Last visit was: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:12 pm It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:12 pm

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 ROCKETS!! ROCKETS I tell ya, ROCKETS!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!! 
Wanee Wizard

Post Re: ROCKETS!! ROCKETS I tell ya, ROCKETS!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!
That was an Atlas 5 (pretty sure...) which does not have passenger capability. *

Virgin Galactic will (someday) allow for space travel for the bargain price of ~$250K.

A company called Space Adventures is selling a trip that features a slingshot ride around the moon and a return to Earth aboard a modified Russian Soyuz spacecraft, piloted by a professional Russian cosmonaut.

Tickets to ride cost $150 million apiece which, in comparison to NASA’s multibillion-dollar Apollo moon program and the cost of flying in space in general, “is actually very affordable,” Space Adventures president Tom Shelley told the National Space Club Florida Committee during luncheon panel on space tourism.

Just want to hang at the ISS? The 10-day trips to the space station currently cost about $52 million.

* Currently! (News to me here-) From 2006 through at least 2014 ULA made proposals and did some amount of design work for a human-rated version of the Atlas V. Atlas V was selected by NASA in late 2014, in conjunction with the Boeing CST-100 space capsule, to be used for human flight as early as 2017.

Sources -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_V
http://news.discovery.com/space/private ... 140613.htm

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:35 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Interesting article. (to me and Volke). :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.theonion.com/article/parallel-world-leaders-meet-washington-interdimens-52291

Joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:46 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Volkemon wrote:
That was an Atlas 5 (pretty sure...) which does not have passenger capability. *

Virgin Galactic will (someday) allow for space travel for the bargain price of ~$250K.

A company called Space Adventures is selling a trip that features a slingshot ride around the moon and a return to Earth aboard a modified Russian Soyuz spacecraft, piloted by a professional Russian cosmonaut.

Tickets to ride cost $150 million apiece which, in comparison to NASA’s multibillion-dollar Apollo moon program and the cost of flying in space in general, “is actually very affordable,” Space Adventures president Tom Shelley told the National Space Club Florida Committee during luncheon panel on space tourism.

Just want to hang at the ISS? The 10-day trips to the space station currently cost about $52 million.

* Currently! (News to me here-) From 2006 through at least 2014 ULA made proposals and did some amount of design work for a human-rated version of the Atlas V. Atlas V was selected by NASA in late 2014, in conjunction with the Boeing CST-100 space capsule, to be used for human flight as early as 2017.

Sources -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_V
http://news.discovery.com/space/private ... 140613.htm

It was an Atlas V. They are modifying Launch Complex 41 as we speak for human space flight. The rocket itself doesn't need much modification. You would just replace the cargo payload with a capsule suited for humans, such as the CST-100, and fit it for a heavier payload. The Pad has to be refitted so that astronauts can climb in towards the end of the countdown, or climb back out if the launch were scrubbed. Basically a glorified Staircase to the top of the rocket. It doesn't matter if satellites, or groceries sit at the launch pad for 3 days.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:41 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Nickyler, are you a rocket boy? :)

Joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:00 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

No, but I work amongst them.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:29 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

I had not considered the ground infrastructure needed. :) Thanks!

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:14 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Big one going up today. Might go boom.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 pm Profile
ϟ ϟ Wanee Demi-God ϟ ϟ

One of my camping buddies at Mag....ooops....Roots Revival....is a rocket scientist down at whatever they call that space center now..... :lol: :lol:

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:25 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Live Stream of the launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

j
Howieeddings wrote:
    Thanks, that was fantastic to see on YouTube but, since the earth is flat I saw it from my house?!

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 pm Profile
 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next