Last visit was: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:07 pm It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:07 pm

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Any Vermont Waneeans out there? 
Wanee Lover

Post Any Vermont Waneeans out there?
leaving soon looking for tour tips

There are things that music can do that language could never do, that painting can never do, or sculpture. Music is capable of going directly to the source of the mystery. It doesn't have to explain it. It can simply celebrate it.(and make you dance your azzoff!)

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:54 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Any Vermont Waneeans out there?
Great place to visit. I know, I grew up there. :lol:

Where in VT you going, and for how long?

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:33 am Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

Going for a week, Starksville Fri-Sat for a wedding, the rest is a road trip!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Hugh, make sure you go swimming in some VT swimming holes. It's mostly locals hanging out. Really really beautiful, a ton of fun and a wee bit chilly. The following link is just a place to start.

http://www.swimmingholes.org/vt.html

We camped in state parks the whole time we were there and it was great. We really liked Little River State Park in Waterbury, Gifford Woods State Park in Killington and Branbury State Park in Salisbury. Smugglers Notch State Park is pretty cool too but we didn't camp there.

http://www.vtstateparks.com/

Burlington is pretty chill and the sunset over Lake Champlain from the park is gorgeous.

Just about every little town has some kind of museum or old ass building of some sort that they like to show off. It was cool to just randomly stop and make a little donation and let a local tell us about the history of the place. Nice break in the day. The drive up 100 is as pretty a drive as you'll see.

Forgive me for not knowing/remembering but are you a beer drinking man? If so you are in luck. Find some Hill Farmstead beers on tap somewhere. Bring your friends (assuming you have a friend) some Alchemist Heady Topper IPA. They will love you for life. If you don't have a friend, I will be your friend (if you bring me some Heady Topper). Long Trail Brewing in Bridgewater (down 4 from Killington) is a great spot for some lunch and a cold drink on a river. We also hit Sugarbush Farm down 4 from Long Trail for some cheese and maple syrup. Check out the pole in the back that shows snow levels for the year.

http://www.sugarbushfarm.com/

Probably too early to go berry picking but check it out. We chowed on a couple of pints of raspberries in camp for days. Amazing all the varieties and how distinct they were. Rafting or tubing is much fun also. It can be as big or as serene as you like.

There are cool little restaurants everywhere but we were mostly budget eating at camp.

Hope this helps. You will have a blast.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:55 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Thanks for the links brother. I'm there! Whoot!

There are things that music can do that language could never do, that painting can never do, or sculpture. Music is capable of going directly to the source of the mystery. It doesn't have to explain it. It can simply celebrate it.(and make you dance your azzoff!)

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:02 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Glad MccJeff knew where Starksville VT is... even google maps is clueless.

Starksboro maybe? Thats up by the area I know... stop by the Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Factory. ( From Starksboro take 116south, 17 east and 100 to the factory) Then take rt 100 to Stowe. Scenic beauty and the Trapp Family Lodge. (Yes, The Sound of Music folks) Then take rt 108 north to the Mt Mansfield toll road to the summit, and get as high as you can in Vermont. From here you can look down on the valley I grew up in, on the Cambridge side.
Continue on Rt 108 north, and you go through Smugglers' notch. Its a pretty cool 'notch' in the mountains that Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys used to smuggle goods from Canada to the troops in NY. As you go down the north side of the notch, Smugglers' notch ski area is right there. Across from the main entrance to Smuggs is Stella Notte (http://www.stellanotte.com/) with food to savor, and views to match. Some FINE dining.
When you finish there, follow Rt 108 into the town of Jeffersonville.(you pass my Mom's old house!) now *right* when you get into the main town, you will see the liquor store. next to that is Hanleys, with smoked VT cheddar, bacon and pepperoni that is NOT to be missed. I warn you, once you try their cheddar all other smoked cheddar will pale in comparison. I drool as I type this. :)
Leaving Jeffersonville, get on to rt15 to Cambridge. about 3 miles. Going through cambridge, you will see where rt15 goes up a hill, and 104 goes straight. Right there is the Boyden Farm ( http://www.boydenvalley.com/ or http://www.vermontguides.com/2009/11-nov/boyden.html ) the food for sale there is great, and the blueberry wine is fantastic. Not syrupy and sweet, it is a fine dessert wine. It may not be out, so PM me if you are headed there and i will give you my name to 'drop' for a bottle. I used to play in the barns that now make up the banquet hall and winery.

Now if you have managed to to all this in the day, take rt 15 back to Essex, hit 2a and I89, and get to the Burlington Waterfront for the sunset Jeff mentioned. They took the railroad yards we used to party in and made it a BEAUTIFUL park. Battery Park is right by there, and up on a hill. Better view IMO. (Used to be the 'Battery of guns' protecting the Burlington Harbor there) Lots of fine dining in Btown also, I would recommend Carburs, but it appears they are gone. VT Pub and Brewery rocks also, and happens to be across the street from where Ben and Jerry's started. (The gas station is LONG gone)

Now if you are NOT in Starksboro, this trip may not apply. Brought back some memories for me, however. :)

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 am Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

Nope, The Starksville thru me off and I didn't see it till after I posted. I would imagine Starksboro is correct. Smugglers Notch is really cool. That sounds like a fine little road trip you described. And for sure hit Ben & Jerry's. But if you are there then stop in Blackback Pub in Waterbury. And The Alchemist is right by B&Js too for some Heady Topper. Just saying.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Frenchie Jess is from Vermont, I believe she is just returning from a wedding. If she'd come over here, I'm sure she could give you some good tips too.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:11 pm Profile
Wanee Master

I hope Starkville VT is better than Starkville MS. ;)

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:14 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Jensen B Gator wrote:
I hope Starkville VT is better than Starkville MS. ;)

Starksboro it is! Thank god it's not Stark, FL!

Thanks errbody for the tips. Loves me some beer and ice cream!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:17 pm Profile
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next