there.
If you prefer water and electric.....keep an eye on the forum for people that have to forego the festival for one reason or the other....and thus they sell their sites......for their costs. Be careful...and enjoy the festival!
And welcome to Wanee

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:55 pm Profile
ϟϟ Wanee Demi-Goddess ϟϟ

You just got the lowdown from one of our finest! Welcome. I don't think anyone will frown upon your RV, there are some major beauties that return every year.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Get there early. There will be room somewhere, and there will be level ground way out in sections E, and F. They won't fill up, but they are a hike. If you get there Tuesday you should get a good spot. If you wait until Wednesday afternoon or later you will have to fight a crowd just to find a spot. You may still find a decent spot by the bat house if you get there early enough, but even looking for a spot is going to be difficult past Wednesday Morning

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:10 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Thanks, folks! I think we'll plan to get there as early as possible (Monday?) such that we're not fighting crowds with our rig and we can nab a nice spot. Looks we're in for a great time, can't wait!!

-Ken

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:17 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Awesome, Ken! I hope you have a blast. Come Monday... It'll be alright.

Just remember to be cool. What was part of your "spot" on Monday may have a few extra folks in it by Friday afternoon.

Wanee!!

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:54 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Welcome, Ken. You just got the reliable lowdown.
Not to be confused with the "alternative lowdown" ;)

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:17 am Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

Welcome Ken.....
You will be among thousands of friends and music lovers......

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:54 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Thanks all, and a fair reminder Nickyler. We'll be sure not to 'spread out' too much. One last question. We'll have our 4yo son with us. It seems like the fest is fairly kid friendly, but what's the reality of it? Not too worried about daytime, but after dark do things tend to get out of hand? Is there a 'kids zone' within sight of the stages?

Tickets are purchased, April can't get here soon enough!

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:13 am Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

Kid friendly??? Kinda...sorta....
There are many kids there....and I have never heard of any major problems.....I would stay aware of my surroundings......There might be a little smoking...a little chocolate floating around...a little too much drinking for some. But if you are AWARE....there should not be any problems. Some areas are better than others.....It will be loud at night...especially the first couple...as some people think this is a sprint and not a marathon. There is a playground out by the horse stable and maybe one on the loop. I am not sure of this one. Don't let them stray off....it is hard enough for somewhat sane adults to find their way back to camps....and as many as will be there.....young children will definitely have a hard time getting back.
Make sure they know your phone number! There are many that will help with a "misplaced" child.
This is not the most kid friendly festival at the park....but I think with proper supervision they will be fine.
There is no kid zone within view of the stage that I know of......they usually have a Ferris Wheel.....but really....how many times can one ride a FW?
Take a blanket and some snacks and toys for the kids to entertain themselves in the music areas. You will always be able to find an area to spread out your blankets and stuff for them to do. It will be loud......so you don't really have to worry about getting too close to the stages.....think of the children first.
Planning goes a long way.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:07 am Profile
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next