Last visit was: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:23 pm It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:23 pm

[ 8 posts ] 
 Need workers or volunteers? 
Wanee Gnome

Post Need workers or volunteers?
Does the festival/vendors need any workers or volunteers?
BA English, 10 years food/beverage/bartending experience,
thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:23 am Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

Post Re: Need workers or volunteers?
They DO use volunteer workers....something like 15 hours of work...and you get a free ticket....something like that...
contact the office for more details.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:29 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Rivernole wrote:
They DO use volunteer workers....something like 15 hours of work...and you get a free ticket....something like that...

is there an email or phone number for the Wanee office? all i see is the LiveNation rep phone #

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:41 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

CS5797 wrote:
Rivernole wrote:

is there an email or phone number for the Wanee office? all i see is the LiveNation rep phone #

(386)364-1683
http://musicliveshere.com

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:11 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

I believe they also require that you put up a deposit that's equal to the amount of a ticket, which leads me to believe that somewhere along the line someone got in on a volunteer pass & then no-showed when it was time for the work end of the deal.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:18 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

All so true...a buddy went to Springfest....and actually wanted to work and help out....he had to pay for his ticket.
When he got there....he decided it was too much fun to work....so he passed on the work.
Fool...just wanted to help out.....iffen you can believe that.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:29 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

i can see paying a $100 "volunteer deposit" which would be returned after completing the 15 hours but damn the full 250?

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:21 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

SeaPA wrote:
I believe they also require that you put up a deposit that's equal to the amount of a ticket, which leads me to believe that somewhere along the line someone got in on a volunteer pass & then no-showed when it was time for the work end of the deal.

Yes, this... multiple times, at many festies.

There was a time my clan was looking into volunteering for fests to defray costs for far away events. I have read the fine print on several fest volunteer websites. Most of them now do this 'deposit your ticket fee, get it credited back to you after complete your shifts' sort of thing.

It seems sucky at first, but let's face it: a very small percentage of people do not imbibe during a festival, whether working or not. And a certain percentage of people, well intentioned or not, will promise to themselves (and more importantly, promise to others in responsible charge of this or that essential function), that they will be good and show up sober for their shift. Not 'reasonably sober'... not 'I'm okay, really'. Show up sober. Ready to work. Yaknow, like you do (generally!) for your day job.

But to make it happen, the event producers and the vendors need people, dozens and dozens of eager bodies, ready to work. This deposit approach saves the producers the double whammy of 1) losing a needed body cuz someone got pulled into the vortex of festival fun, and 2) losing an admit for services not rendered. Some (I would be one) call that stealing.

So: I can see how things got to where they are now.

To the OP: if you are serious about volunteering as a way to get to more fests than you might otherwise be able to, you might want to consider networking in with a fest food vendor. If you're good, they like to use people they know have worked well in the past. Worth considering. I have a friend who volunteered for years with a food vendor, it's a pretty good way to go for the hard worker that doesn't have much $$ for fest tix. Good luck, and fercryinoutloud, have fun! :D :D :D

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:47 am Profile
 [ 8 posts ]