Last visit was: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:38 am It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:38 am

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 B E A R C R E E K ! ! ! ! ! 
Wanee Master

Post Re: B E A R C R E E K ! ! ! ! !
gma wrote:
Does anyone have any advice for a couple Wanee fans who will be newbies to Bear Creek?

One piece of advice......Enjoy.

No, actually Brrrrr Creek is fun.....there are less people and the music is great. It is a different sound from Wanee....but it is still to be enjoyed. I have been to Bear and Mag and find they are both more relaxed and laid back than the bigger festies. Bear uses more stages and there may be 3 or 4 stages going at one time. Just make your plans to watch who and where you want. If it is real cold....catch a few acts in the Music Hall to warm up. The acts in there are just plain fun also.
Other than the laid back attitude....plan on treating it just like Wanee.......but carry lots of firewood and blankets.
(oh, and you can carry chairs closer to the front...as there are fewer shakers and movers).
Don't ignore a band just because you have never heard of them....many are wonderful. I "discovered" Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds in the Music Hall and still listen to them on a somewhat regular basis.
And they have food vendors out by the lake and a stage out by the Lake (or they did when I was there) and Cope and several really nice bands played there....with George Porter Jr., PeeWee Ellis and others sitting in with them). There were a lot of people playing with others at Bear.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:37 am Profile
Wanee Master

What Rivernole said --SQUARED!

If there is a *problem* with Bear Creek, it is that there is too much music and too little time, even if you skip sleep and slam 5-Hour energy drinks. I thought last year's line-up was about as good as it could get, but just look at some of the names from the 2013 line-up:

Bernie, Bootsy, Cope, Dopapod, Mike Dillon Band, Galactic, George Porter, Greenhouse Lounge, Dumpstaphunk, Johnny Sketch & the Dirty Notes, Karl Denson's TU, Kung Fu, Lettuce, the Motet, Monophonics, Oteil, Pimps of Joytime, Robert Walter, Roosevelt Collier Band, Skerik, the Legendary JCs, the Malah, New Mastersounds, Toubab Krewe, the Werks and LOTS MORE!

Ridiculous. But pay special attention to what Nole said. Some of the best music you will hear will be from bands you've never heard about before.

Firewood and lots of layers of clothes and blankets and stuff.

It is worth it. This will be my fifth one, and this strikes closer to my musical heart than anything else (although AURA was also a blast).

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:06 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

OKAY!
We're in!!! :D

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:23 pm Profile
Wanee Master

I promise you....
YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:20 am Profile
Wanee Lover

I will be there with my squirrel on!

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:51 pm Profile
Wanee Master

8-)

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:53 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Hmmm Thinkin' about Magfest. Looked at the Lineup. Those are bands I either have never seen or haven't seen in a long time. It's also a little earlier and presumably a little warmer. Ahh Decisions Decisions.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:15 pm Profile
Wanee Master

gma wrote:
Hmmm Thinkin' about Magfest.

Same advise as above. Mag is definitely fun....just as BrrrCreek it is smaller and more intimate. More relaxed....you can get up closer to the stage.....and often you can see the band members walking around talking to campers. A hell of a lot of fun.
Band members interchange with other bands and it is a treat.
And probably not quite as cold as Bear.....although the potential for cold is still there.
And Waneetopia will be open......just saying.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:04 am Profile
Wanee Master

BUMP

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

gma wrote:
Hmmm Thinkin' about Magfest. Looked at the Lineup. Those are bands I either have never seen or haven't seen in a long time. It's also a little earlier and presumably a little warmer.

GMA, it *rarely* gets cold cold at MagFest. Many times, it's been downright muggy. Come prepared, but being those couple weeks ahead of Barr Crick do make a difference.

I'm calling this year's MagFest: Octogenarians That Rock... Willie is 80 ... can Prine and Kristofferson be far behind? :D

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:08 am Profile
 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next