Last visit was: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 am It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 am

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Help with fire prevention at the SOSMP 
Wanee Pro

Post Re: Help with fire prevention at the SOSMP
Spyderstan wrote:
Rivernole wrote:
I've always hated those fire lanterns. Sure they look pretty going up....you just never know where those suckers might come down and what damage may be the result.

Their key to success is at the time of launch. Do not launch in windy conditions. And use auxiliary heat source to get a straight up and above the tree line in a hurry launch.
I've seen them when they float down, out of fuel. Other than litter, they are harmless.
That said, I won't bring any to Wanee. Conditions will most likely not be ideal middle of April.

Thanks mr wizard now I can break the rules safely. This is a thoughtless post where you can try and show that you know better than the authorities! :evil:

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Are fire lanterns the equivalent of Tiki Torches?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:31 am Profile
Wanee Pro

maestro63 wrote:
Spyderstan wrote:
Rivernole wrote:
I've always hated those fire lanterns. Sure they look pretty going up....you just never know where those suckers might come down and what damage may be the result.

Their key to success is at the time of launch. Do not launch in windy conditions. And use auxiliary heat source to get a straight up and above the tree line in a hurry launch.
I've seen them when they float down, out of fuel. Other than litter, they are harmless.
That said, I won't bring any to Wanee. Conditions will most likely not be ideal middle of April.

Thanks mr wizard now I can break the rules safely. This is a thoughtless post where you can try and show that you know better than the authorities! :evil:

fireworks bad mmmkay, don't do fireworks mmmkay, Chinese lanterns are bad mmmkay, don't do Chinese lanterns mmkay.

I was never much for people setting fireworks off in a crowd...... scares the s#%t out of me of what could happen.... At least Spyderstan sounds like he knows what he's doing :D

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

aamato34 wrote:
Are fire lanterns the equivalent of Tiki Torches?

Worse. A tiki torch that flies unpredictably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUaiBfD8B84

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:39 am Profile
Wanee Lover

aamato...Welcome to the forum. The lanterns are chinese paper lanterns, not tiki torches. Google 'em. They are kinda cool...but not in the forest.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

So Tiki Torches are allowed?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Probably not recommended this year, albeit not banned.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:48 am Profile
Wanee Pro

yes, goodness be careful with your flames. I live in GA & we have fire bans for about half the year- I can only imagine how dry the underbrush in FL can be.
Only time I've ever launched a lantern was on the beach- it was all planned by a friend & the light up-current wind took them further out to sea. I really don't see why people would think lighting fire around woods & letting it go is a good idea. :?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Pro

lilgamoma wrote:
yes, goodness be careful with your flames. I live in GA & we have fire bans for about half the year- I can only imagine how dry the underbrush in FL can be.
Only time I've ever launched a lantern was on the beach- it was all planned by a friend & the light up-current wind took them further out to sea. I really don't see why people would think lighting fire around woods & letting it go is a good idea. :?

These are usually the same people that think throwing glow sticks by the thousands is a good idea.

Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:21 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Won't do it but... All Good 2010 WSP set break was insane. Like a thousand of them went up. One of the craziest looking things I've seen. I like to think they all burnt out before touch down. And hopefully they all landed in some guys front yard who woke up the next morning and went WTF! But I won't do any of that. Promise.

And yeah, fireorks in crowds is just stupid.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:04 pm Profile
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next