Last visit was: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:40 am It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:40 am

[ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 This years wanee lineup=MONSTER SIZED (.)(.)S 
Wanee Gnome

Post Re: This years wanee lineup=MONSTER SIZED (.)(.)S
I would never miss a Wanee but this year's lineup announcement is a little underwhelming. The quality is unquestioned. These are some great bands but not many surprises. I agree that it feels like 2011's lineup minus some of the real treats like Robert Plant (who was amazing). And the fact that Dumpstaphunk is absent is a bummer. Their midnight show on Wednesday at Wanee 2011 was a high point for me. If they could have added one more big name (like the Black Crowes) and some up and comers like Alabama Shakes, Trombone Shorty, Gary Clark Jr, etc it could have been the best yet. It will be an amazing week, no doubt. This festival is about much more than the music. I just wish they would make each year a "new" festival and not just this year's version of last year's festival, if that makes sense. That being said, I can't wait until April!!!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

i love the line up.maybe we'll get longer sets with less overlap to really feature the great talent at wanee this year.All i know i can't wait to testify with the lee boys,jump with franti,and maybe we'll get randolph--roosevelt sit in.There is plenty of great music,great friends,and the best venue in the world.I got wanee fever. wannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:36 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Shark Daddy wrote:
I would never miss a Wanee but this year's lineup announcement is a little underwhelming. The quality is unquestioned. These are some great bands but not many surprises. I agree that it feels like 2011's lineup minus some of the real treats like Robert Plant (who was amazing). And the fact that Dumpstaphunk is absent is a bummer. Their midnight show on Wednesday at Wanee 2011 was a high point for me. If they could have added one more big name (like the Black Crowes) and some up and comers like Alabama Shakes, Trombone Shorty, Gary Clark Jr, etc it could have been the best yet. It will be an amazing week, no doubt. This festival is about much more than the music. I just wish they would make each year a "new" festival and not just this year's version of last year's festival, if that makes sense. That being said, I can't wait until April!!!

I totally agree. Cannot wait but I love WSP, some of my friends who usually go will not because if you are not into spread the lineup leaves a lot to be desired. Wakarusa is over the top this year I just wish it was not so far from Orlando.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:01 pm Profile
Wanee Master

tripnout420 wrote:
i love the line up.maybe we'll get longer sets with less overlap to really feature the great talent at wanee this year.All i know i can't wait to testify with the lee boys,jump with franti,and maybe we'll get randolph--roosevelt sit in.There is plenty of great music,great friends,and the best venue in the world.I got wanee fever. wannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

YEA, What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :!: 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Master

Dartdog82 wrote:
tripnout420 wrote:

YEA, What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :!: 8-)

Amen

ImageImageImage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 pm Profile
Wanee Master

This could be just ABB, Mule, TTB and I would be there People you need to remember This started as an ABB festy will alway be an ABB festy, if you don't like the line-up don't come more room for us true BOS/SOS my 2 cents :o 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Mushroom

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
Agree to disagree, and I respect that.

1) Its funny that you were planning on skipping but the lineup came out and you changed your mind. What was the surprise to you, or what on the lineup made you change your mind?

Maybe they were lineup rumors that I didn't know about, actually haven't been on the board since last years fest... but, in order, Franti, Greyboy, Maceo (One of my all time favorites... lost a step as headliner with age- no more 15 round funkfests- but fest set should be perfect), Tower of Power (I love me some horny funkin sax!!!), RR, Les Claypool. Add that to the standard ABB/Mule/TTB, pure gold!

2) I totally agree that Mule would be a homerun late night, the problem is if the past is any predictor of the future (at least the recent past) than its almost certainly going to be midday Mule and midday TTB right before Panic Fri and Sat. And sorry, I dont consider Galactic a homerun late night act, although I realize some people do.

I agree Galactic would not be a homerun latenight... but Greyboy and/or Maceo WOULD!! That said, Panic is filling the slot that Mule/TTB had last year, so I wouldn't at all be surprised by Mule and TTB latenight, or one headline Thurs and the other get a latenight.

3) And again, to each there own. But how could this be the standup lineup of the past 4 years? Its essentailly the same acts as 2011 except minus a ton of great bands.

vs. 2011 I'm curious about seeing Leon Russell; I'll take Mule over Warren Band anyday; Same for Greyboy vs KDTU; I thought Ween was terrible; I thought Robert Plant was meh. See answer to #1. vs '10, '12, see answer to #1. (After making the original statement, I went and looked up the lineups for the other years, just to doublecheck... and I stand by what I said!)

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:40 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Appreciate the open minded ness and ability to hear opposing opinions of your own and maintain respect. Celebrate diversity. Everyone wins in music. Dart dog knows what's up. It's not about competition of lineups. Or purely about selling out the park. It's about who Abb/their fans want. butch plays a part too I believe.

I suppose I treat wanee like my piligrimage to 'abb' Mecca ie. SOSMP every yr
And it always leaving me Satified.

Without ABB or Mule I wouldn't ever have hit one of these.
Everybody who answers is 100 percent right haha.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

What do u think of a crazy claypool/ warren collab on shroom stage? Yeehaw

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:44 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

TheAntelope wrote:
When everyone says its an Allman Brothers festival in terms of Panic being there, what link does Panic have to ABB? Jimmy Herring?

I'm sure there is more info that I do not know of, but here are some things to answer your questions:

-2009 ABB / WSP co-headlined a tour
-Jimmy played in the ABB for a summer tour / 2000 ish' ?
-Jimmy played with Oteil Burbridge in the band Aquarium Rescue Unit years ago
-Played guitar on Derek Trucks Band album in 1998
-Derek Trucks played on Jimmys 2008 album
-Jimmy and Warren H. played together in The Dead for a bit
-Jimmy, Warren, Derek have all played with Phil Lesh and friends at different times

and overall, ABB has always been a big influence on WSP

2010 / 2011 at wanee I know many members of ABB and WSP each sat in with eachothers bands for many tunes. too many to name

anyway, hope this helps. maybe others with chime in with more facts

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:59 am Profile
 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next